Quantcast
ERP software - anything people actually LIKE? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: ERP software - anything people actually LIKE?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Our China team has suggested this one, naturally from China. https://www.yonyou.com.sg/products/u8/
    I think getting any application that is able to work inside China without a VPN as well as in North America, is going to be a huge problem. I don't know how crucial that requirement is, that decision is happening several levels above me.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Non Baller Vehicles

Used a few different ones in the past, SAP being the worst by far...as was said, multiple experts required to accomplish the most basic tasks.

I was part of the team who migrated parts of and old system into new format for SAP to read and it was just utter bullshit. The way its structured meant it would have been excellent if you did the exact same thing day after day with no alterations, but in the industry I was in (Aviation R&O) when there was any deviation, it couldn't have been more of a hassle.

In the power gen industry, I was using Oracle but only at a very basic level to order supplies and PPE, seemed a little out of date

I've also used Pegasus Opera II in the medical device industry, and it was probably the best out of the 3. It was a very old school interface and the newest one is probably way better, but each of the functions performed well, again until you needed to do something outwith the regular scope of business.

Don't know if that's any help to you

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Ah, just got an update from someone who's much more plugged into this project than me, and after a short meeting with an SAP implementation consultant, it have been removed from the running as an option. Thank Allah.

Apparently one of the options they are looking at is Axelor ( https://www.axelor.com/). I assume the price was what first attracted them, hahahaha. Although it looks like the sort of package that does what we want. If we figure out what we want
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Hahaha, well sounds like I missed a fun time at the meeting with the SAP consultant. After a lot of evasive answers about costs, I guess they were able to determine that to even get a written quote would be minimum 1 month of consuming work and $20k worth of billable hours. $20k for a quote!
    One of the manager just walked out and the meeting was over pretty quickly.

Yeah, almost sorry I missed it.

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    The problem isn’t the ERP. The problem is that every company wants to customize the ERP. Most companies are running bastardized version that require full time on site support.
    Very true.

On the HRM side, I have been using Ulti-Pro, and actually it's not bad. Doesn't have all the bells and whistles of SAP (which I liked in a way), but responsive, intuitive and cheap cheap cheap
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    LoL, SAP. How do they have customers?!?
    Systems Against People.
    Probably captured audience. Take a shit load of consulting fee to leave, and usually a career ender for anyone that tries it.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Hahaha, well sounds like I missed a fun time at the meeting with the SAP consultant. After a lot of evasive answers about costs, I guess they were able to determine that to even get a written quote would be minimum 1 month of consuming work and $20k worth of billable hours. $20k for a quote!
    One of the manager just walked out and the meeting was over pretty quickly.

Yeah, almost sorry I missed it.
    Sounds about right. Same with Oracle's JDE. If they pick either of these, get ready to pay.

My advice is if you are merging companies, make sure you sort out all the business processes and consolidate before going out for a quote. OR the reverse is pick the one you think offers the closest/best process in the field and move everyone there to adopt the processes.

Just make sure avoid customization if possible. That's where cost goes way up and a few individuals will end up having you by the balls.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 02-24-2021 at 12:21 PM.

My Ride
    Audi

Hampstor, didn't mean to ignore you on this. That's good advice. In our case, we are a company that has folded in several smaller companies in the last year or so, and the management has already decided an ERP system is required. I don't disagree. However, I do worry that we may need to do some hard work on what we want our internal processes to look like BEFORE we introduce any kind of "system" or software to assist us with those processes. Right now, it's quite informal and disorganized. As of today, we do not have well defined internal processes.

My dream, as someone who is impacted by this future ERP system, is a piece of software that comes with pre-built best practices or workflows for similar businesses, and our company would mostly adopt those without major modifications. I don't know how realistic that is on the software side, or on our side either.
    Having spent about a decade in the SAP space, despite its costs, and mutual hate amongst its users, it's very powerful and important to help large organizations organize their business processes coherently, and deliver key information for decision makers in their specific areas (not just back office HR/SCM/Finance, but also in line of business areas). It's not for every company and i'd say for most companies, it's significantly overkill.

I can't stress the business processes enough when buying any application. Many many companies view software as a 'tool' and not a business process, or a workflow. While the 'tool' analogy is good for something like MS Office, management will often extend it to department, and then organizational wide business processes. How often have you heard "We need to implement ServiceNow" or "we need to buy a tool to do this" in the software space. If you don't know what you're trying to do, you're going to live in hell through epic implementation costs and scope creep, and then epic sustainment costs. My last organization spent hundreds of millions of dollars going back to vanilla SAP R3 so they could be ready for S4. They didn't want to change their business processes enough and customized the living shit out of it when it was originally implemented.

Since your management is focused on the ERP route (not a bad choice), make sure your requirements are simply not just functional requirements, but business functions and workflows. It'll at least get peoples eyes open that they have to change how they work, and think about what works best for their areas. You may find that you may only want core-ERP functionality with one platform, and then bring in another platform for other business functions.

