Quantcast
Anyone have those days where you don't do a god damn thing at work? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone have those days where you don't do a god damn thing at work?

My Ride
    Nothing worth mentioning.

Default Anyone have those days where you don't do a god damn thing at work?

I'm having a lot of those. I think i'm super burnt out and I hate it.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by SJW View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm having a lot of those. I think i'm super burnt out and I hate it.
    My office is like 99% WFH and since we've been working from home the actual amount of work I do in a day has dropped drastically.

Glad I can work in my office so I can play games and watch videos all day to keep myself sane.

My Ride
    Nothing worth mentioning.

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    My office is like 99% WFH and since we've been working from home the actual amount of work I do in a day has dropped drastically.

Glad I can work in my office so I can play games and watch videos all day to keep myself sane.
    I just play the stock market and play a 20 year old video game. Then there's days when I absolutely crush it out and do the job of 4 people.

My Ride
    changes every year

I was just up north on the Athabasca River working for the past week. Nothing will burn you out more than working in the weather we've been having.

I miss working from home when it comes to jobs like that.

My Ride
    G37X

Headphones and some early 90's death metal (Obituary - Cause of Death) seems to be helping with cube farm neighbors who insist on yelling when they're on the phone/spinning around so that their voice is projected to outer space. Tough to focus with the background noise so here I am on beyond

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

I'm trying to get some stuff done, but its so dry and boring. Its also tough because I am waiting on an offer from a new company, so getting into a bunch of projects here and only getting them half done seems like a waste.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Yup, going through that this week. I'm held up cause I can't do anything new until we do our next release, which is held up because the business hasn't signed off, which is held up because they think it's okay to keep throwing in more enhancement requests.

This is frustrating to me cause I'm the kind of guy who likes to just plug in and work away like mad until the day is over.

My Ride
    rally pig

same here, just feels like groundhog day most of the time especially last week with the cold weather that we had.
    fortunately I had to go to the office for a change of scenery yesterday and planning to go in once a week.

but yeah I'm just trying to find new hobbies to do to kill some time and learn.

My Ride
    ute

all the time

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

These things happen. Try and make the best of the time.

I only ever joined beyond as a way to stave off periods of boredom during work hours. Which is definitely not an example of making the best of the time haha.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Left at 5pm

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    These things happen. Try and make the best of the time.
    Yup, you gotta be realistic and cut yourself some slack when these happen, too.

There's days where I crush it, and others where I get nothing done and have limited motivation to do so. When those low days hit, you need to recognize it, relax, and divert to something which recharges you. Trying to work through it or getting frustrated will just burn you out even further.
    Originally posted by scat19
    I have a BMW so im not stupid.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

There's ebbs and flows. I'm very close to hiring another person in my team to handle some tasks that have stayed at the bottom of my list for too long. Then at least I'll have the comfort of knowing something is getting done when I'm not doing it.

There's some jobs where it's easy to get into the groove and just keep pushing ahead every day. The more mentally taxing or creative roles are less consistent.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Yup.

There will always be days where you do more work than others. It doesn't really matter what your job is, nobody is hard at work absolutely 100% of the time. A lot of jobs are cyclical too, such as accounting, where you are incredibly busy a few times per month and less busy for the rest.

I find I work harder at home because if I am at my computer anyway in the evening, I might just start working on something to get it done sooner, where as if I was in the office, I am better at leaving work at work when the day ends.

I also notice people who I am pretty sure are doing virtually nothing at home must set alarms or something, because they start sending emails at 5pm sharp every day, obviously trying to make people think they were so busy all day and are working late They aren't fooling anyone, especially when I can see their status on Teams/Outlook that they have been away for hours haha.

If you find that you are having a lot of free time but still getting all your work done, I would either ask for more work (if there is any), take up a side hustle, or try to learn a new skill in the spare time.

Quote Originally Posted by taemo View Post
    same here, just feels like groundhog day most of the time especially last week with the cold weather that we had.
    fortunately I had to go to the office for a change of scenery yesterday and planning to go in once a week.

but yeah I'm just trying to find new hobbies to do to kill some time and learn.
    Definitely groundhog day.
    Started humming NIN Everyday is exactly the same. Then I just got into listening to the whole discography while working.

My Ride
    G37X

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    If you find that you are having a lot of free time but still getting all your work done, I would either ask for more work (if there is any), take up a side hustle, or try to learn a new skill in the spare time.
    Never ask for more work. It means you get all the crap jobs that no one else wanted to do. Sometimes I wonder how Accountants do what they do day in, day out. Staring at excel sheets and clicking like robots all day.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

My opinion since moving to Canada 14 years ago is that Canadians atleast in the companies Ive worked for in Calgary get alot of time to do their projects and tasks. I remember when I worked at Shaw I completed my tasks way quicker than the rest of the team and I was always asking for more work / browsing / training new skills - I couldn't figure out how my team mates werent bored with taking ages and ages to do the same types of tasks whilst not appearing to do anything else to take up their time. Shaw at the time (unsure now) tracked their employees browsing time at work and I was in the top ten in the building but also had completed all my tasks. I also worked for Telus (but outsourced to another company) it was basically the same just loads and loads of time on my hands and very little work.

My Ride
    Axis powers

There's days where it's beyond painful with nothing to do and there's other days where I need to work all night
    Sig nuked by mod.

Quote Originally Posted by Hallowed_point View Post
    Never ask for more work. It means you get all the crap jobs that no one else wanted to do. Sometimes I wonder how Accountants do what they do day in, day out. Staring at excel sheets and clicking like robots all day.
    I've done it several times before and making myself more valuable has never worked out badly for me. YMMV I guess. Especially in this market I want to have as much work as possible so when they look at who to lay off, I am doing more work than the next guy.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by Hallowed_point View Post
    Never ask for more work. It means you get all the crap jobs that no one else wanted to do.
    Name:  tenor.gif
Views: 376
Size:  219.1 KB

My advice to anyone reading this: that's horrible advice.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast