Quantcast
Virtual residential address? MINOR THREAD - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: What should I do?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Move to Saskatchewan and stay there you piece of shit

    3 27.27%
  • Go fuck yourself

    8 72.73%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 35 of 35

Thread: Virtual residential address? MINOR THREAD

  1. #21
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Medicine Hat
    My Ride
    GMC Exotics
    Posts
    972
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So... you change to class 1 now... itís current right now, you have a recent utility bill with address and name right now... no issues RIGHT NOW...

    Then what? What would you have to do between now and 6 months from now with your license that doesnít expire for 24 months? Wtf am I missing here? I feel like Iím missing something here. Like when someone applies for a mortgage and is like ďoh Iíve been away for two yearsĒ and really thatís code for jail
    This is what I've found so far: "You must apply at a registry agent in person with identification to have your name and/or address changed on your driverís licence and/or vehicle registration within 14 days of the change taking place. ... When you change your address, you must provide both your physical and mailing address within Alberta." The questions are, the consequences for not doing this are _____________________ and what counts as a physical address is _________________.

    I'm thoroughly impressed with how confident you are, if that counts for anything.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1991 GMC C1500 350
    1981 GMC C1500 454

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Fiesta ST
    Posts
    975
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fwd mail, tell insurance you have a 6 month rotation for work across the border... it’s 6 months, my fucking ex of 3+ years still hasn’t changed her god damn address from my place
    Yup this is the way. Forward mail is fine and then just tell your insurance and see what grace period they'll give to change over. It'll probably be 6 months
    Nolan

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    calgary.ab.ca
    My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon
    Posts
    7,655
    Rep Power
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SKR View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is what I've found so far: "You must apply at a registry agent in person with identification to have your name and/or address changed on your driver’s licence and/or vehicle registration within 14 days of the change taking place. ... When you change your address, you must provide both your physical and mailing address within Alberta." The questions are, the consequences for not doing this are _____________________ and what counts as a physical address is _________________.

    I'm thoroughly impressed with how confident you are, if that counts for anything.
    Yeah, as long as you don’t need to actually make a change over that 6 months span at the registry... nothin, like I said. My ex is the worst for this shit. YEARS of the wrong address, basically her whole adult life haha, lots of tickets and whatever else during those times.

    6 months is nothing, your story is basically true “I was temporarily in sask for work” ...insurance knowing that is key, also if you get pulled over and a cop asks wtf you’re doing so far from home, same thing. 6 month mail fwd’ing is cheap, you won’t miss any important mail. It’s really not a big deal... even from the CRA standpoint, hell I think my brother’s address with them is still my parent’s place... for about a decade now since it was last true

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    508
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SKR View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thank you sir (or madam? I know your penis is mighty, but I don't know how you identify).



    This is all correct.



    No to all of these.

    If I wasn't selling my house I don't believe any of this would be an issue. I just don't know what the bare minimum is to call yourself a resident in Alberta.

    I'm going to brace myself now because I know your answer is going to be the most correct, but probably the least fun.
    ^ This is legit my life lol. My answer is always going to be the right one, but def the least fun. Ayyy I digress.

    Ok - so it's not super easy as far as policies go. You may live outside of Canada for up to 180 days and maintain residence in your home province. However, your residence is defined as where you're tied to (for ease). In between provinces, you've got 90 days from the day that you move to get your DL/registration etc changed, as per interprovincial agreements. Your plan, on the front of it - means you'd need to do all this.

    Legally, that is your answer. You have to switch if you've moved and are taking up residence there. Additionally, if you're driving truck for a SK company, their insurance may not allow you to continue to drive on your ABDL for more than the 90 unless they've got a rider on their policy for it. So, that alone, you might be SOL.

    Illegally, slyly - whatever - there are options. No, you cannot put a PO Box on your DL without a physical location. No, you cannot have it sent to one address and put a forward to SK on it (the dl won't be forwarded). Your best bet if I were talking to you as a bro, would be to tell you to maintain residency here. Enter into short term rental agreements in SK and come back to Alberta often. Maintain an address here that you live at when you're in town (friends couch, parents place etc).

    The problem is this - if nothing happens in the 6 months you're gone, none of this matters. It's the what-if that will get you. What if you're in an accident driving the company vehicle as a class 1, while holding an ABDL? Do you really wanna be the guy that Alberta Transportation chooses to make an example of? Are you and your co covered? What if you're driving your own car and accidently run someone over? Guess what? Insurance companies pay investigators to find loopholes like the 90 day switch. You might be fucking yourself over.

    As much as it sucks..... to cover bases, swapping to SK is the best bet for the situation you're describing. If you weren't selling your home in AB, this would all be irrelevant.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Egg Sammich
    Posts
    1,424
    Rep Power
    44

    Default

    The house sale may take 60+ days, which should buy you more time. If it takes 90 days, then you should have <90 days in Sask.
    Is there any reason to believe your house will sell in a week?

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Medicine Hat
    Posts
    930
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    If you need a MH address I don't plan on moving anytime soon

  7. #27
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Medicine Hat
    My Ride
    GMC Exotics
    Posts
    972
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dannie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ^ This is legit my life lol. My answer is always going to be the right one, but def the least fun. Ayyy I digress.

    Ok - so it's not super easy as far as policies go. You may live outside of Canada for up to 180 days and maintain residence in your home province. However, your residence is defined as where you're tied to (for ease). In between provinces, you've got 90 days from the day that you move to get your DL/registration etc changed, as per interprovincial agreements. Your plan, on the front of it - means you'd need to do all this.

    Legally, that is your answer. You have to switch if you've moved and are taking up residence there. Additionally, if you're driving truck for a SK company, their insurance may not allow you to continue to drive on your ABDL for more than the 90 unless they've got a rider on their policy for it. So, that alone, you might be SOL.

    Illegally, slyly - whatever - there are options. No, you cannot put a PO Box on your DL without a physical location. No, you cannot have it sent to one address and put a forward to SK on it (the dl won't be forwarded). Your best bet if I were talking to you as a bro, would be to tell you to maintain residency here. Enter into short term rental agreements in SK and come back to Alberta often. Maintain an address here that you live at when you're in town (friends couch, parents place etc).

    The problem is this - if nothing happens in the 6 months you're gone, none of this matters. It's the what-if that will get you. What if you're in an accident driving the company vehicle as a class 1, while holding an ABDL? Do you really wanna be the guy that Alberta Transportation chooses to make an example of? Are you and your co covered? What if you're driving your own car and accidently run someone over? Guess what? Insurance companies pay investigators to find loopholes like the 90 day switch. You might be fucking yourself over.

    As much as it sucks..... to cover bases, swapping to SK is the best bet for the situation you're describing. If you weren't selling your home in AB, this would all be irrelevant.
    Yeah I was afraid this would be the answer. Insurance is going to be the sticky situation I think.

    There are a few ways to unfuck this. First is to do it right and transfer everything over to SK. Second is to wait and sell my house closer to the end of the six months like TPIM said, to keep that 90 day window from closing. Third is to just not take the job at all, which wouldn't be the end of the world. Fourth is to transfer everything over to SK and stay there. The only reason I'm moving back in the fall is to go to school at SAIT. I'm enrolled in the same program at Sask Polytech in Saskatoon. The only reason I applied to SAIT was to avoid having to transfer over to SK, but if I have to anyway, I might as well just go there. Fifth is to love driving truck and not go back to school at all.

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The house sale may take 60+ days, which should buy you more time. If it takes 90 days, then you should have <90 days in Sask.
    Is there any reason to believe your house will sell in a week?
    It's unlikely that I'll get the place clean enough to get a realtor in to give me an opinion on it in a week.

    Quote Originally Posted by Skrilla View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you need a MH address I don't plan on moving anytime soon
    Thanks man. I've got family here that owes me one, so if I have to I'll use them.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1991 GMC C1500 350
    1981 GMC C1500 454

  8. #28
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Medicine Hat
    My Ride
    GMC Exotics
    Posts
    972
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    More questions for @dannie if I haven't worn out my welcome yet.

    1. If I transfer my DL over, do I need to transfer my vehicles over to SK? I'm pretty confident my 07 will pass an OOP. With minor work my 91 will pass, provided I don't sell it before then. I shudder to think what it would take to get my 81 to pass.
    2. Does it change anything if I either own or rent in AB, and never sign a lease agreement in SK? I'll be working for my parents, and it's possible I could get them to rent an apartment in their or the company name. It seems like the 90 days is a pretty firm rule, but then you also said this would all be irrelevant if I wasn't selling my AB house. I don't think I'm 100% clear on what you meant there.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1991 GMC C1500 350
    1981 GMC C1500 454

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Calgary AB
    Posts
    2,171
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dannie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No, you cannot put a PO Box on your DL without a physical location.
    Hey @dannie ... My Alberta drivers license only shows a PO Box Address with zero physical address. It shows my PO Box number plus "GD" for general delivery and the town Water Valley and my postal code and that's it. When we moved rural 4 years ago where we only have a land description without a physical address they said that is what you do. It was no issue at all when I renewed earlier this year either. Is that not supposed to be allowed?
    Bob Blakeborough

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    508
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hey @dannie ... My Alberta drivers license only shows a PO Box Address with zero physical address. It shows my PO Box number plus "GD" for general delivery and the town Water Valley and my postal code and that's it. When we moved rural 4 years ago where we only have a land description without a physical address they said that is what you do. It was no issue at all when I renewed earlier this year either. Is that not supposed to be allowed?
    The physical or 911 in your location, won't show on the DL itself. It's noted in the database and then it gets connected to cpic etc. It's there. The system would not have allowed the agent to move forward without either the 911 or sec/twp/rng/mer etc. Prior to 2012, it was able to be overlooked.

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    508
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SKR View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    More questions for @dannie if I haven't worn out my welcome yet.

    1. If I transfer my DL over, do I need to transfer my vehicles over to SK? I'm pretty confident my 07 will pass an OOP. With minor work my 91 will pass, provided I don't sell it before then. I shudder to think what it would take to get my 81 to pass.
    2. Does it change anything if I either own or rent in AB, and never sign a lease agreement in SK? I'll be working for my parents, and it's possible I could get them to rent an apartment in their or the company name. It seems like the 90 days is a pretty firm rule, but then you also said this would all be irrelevant if I wasn't selling my AB house. I don't think I'm 100% clear on what you meant there.
    1. Vehicles are under the same rules. 90 days to get er done. Assuming they're in SK with you. Here's where it gets sticky. If you get a SKDL, AB gets notified and updated to show you're in SK. This means, on the system, your registration address for your cars will show SK. This can cause issues when you're pulled over.
    2. Good question. The rule is - 90 days from the day that you reside. So, if you no longer reside in Alberta (no home, no business, no fam, no work type thing), thats when the 90 hits. The folks could rent you a place or put their name on the docs, but the hard truth is that you would no longer reside in Alberta. Your home isn't there. It becomes irrelevant if you don't sell your house, because you would still reside there and be temporarily out of province then. You'd "technically" be back and forth between home and work (similar to rig pig style).

  12. #32
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Medicine Hat
    My Ride
    GMC Exotics
    Posts
    972
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    I guess the biggest thing is to pass the road test first, and then decide if I like the job before I get too horned up about selling things and transferring shit.

    I have to say I'm not real big on all these rules.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1991 GMC C1500 350
    1981 GMC C1500 454

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Egg Sammich
    Posts
    1,424
    Rep Power
    44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SKR View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    I have to say I'm not real big on all these rules.
    Oh, you're a Freeman on the land? Why didn't you say so!??
    Doowutchyalike!

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    70
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SKR View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have to say I'm not real big on all these rules.
    You can take this.for what it is worth.

    Renew whatever various information you need to at a friend or relatives place in Alberta.

    If there is any issue in regards to where you are located, you say you travel home all the time.

    Your insurance company likely won't give much of a fuck if you are straight with them.

    In this case, the CRA doesn't even know you exist unless you give them a reason to.

    Your number 1 issue would be getting pulled over. Now hear me out: Its way fucking cheaper to take the risk of having a shit day then the collosal fuckitude you are wringing your hands over.

    Want the real TLDR? Break the rules, accept that there is risk BUT VERY LOW of you having any issues. Be straightup with insurance (tell them you'll be doing a lot of SK work, you are a friggin trucker afterall, very understandable). Call it a day.

    And have a decent story in case you do get pulled over. If you drive past the scales everyday, do not do any of this.

  15. #35
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Medicine Hat
    My Ride
    GMC Exotics
    Posts
    972
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zechs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You can take this.for what it is worth.

    Renew whatever various information you need to at a friend or relatives place in Alberta.

    If there is any issue in regards to where you are located, you say you travel home all the time.

    Your insurance company likely won't give much of a fuck if you are straight with them.

    In this case, the CRA doesn't even know you exist unless you give them a reason to.

    Your number 1 issue would be getting pulled over. Now hear me out: Its way fucking cheaper to take the risk of having a shit day then the collosal fuckitude you are wringing your hands over.

    Want the real TLDR? Break the rules, accept that there is risk BUT VERY LOW of you having any issues. Be straightup with insurance (tell them you'll be doing a lot of SK work, you are a friggin trucker afterall, very understandable). Call it a day.

    And have a decent story in case you do get pulled over. If you drive past the scales everyday, do not do any of this.
    Everything you've written here is about 180 degrees from what @dannie and @Masked Bandit have said. It seems that it could be very difficult to prove that I'm an Alberta resident if I do what I said I wanted to do, and that loopholes that I was hopeful for don't exist.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1991 GMC C1500 350
    1981 GMC C1500 454

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Similar Threads

  1. Residential Road Rant

    By PhenomSE in forum Street Encounters
    Replies: 16
    Latest Threads: 08-30-2004, 03:13 AM
  2. Drifting on a residential street

    By Gripenfelter in forum Cars, Bikes, Machines
    Replies: 16
    Latest Threads: 08-27-2004, 04:57 PM
  3. idiots in residential areas

    By autospeed in forum Street Encounters
    Replies: 27
    Latest Threads: 07-18-2004, 08:07 PM
  4. Residential Parking Laws

    By kaput in forum Society / Law / Current Events / Politics
    Replies: 11
    Latest Threads: 05-03-2004, 05:47 PM
  5. Replies: 47
    Latest Threads: 02-23-2004, 06:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •