Quantcast
Consumer Reports: Which Car Brands Make the Best Vehicles? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 37 of 37

Thread: Consumer Reports: Which Car Brands Make the Best Vehicles?

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Calgary, Ab
    My Ride
    Zonda CRV
    Posts
    746
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not only that, but it probably helps that they don't have turbo systems on most of their vehicles. They tend to keep them underpowered and as simple as possible to help protect their reliability reputation, at least that's the impression I get.
    I agree.
    I also think cost of ownership is not factored in the survey. People don't buy vehicles because they are the 'best'. Its because they are cheap to operate and cheap to run. The money saved is put into appreciating assets.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Edmonton
    My Ride
    Megun/Kyosho/965
    Posts
    3,209
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Tesla has the highest owner satisfactory?

    I think more people complain about Tesla than others?

    I still believe "You buy what you like" ..
    The Original !

    1234567, ¦h³Ò¦h±o

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Egg Sammich
    Posts
    1,418
    Rep Power
    43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by C4S View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Tesla has the highest owner satisfactory?

    I think more people complain about Tesla than others?
    I've learned from internet that Tesla owners don't complain about anything with Tesla. They are called "fanboiz".
    Those who complain, don't even own Tesla cars. They are called "h8ers".

    Internet doesn't lie.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    My Ride
    A vehicle or two
    Posts
    4,289
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    I dunno. I read another reliability report last year from JD I think that was largely different than last year's CR ranking. I'm sure they use different criteria - but I don't have a lot of faith in these studies/reports. Good to see BMW apparently making a premium product. Now if the other Germans can follow suit...

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Down by the River
    My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570
    Posts
    721
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Are these scores still heavily influenced by the tech systems in cars? I remember when Ford had horrible rating because old people couldn’t operate Sync.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duplex
    My Ride
    Ignore List
    Posts
    8,828
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SkiBum5.0 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are these scores still heavily influenced by the tech systems in cars? I remember when Ford had horrible rating because old people couldn’t operate Sync.
    If it causes complaints, it effects the score. So, in short, yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by schurchill39 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh god, don't get him started.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    335d, GP2, P71
    Posts
    6,493
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    The early non touch screen Sync systems were a little annoying to pair phones and play Bluetooth music so I can see why.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duplex
    My Ride
    Ignore List
    Posts
    8,828
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    In the end, none of the ranking or rating systems are very good. But consumers reports is at least not a purchased rating like motor trend, and it's different than the rest, which gives new and useful information to a car buyer.
    Quote Originally Posted by schurchill39 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh god, don't get him started.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Unemployment Line
    My Ride
    Sierra, RDX
    Posts
    2,631
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SkiBum5.0 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are these scores still heavily influenced by the tech systems in cars? I remember when Ford had horrible rating because old people couldn’t operate Sync.
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If it causes complaints, it effects the score. So, in short, yes.
    This is probably what is affecting Acura, especially with the refresh. Old people who can't operate a smartphone aren't going to have a good time with the new infotainment
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Calgary, Canada
    My Ride
    Acura TLX SH-AWD
    Posts
    2,000
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Any type of aggregated analysis here is going to have flaws for sure.

    What's the solution if you wanted the answer to, "What is the most reliable new car"?
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    10,291
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SkiBum5.0 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are these scores still heavily influenced by the tech systems in cars? I remember when Ford had horrible rating because old people couldn’t operate Sync.
    If grandma can't figure out the infotainment, that is counted as a problem even if there is none. Same as JD power. Severity of the 'problem' is also not taken into account. Nothing is investigated or confirmed. The fact that consumers are their source of information is largely what invalidates the whole thing.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 02-22-2021 at 12:48 PM.

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Egg Sammich
    Posts
    1,418
    Rep Power
    43

    Default

    Can they tell me what cat-back is best for my Civic?
    I want the one that is best.

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    C-Town
    My Ride
    X3M Competition
    Posts
    7,203
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If grandma can't figure out the infotainment, that is counted as a problem even if there is none. Same as JD power. Severity of the 'problem' is also not taken into account. Nothing is investigated or confirmed. The fact that consumers are their source of information is largely what invalidates the whole thing.
    That may hold water if only senior citizens are doing the surveys but we know that's not the case. Also simple research can debunk your post as CR pretty well notes that 'severity' is taken into account.

    Engine major, engine cooling, transmission major, and drive system problems are more likely to take a car out of service and to be more expensive to repair than the other problem areas. Consequently, we weight these areas more heavily in our calculations of model year Overall Reliability Verdict. Problems such as broken trim and in-car electronics have a much smaller weight. Problems in any area can be an expense and a bother, though, so we report them all in the Reliability History charts.
    https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...liability-faq/

    I know you are upset that the results don't match your Honda ownership experience but statistics always trump anecdotal evidence. Some people are lucky, some aren't, and the rest receive goods largely in accordance with the statistics.
    Last edited by heavyD; 02-22-2021 at 01:45 PM.

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    10,291
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heavyD View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That may hold water if only senior citizens are doing the surveys but we know that's not the case. Also simple research can debunk your post as CR pretty well notes that 'severity' is taken into account.

    I know you are upset that the results don't match your Honda ownership experience but statistics always trump anecdotal evidence. Some people are lucky, some aren't, and the rest receive goods largely in accordance with the statistics.
    What are you even talking about You sound confused. Everyone in this thread is saying the same thing. You're clearly upset people are pointing out the flaws in your little news article, just get over it - consumers are not reliable sources of information for a variety of reasons.

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Egg Sammich
    Posts
    1,418
    Rep Power
    43

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    GLC43
    Posts
    8,538
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FraserB View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is probably what is affecting Acura, especially with the refresh. Old people who can't operate a smartphone aren't going to have a good time with the new infotainment
    I think that part of JD Power rating is why dealerships now have like 30min-1hr training session to get you at least pair your phone before you leave the dealership.

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    C-Town
    My Ride
    X3M Competition
    Posts
    7,203
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No kidding. I actually brought up information debunking his post when he says severity of the problem isn't taken into consideration and he pretends it didn't happen while trying to move the goalposts. Just accept when you are wrong for crying out loud.
    Last edited by heavyD; 02-22-2021 at 08:07 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 20
    Latest Threads: 10-30-2009, 04:22 PM
  2. Acura and Volkswagen rate tops on Consumer Reports

    By treg50 in forum Automotive News
    Replies: 0
    Latest Threads: 02-28-2006, 11:24 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Latest Threads: 01-13-2006, 01:07 PM
  4. Consumer Reports Quality Survey - Subaru Owners rejoice

    By Altezza in forum Automotive News
    Replies: 45
    Latest Threads: 03-09-2005, 12:57 PM
  5. Consumer Reports problems per 100 vehicles

    By googe in forum General Car/Bike Talk
    Replies: 19
    Latest Threads: 01-11-2004, 04:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •