Quantcast
Anyone have those days where you don't do a god damn thing at work? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have those days where you don't do a god damn thing at work?

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Yeah all the time when my boss gets involved with my work day...

My Ride
    G37X

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Attachment 97579

My advice to anyone reading this: that's horrible advice.
    That's not to say, don't take initiative. But being a dummy that asks for more work without looking for what else to do, not a great idea imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Hallowed_point View Post
    That's not to say, don't take initiative. But being a dummy that asks for more work without looking for what else to do, not a great idea imo.
    The whole reason one would ask for more work is because they have already looked for what else to do and there wasn't anything. Every time I've done it, it has always been very well received and the work given to me was never garbage work like data entry. I don't think any decent manager would dump that kind of work on someone trying to make themselves more valuable.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    Attachment 97579

My advice to anyone reading this: that's horrible advice.
    Agree. I was going to say this but I got hungry and ate clam chowder from a can with a big dent in it. I like it to be a mystery when I'm feeling awful.

Yeah, you can actually make a lucrative career out of dealing with the difficult jobs that no one else wants to do and are eager to pass on. It's hard work, but you quickly become invaluable and that's not such a bad place to be.

My Ride
    Audi

Yes, with office workers during covid19 who are in a WFH/mixed office environment. I was recently talking about it with another manager in another department and we're all suffering the same fatigue. Diminishing marginal returns for productivity as the pandemic goes on is the words we used. Some days, you stare blankly at the screen. Something that used to take 30 minutes to do, is now taking hours, or days to get done. Worrying that your staff know that we're not as productive as we used to be, or recognizing it and speaking about it within the team.

We've noted there's a limit to what all the help get can actually do to halt that slow slide into , (mental health support available, taking more breaks, all the 'go for walks and do phyisical activity' advise, all the postivity/celebrating success, etc).

Not sure where to go from here, or if this is what we just accept as the new norm until we get back to the "before times".

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

It’s good to have Hallowed Point back. We were running out of colourful members of the site.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Nothing worth mentioning.

I had a good productive day today. Yesterday was a write off. I’m also leaving early.

My Ride
    G37X

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    The whole reason one would ask for more work is because they have already looked for what else to do and there wasn't anything. Every time I've done it, it has always been very well received and the work given to me was never garbage work like data entry. I don't think any decent manager would dump that kind of work on someone trying to make themselves more valuable.
    One would hope they wouldn't, depends on the manager. Sadly, I find a lot of people struggle with taking initiative even with something as simple as emptying the garbage can/recycling or coffee maker when it's full. Or unloading the office dishwasher. I've rarely been in that situation where I'm wondering what I'm going to do next at work. Mentor coworkers if you're truly out of ideas would be my suggestion. Also, most jobs have the hectic/busy periods and quieter times , I don't see anything wrong with that either.

My Ride
    Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by hampstor View Post
    Yes, with office workers during covid19 who are in a WFH/mixed office environment. I was recently talking about it with another manager in another department and we're all suffering the same fatigue. Diminishing marginal returns for productivity as the pandemic goes on is the words we used. Some days, you stare blankly at the screen. Something that used to take 30 minutes to do, is now taking hours, or days to get done. Worrying that your staff know that we're not as productive as we used to be, or recognizing it and speaking about it within the team.

We've noted there's a limit to what all the help get can actually do to halt that slow slide into , (mental health support available, taking more breaks, all the 'go for walks and do phyisical activity' advise, all the postivity/celebrating success, etc).

Not sure where to go from here, or if this is what we just accept as the new norm until we get back to the "before times".

sounds like a bunch of lazy ass motherfuckers over there - fire them - productivity should be through the roof since WFH means less time dealing w/ bullshit stuff.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

It’s less lazy and more opportunistic. WFH enables the dogfuckers of the world to get away with murder.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Hallowed_point View Post
    One would hope they wouldn't, depends on the manager. Sadly, I find a lot of people struggle with taking initiative even with something as simple as emptying the garbage can/recycling or coffee maker when it's full. Or unloading the office dishwasher. I've rarely been in that situation where I'm wondering what I'm going to do next at work. Mentor coworkers if you're truly out of ideas would be my suggestion. Also, most jobs have the hectic/busy periods and quieter times , I don't see anything wrong with that either.
    I'm not sure how well it would be received if I started going office to office trying to mentor other professionals haha. If you have someone working "under" you, mentoring them is already part of your job, at least that has always been my experience.

All we're saying is that especially in this environment where we're VERY lucky to still be employed (I am in O&G and I think many others are too), making yourself as valuable as possible and putting as much work on your plate as possible is never a bad thing. As someone else mentioned, even if the work you get is crappy, that makes you arguably even more valuable because now you're the guy doing what nobody else wants to do, and firing you means someone else has to do it.

The only situation I can think of where it's bad to ask for more work is unions haha - then everyone else gets mad at you.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 02-19-2021 at 03:31 PM.

My Ride
    G37X

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    It’s less lazy and more opportunistic. WFH enables the dogfuckers of the world to get away with murder.
    I think it's the opposite, if they're an office worker and send the bulk of their emails at the end of the day and are MIA or away in Zoom etc it's pretty obvious what's going on.

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    I work with several people who I don't think realize their Outlook/Teams show how long they've been away. They pop on once a day at 5pm and send an email to make people think they are working like a dog, and are "away for 7 hours" or whatever before that Some of them I think even set alarms because it's 5pm sharp almost every day.

My Ride
    G37X

I'm not sure how well it would be received if I started going office to office trying to mentor other professionals haha. If you have someone working "under" you, mentoring them is already part of your job, at least that has always been my experience.

All we're saying is that especially in this environment where we're VERY lucky to still be employed (I am in O&G and I think many others are too), making yourself as valuable as possible and putting as much work on your plate as possible is never a bad thing. As someone else mentioned, even if the work you get is crappy, that makes you arguably even more valuable because now you're the guy doing what nobody else wants to do, and firing you means someone else has to do it.

The only situation I can think of where it's bad to ask for more work is unions haha - then everyone else gets mad at you.
    Yeah I'll agree with you on that for sure, grateful to be working. Also from a psychological aspect, a boss is more likely to go to bat for you if you've gone out of your way to ask for more work. Although I've also seen the slackers who are buddy buddy or related to higher ups kept around while the good workers are laid off !! But agree that it's better to demonstrate your value and become as close to irreplaceable as possible.

My Ride
    Audi

From speaking with a few people in O&G, it seems like people are now split into 2 main camps:

1) Killing themselves to be valuable so they still have a job. It's worse now than in 2015. One thing they've noted is because no one can see how late you work anymore, emails are flying out at all hours to show 'how late i've been working'. The reality is their productivity steadily drops because they can't take care of themselves, so they're working extra hours just to do the same thing.
    2) Those who are waiting for a package and once they get it, will sit out of the workforce for a few years until things get back to normal. They may take the odd contracting gig here and there just to keep things going.

As the pandemic has gone on and layoffs keep piling on, i'm seeing people in (1) realize that people in (2) are doing fine as the packages are in the 6 months+. I know several people who were laid off in the June/July timeframe and said it was the best thing that's happened to them. To quote one of the guys .... "When was the last time where you had the summer off with no obligations, and money to spend?"

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I mean WFH is also a great opportunity to make your hours work better for you.

I have days where I am grinding away into the evening despite having a slow day because things came up near EOD. That’s life and doesn’t really bother me. If people are getting their shit done I don’t really care what their teams statuses are.

Now when those same people push their deadlines every week because they are “swamped” despite spending their day working in Reno’s or walking the dog? Not cool.

Anyways, these topics always end up circular lol

fact.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

The worrying about being productive is definitely something I think about every day. My work is usually reflected in time tracked through tickets in the system. But with everyone working from home and things working so well nothing is really being done and most days I'm counting the hours till I'm done.

I honestly feel that even when the office is opened and staff can go back there still won't be much of a work load and still be mostly just counting time.

But I definitely don't like feeling that people are looking at numbers and thinking "is there a need for him"?

My Ride
    2007 4Runner

I'm glad that with my job we WFH 2 or 3 days a week and go into on the other days. If it wasn't for that I'd crack up it think.

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

I use to have those days, just trying to look busy but doing nothing at all. New job not so much
    Machining, Fabricating, Welding etc.

My Ride
    V8s

I know several people who were laid off in the June/July timeframe and said it was the best thing that's happened to them. To quote one of the guys .... "When was the last time where you had the summer off with no obligations, and money to spend?"
    I’ll buy you a beer if they’re still singing this tune if/when they’re out of work a year from now. I’m all for looking at the bright side of things, but the only reason I’d be happy about being let go was if I had another job lined up.

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    I honestly feel that even when the office is opened and staff can go back there still won't be much of a work load and still be mostly just counting time.

But I definitely don't like feeling that people are looking at numbers and thinking "is there a need for him"?
    They should definitely be revisiting staffing levels if this is the case. If it was my company I’d sure be looking to get rid of anyone that is just counting time til the end of the day. Overstaffing is not the path to profitability.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast