Quantcast
Anyone have those days where you don't do a god damn thing at work? - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Anyone have those days where you don't do a god damn thing at work?

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I’ll buy you a beer if they’re still singing this tune if/when they’re out of work a year from now. I’m all for looking at the bright side of things, but the only reason I’d be happy about being let go was if I had another job lined up.

They should definitely be revisiting staffing levels if this is the case. If it was my company I’d sure be looking to get rid of anyone that is just counting time til the end of the day. Overstaffing is not the path to profitability.
    Its not a over staffing issue. Its that I'm the office IT support and if I'm gone they don't have a way to maintain it right now. In the last year and a bit we already dropped 20 people from the office count and when things run well there isn't much to do.

With that said there IS stuff they need me around for such as right now we have phone issues in the office so I'm basically on stand by for this weekend now.

Should note.. its not just the Calgary office in this situation.. There are others.
    Last edited by firebane; 02-19-2021 at 09:46 PM.

My Ride
    Audi

I’ll buy you a beer if they’re still singing this tune if/when they’re out of work a year from now. I’m all for looking at the bright side of things, but the only reason I’d be happy about being let go was if I had another job lined up.
    Most of the people I've talked to aren't stressed by it yet. Once severance runs out they will go on EI and dig into savings. But yeah I'd give them another... 1-1.5 years before they have to start working again.

The one guy who said the "best thing ever", got 1 year severance, took 5 months off and picked up 2 contracting jobs. He figures he will work till the summer and take it off again. YMMV I guess.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    Its not a over staffing issue. Its that I'm the office IT support and if I'm gone they don't have a way to maintain it right now. In the last year and a bit we already dropped 20 people from the office count and when things run well there isn't much to do.

With that said there IS stuff they need me around for such as right now we have phone issues in the office so I'm basically on stand by for this weekend now.

Should note.. its not just the Calgary office in this situation.. There are others.
    That makes sense. I was interpreting your post as if there was more than one person in this position; downtime is definitely a normal part of the job for IT support stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by hampstor View Post
    Most of the people I've talked to aren't stressed by it yet. Once severance runs out they will go on EI and dig into savings. But yeah I'd give them another... 1-1.5 years before they have to start working again.

The one guy who said the "best thing ever", got 1 year severance, took 5 months off and picked up 2 contracting jobs. He figures he will work till the summer and take it off again. YMMV I guess.
    That's great to hear. My assumption is that guy is the exception (hopefully I'm wrong), but good to hear nonetheless.

They should definitely be revisiting staffing levels if this is the case. If it was my company I’d sure be looking to get rid of anyone that is just counting time til the end of the day. Overstaffing is not the path to profitability.
    It often amazes me how easily companies continue to function after significant layoffs. At least from my observations in O&G, overstaffing is pretty common. It seems especially bad in larger companies with multiple levels of management (Team Leader, Manager, VP, Senior VP, etc.) Low level employees tend to do most of the actual work, and I think that leaves some people in management worrying about how to look valuable.

My Ride
    Silverado

Imagine what the public sector looks like without these culls every few years. Epitome of inefficiency.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

They have whole departments dedicated to managing the bureaucracy. And maybe a few extra departments to manage those.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Nothing worth mentioning.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    Imagine what the public sector looks like without these culls every few years. Epitome of inefficiency.
    This is why I’m burnt out. 6 eng projects. Not one completed. Some have had first tests. I’m behind on reports. I’m behind on ordering parts. Drawings get no checking so they are rife with missing dims. Boss comes in scolding me for not ordering seals. I mean fuck it’s not that I don’t want to work hard it’s just that I’m starting to not care. I’m Peter Gibbons at this point.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Hard to do proactively, but I do find a new project, or an internal move, can really help with that. Jumping into a new team can be a real energizer. Or a whole company, although that's a lot harder.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Put in my notice of resignation yesterday... Company wants me to work out my two weeks as I'm not going to a competitor... Looks like I will be posting on beyond a lot over the next couple weeks!

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

lol. Classic.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Born in Stuttgart

I think for me its really just depression caused by the pandemic. Missing seeing my family, my wifes father just got diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer and we cant even fly out to see them. Its been a year working from home and the isolation is starting to get to me as well. I normally book a tropical vacation this time of year to cheer up our family but cant really do that now too. Covid fatigue is real.

My Ride
    A car, a truck, and a bike

Burned out you say? Yes, very much yes.

Compassion fatigue, moral injury, OSI, SAD, and then the fatigue of dissenting opinions on COVID. Can't do anything about it, just take time as I need, don't drink too much, keep the anxiety at bay and wait until things get better
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

you think dissenting opinions on Covid are bad? Try having a dissenting opinion on those bumbo baby seats! that's the real shark tank.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    A car, a truck, and a bike

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    you think dissenting opinions on Covid are bad? Try having a dissenting opinion on those bumbo baby seats! that's the real shark tank.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboMedic View Post

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

I'm having one of those days now, I like them. I'll probably go to the car wash, then enjoy a nice coffee somewhere and go home and soak in the tub for awhile then head to the gym at the end of the day. Flexibility to work when you need to and do what you want is the fucking tits. And it makes me appreciate the weeks when there isn't any breathing room because it's so busy.
    Last edited by JRSC00LUDE; 02-23-2021 at 12:47 PM.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3