Best of luck. May the odds be ever in your favour.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I probably can't talk in much more detail about business processes or organizational structure in a public forum. But we have identified some issues, and I think as we formalize some of this we will identify many more.
    We aren't starting from a position where we'll be able to do this perfectly. I think we have a good shot at doing this clumsily and still coming out ahead.

Friends don't let friends buy SAP. It's like the software version of that old guy who doesn't want to share anything he does with anyone, convinced they will keep him employed because he's the only one who knows how to do things.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by J-D View Post
    Friends don't let friends buy SAP. It's like the software version of that old guy who doesn't want to share anything he does with anyone, convinced they will keep him employed because he's the only one who knows how to do things.
    That's basically all software with customization. Once everyone is accustom to it, it's hard to change and get out. SAP just get shit on because anyone competent in this suite charges more than lawyers does.

My Ride
    Audi

Quote Originally Posted by J-D View Post
    "no one ever got fired for picking SAP, in fact they often get promoted for it"

Quote Originally Posted by hampstor View Post
    Having spent about a decade in the SAP space, despite its costs, and mutual hate amongst its users, it's very powerful and important to help large organizations organize their business processes coherently, and deliver key information for decision makers in their specific areas (not just back office HR/SCM/Finance, but also in line of business areas). It's not for every company and i'd say for most companies, it's significantly overkill.

I can't stress the business processes enough when buying any application. Many many companies view software as a 'tool' and not a business process, or a workflow. While the 'tool' analogy is good for something like MS Office, management will often extend it to department, and then organizational wide business processes. How often have you heard "We need to implement ServiceNow" or "we need to buy a tool to do this" in the software space. If you don't know what you're trying to do, you're going to live in hell through epic implementation costs and scope creep, and then epic sustainment costs. My last organization spent hundreds of millions of dollars going back to vanilla SAP R3 so they could be ready for S4. They didn't want to change their business processes enough and customized the living shit out of it when it was originally implemented.

Since your management is focused on the ERP route (not a bad choice), make sure your requirements are simply not just functional requirements, but business functions and workflows. It'll at least get peoples eyes open that they have to change how they work, and think about what works best for their areas. You may find that you may only want core-ERP functionality with one platform, and then bring in another platform for other business functions.

Best of luck. May the odds be ever in your favour.
    The advantages of having consolidated data is extremely valuable.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    That's basically all software with customization. Once everyone is accustom to it, it's hard to change and get out. SAP just get shit on because anyone competent in this suite charges more than lawyers does.
    I can say for a fact that they don't. Because holy fuck lawyers charge a TON.

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    The advantages of having consolidated data is extremely valuable.

- - - Updated - - -

I can say for a fact that they don't. Because holy fuck lawyers charge a TON.
    At the end of the day, accurate data will drive success in an erp system and can make or break a business. Need to have everyone buy in to make it work.
    If you don't have accurate data things will eventually fall apart

KPI is proving to be a powerful platform (so far)
    Machining, Fabricating, Welding etc.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Hey, have a slightly different question on the same topic for a different company that a friend of mine runs. What's the "lightest" cloud-based ERP system? Just needs to do really basic functions like inventory tracking, maintenance schedules, work order/ticket system, material tracking etc.
    doesn't even need financial side, just the sort of things you'd need to run a couple warehouses basically. You could probably do it all in access with azure front-end or something.

Quote Originally Posted by hampstor View Post
    "no one ever got fired for picking SAP, in fact they often get promoted for it"
    Also a lot of free shit. Trips to Monaco, booze, hookers, blow...
    I'm just extrapolating based on what I've heard.

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

Hey, have a slightly different question on the same topic for a different company that a friend of mine runs. What's the "lightest" cloud-based ERP system? Just needs to do really basic functions like inventory tracking, maintenance schedules, work order/ticket system, material tracking etc.
    doesn't even need financial side, just the sort of things you'd need to run a couple warehouses basically. You could probably do it all in access with azure front-end or something.
    IBM Maximo does all that very well and is class leading

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

ERP’s are for people who wake up one day and think to themselves.

I wish my business ran more like the government…
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

There is some truth to that statement.

IBM Maximo looks to be built on the SAP business model, hire a consultant to start the process of getting a price quote. Eventually avoid high consulting costs by hiring them as employees! Probably appropriate for some companies, but not for any I'd want to run. Gross.

My Ride
    *The First*

Very much truth.
    We bill to a client who still writes paper cheques and they can handle Net 14. We also bill to a listed company with over $10 billion in annual revenue and they can't manage to pay in 60 days.

If you're looking for something simplistic you could look at something like ECI E2. As long as you don't want to get too fancy with it the functionality is decent and affordable, before our big growth we used it and did everything fine. With some of the growth we've had it started to falter and had to look for a better solution. The one thing I will say is don't cheap out and be very aware of your business needs otherwise you will end up with a less than ideal solution and be shopping again in a couple years which is where we are right now.

And stay the fuck away from Global Shop Solutions.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast