Quantcast
1959 Mercedes 190SL Restoration - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 1959 Mercedes 190SL Restoration

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

Full floating wrist pins, only 3 main journals and the crankcase is painted? Interesting. Any pics of the crankshaft and combustion chamber?
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    08 RS4

Quote Originally Posted by 90_Shelby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Full floating wrist pins, only 3 main journals and the crankcase is painted? Interesting. Any pics of the crankshaft and combustion chamber?
    The paint inside the crankcase is called glyptol. It seals the porous cast steel and keeps the oil flowing nicely. They also used this stuff on the inside of the differential and steering box. Here are some additional pictures you had requested.
    Attached Images Attached Images        

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

Very cool. Painting the crankcase isn’t completely uncommon with performance engine builds but I’ve never seen it in on an OEM engine and wild they did it back then.

The counterweight at the front of the crank and middle makes me guess that the engine must be externally balanced on the rear only? Does the flywheel have a weight cast into it?

The combustion chamber is also wild, in that it hangs over the top of the deck of the block. It almost look like the exhaust valve opens over the deck surface a portion as well. Crazy. Can you share a pic of the top of the piston?

Thanks for sharing the pics, this engine is very unique from anything I’ve seen or worked on in the past.
    I like neat cars.

I’ll see what additional pics I can dig up for you tomorrow. I have a new flywheel I can take a picture of. I’ll also be posting some more pics of the engine assembly. These cars were definitely engineered to a different level compared to a lot of American cars of the same period.

My Ride
    08 RS4

Here are the pics of a piston and the flywheel. I'm not sure I really needed a new fly wheel but I did need a new ring gear. The cost of a ring gear was $370 USD vs a complete flywheel with ring at $430 USD. It made a lot more sense to just replace the whole thing vs the added labour of changing the ring gear plus any added machining on the flywheel.

My Ride
    08 RS4

Here I'm starting to assemble the block after getting it back from machining. Last picture shows checking of the crankshaft end play with a dial indicator.

My Ride
    is Invisible

Definitely one of the better threads on beyond in recent time. Looking forward to the rest of the build.

My Ride
    08 RS4

Some more photos from the engine assembly. The block was machined out to the first repair size piston. Head received new valve guides and seals. Replaced all the gears on the timing gear train. You can see in the last couple of pictures the amount of wear on the original gears compared to the new.

My Ride
    08 RS4

Some more from the engine assembly. I decided to install a modern alternator vs using the original generator. A couple other items I probably won't be keeping original are using a newer gear reduction starter, an electronic distributor and adding a spin on oil filter. These are all just bolt on changes which makes use and maintenance a bit easier but allow for going back to original very simple. This is currently how far I've got with the engine. Not really much left to do other bolting on the water pump, exhaust manifold, distributor, carbs and the flywheel.

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

Can you post a pic of what mechanism is used to transfer cam lobe movement to the valves? I was trying to figure out how it works from a previous cylinder head pic.
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    08 RS4

Ya none of the previous pics showed the rocker towers and arms. The valve clearance adjustment bolts are not installed in the second picture.

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

Neat. The spring wire simply holds the rocker against the stand it looks like? And the rockers and stands are oiled via splash from the camshaft? It looks like pressurized oil feeds from the front main bearing up into the head, through the cam pedestal and into the camshaft? Or are the rockers oiled through the rocker stands?
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    08 RS4

Quote Originally Posted by 90_Shelby View Post
    Neat. The spring wire simply holds the rocker against the stand it looks like? And the rockers and stands are oiled via splash from the camshaft? It looks like pressurized oil feeds from the front main bearing up into the head, through the cam pedestal and into the camshaft? Or are the rockers oiled through the rocker stands?
    That's right the spring just keeps the rockers against the stand and the rockers are oiled via the camshaft. Hopefully you can read the details on the oiling system in these attached pictures.
    Last edited by G-RS4; 03-01-2021 at 10:19 PM.

G-RS4, I'm ignorant regarding most of the members careers/etc here, so forgive me for asking if this is well known - are you a mechanic or do you have training/experience in working on these vehicles? The work and pictures look incredibly good, just wondering if this type of quality is possible from amateur home garage mechanics/etc. I'd sure love to be able to do this type of restoration or even general upgrades myself sometime.

My Ride
    08 RS4

I'm not a mechanic, I was a journeyman electrician but have been working as an estimator for a large engineering company for the past 17 years. I used to do most of the mechanical repairs on my cars when I was younger so I had a bit of knowledge and experience.

These older cars are fairly simple and basic to work on. Having a shop manual and lots of resources on the internet definitely makes things a bit easier. There's definitely things you need to take to others to complete like the refinishing of parts, plating and machining, but the dis-assembly/assembly most people would be able to handle. I've also needed some special tools, some which I've had to fab myself.

I think at the end of the day it just takes being willing to try something for the first time. The one last big mechanical piece I'm a little bit hesitant or unsure what to do with is the gear box. Haven't got the courage yet to completely pull it apart.

Edit: I forgot to mention it's important to be very organized. Take lots of photos and tag/label everything. Even label new parts as they arrive. At the beginning there were times I had ordered parts and by the time you get around to assembly you don't remember what the parts are for.
    Last edited by G-RS4; 03-03-2021 at 09:17 AM.

My Ride
    Touareg, Cayenne, 944s

I find the fact that there are only 3 main bearings very striking. It doesn't fit into my brain very well.

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by JustinL View Post
    I find the fact that there are only 3 main bearings very striking. It doesn't fit into my brain very well.
    Flathead Ford V8's also only had 3 main bearings.
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Quote Originally Posted by JustinL View Post
    Hey, at least they're not poured Babbitt bearings.

My Ride
    08 RS4

Here's what my garage with the mess of parts after all the parts disassembly. Also some of the refinished parts coming back.

My Ride
    08 RS4

Here some of the work on the front end parts.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast