Quantcast
Best 7/8 Passenger Used Vehicle Under $30K - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 91

Thread: Best 7/8 Passenger Used Vehicle Under $30K

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    GLA
    Posts
    2,584
    Rep Power
    45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cidley69 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Went and test drove a 2016 Honda Pilot and a 2017 Toyota Highlander yesterday. Wife preferred Highlander, as more "car" like ride and driving feel, although not as much cargo space as a larger SUV, we're good with the trade off to have smaller profile, and better fuel economy. Now on the quest to find a unicorn that checks all boxes (AWD, leather, 2017+, <90K km, light color, <$30K).
    You might be able to get this close to 30k.

    https://www.autotrader.ca/a/chevrole...15_79&sprx=100

    It checks all of your boxes, I think. More room than other midsize SUVs.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by you&me View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As someone who's constantly fitting 6-7-8 people in a vehicle all the time, I disagree strongly.

    We're essentially a household of 7 (4 kids + MIL). We mostly had MB GL/GLS' through 3 kids, but the 3rd row access sucks, there's no practical storage behind when the seats are up and as Buster mentioned, there's something that makes them feel less durable than the domestics.

    When we found out I slipped #4 past the goalie, we resigned ourselves to minivan life... Ended up test driving the Pacifica and Odyssey and basically decided on the then-new Pacifica. Somewhat conveniently, we'd planned a 3 week trip to cottage country in ON and decided that would be the ultimate way to test out a new car, so we rented a Pacifica. As it tends to happen, the rental shop at the airport didn't have a Pacifica (or any van), so they offered us the last-gen Expedition Max... We begrudgingly accepted and proceeded to load up 3 weeks worth of crap for 3 adults (MIL came too) and 3 young kids... Fit like a dream and we were almost all set when the rental co called to let us know a Pacifica had been returned and since we'd made a bit of a stink when they originally told us it wasn't available, they wanted to let us know... Since we really wanted to try out the minivan in the real world, we accepted and started to swap our enormous amount of crap out of the Expedition and into the Pacifica.

    Shit. Would. Not. Fit.

    So, it was back into the Expedition and off we went, with plenty of room. The moral of the story is to make sure you assess real life applications. A Minivan is a great option, but the true practicality can be limited depending on the lifestage of your family, i.e. baby gear will eat up a lot of the room behind the third row. Hockey gear for older kids would do the same... Sometimes, bigger truly is better.
    Dude 4 kids? Respect. I thought three was crazy. I think you would have no other option but full size Yukon or Expedition or something.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Calgary / AB
    My Ride
    '13 MazdaSpeed 3, Zoom Zoom!
    Posts
    679
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Walk in, without your wife, offer a fair price, and if they don't accept it, leave.
    Or ask to make a telephone appointment, without your wife, and try the same thing but most car dealers are stuck in the stone age and don't understand anything except face to face dealing.
    Solid plan. What's a fair offer considering the listed asking price?
    My Karma ran over your Dogma

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    1,218
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    surprised nobody recommended... they don't necessarily do anything Great, but are ok and the gremlins were worked out post 14' I believe... Pathfinder

    I'd say the Nissan Pathfinder is to a 7-8 seater full sized SUV as a Dodge Journey is to a mid-size 3 row... both aren't great, but they work and are good value

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Egg Sammich
    Posts
    1,440
    Rep Power
    44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by r3ccOs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    surprised nobody recommended... they don't necessarily do anything Great, but are ok and the gremlins were worked out post 14' I believe... Pathfinder

    I'd say the Nissan Pathfinder is to a 7-8 seater full sized SUV as a Dodge Journey is to a mid-size 3 row... both aren't great, but they work and are good value
    Post-7 someone did.
    Nissan seems to be a dirty word, here.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    1,218
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Post-7 someone did.
    Nissan seems to be a dirty word, here.
    Yes you're right. and Nissan is the Dodge of Japan these days

    I know some people who own the Pathfinder, and they've had no complaint compared to other neighbours who own the atypical 7-8 seater comparable Kia, Honda, Hyundai, Toyota vehicle.

    there are TONS of inventory it seems... I have a feeling that not only is the deprecation god awful on a Nissan, I reckon that there must be some pretty good incentives to get them out of the dealerships.

    That said, Drove a Maxima not long ago, its not terrible at all... really not all that different than an IS350, Avalon, etc.. I even owned an 06' Altima SE-R that I had for a couple years, then a G37... and still think they weren't that bad of vehicles.

    If I needed a sub-30 7-8 seater... I wouldn't hesitate. VQ motor, AWD, decent cargo space... I'd buy that over any non-frame based Domestic platform anyday.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Egg Sammich
    Posts
    1,440
    Rep Power
    44

    Default

    I think it's a great option, too. Pathfinders used to have fuel economy so bad you'd be crawling under it looking for the hole in the fuel tank, but aside from that...

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duplex
    My Ride
    Ignore List
    Posts
    8,872
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Body on frame mid-sized SUV is the worst way to haul around a bunch of midgets. Nothing against Nissan in particular, just the wrong tool for the job. You want a big car, as close to a minivan as possible.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    1,218
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Body on frame mid-sized SUV is the worst way to haul around a bunch of midgets. Nothing against Nissan in particular, just the wrong tool for the job. You want a big car, as close to a minivan as possible.
    the pathfinder got rid of their actual body on frame 4x4 a long time ago (2012? - too close to xTerra as both were basically frontiers)

    the new one is a new AWD quest really, no different than the mentioned traverse, highlander, Pilots, etc...

    I hate these and other AWD based crossovers, but nobody's buying sedans or wagons anymore (nor are there 3 row wagons like my Dad's old 740 Turbo)

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duplex
    My Ride
    Ignore List
    Posts
    8,872
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Did not know that. Actually, when looking at "not that great" types of vehicles, the new style dodge Durango is a bit of a dark horse value candidate. Probably depreciates like a rock, so should be cheap. Hard to find with low mileage though, folks that buy these put a lot of miles on them.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    GLC43
    Posts
    8,541
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by r3ccOs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    there are TONS of inventory it seems... I have a feeling that not only is the deprecation god awful on a Nissan, I reckon that there must be some pretty good incentives to get them out of the dealerships.
    Pathfinder with CVT is a swear word. Especially someone towed with it. 2013/14 was bad enough to have CVT warranty extended to 7 years.

    Anecdotal evidence from my co-worker's wife's Pathfinder is that it's a lemon and they ditch it as soon as warranty is over and Nissan couldn't get them into another one no matter how they tried.

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Not the NE
    My Ride
    Blue Dabadee
    Posts
    6,265
    Rep Power
    46

    Default

    lol. Nissan. CVT. lol
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    1,218
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pathfinder with CVT is a swear word. Especially someone towed with it. 2013/14 was bad enough to have CVT warranty extended to 7 years.

    Anecdotal evidence from my co-worker's wife's Pathfinder is that it's a lemon and they ditch it as soon as warranty is over and Nissan couldn't get them into another one no matter how they tried.
    agreed, worst thing ever...

    but I did hear that post 2015 it was updated and works... towing with a CVT??? how about no

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Egg Sammich
    Posts
    1,440
    Rep Power
    44

    Default

    Holy shit, I never knew they were dumb enough to put that thing in the Pathfinder!!°
    I thought it was only in their cheaper cars, etc.
    Le Dumb

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Not the NE
    My Ride
    Blue Dabadee
    Posts
    6,265
    Rep Power
    46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Holy shit, I never knew they were dumb enough to put that thing in the Pathfinder!!°
    I thought it was only in their cheaper cars, etc.
    Le Dumb
    #justnissanthings
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    calgary, alberta, canada
    My Ride
    Lezbox
    Posts
    5,518
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Last edited by finboy; 03-07-2021 at 04:51 PM.
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

  16. #76
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    CTS-V, Trackhawk
    Posts
    1,151
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    I must have missed this thread but I found a good choice that hasn’t been mentioned yet:

    https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...rce=ios_social
    I like neat cars.

  17. #77
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Egg Sammich
    Posts
    1,440
    Rep Power
    44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 90_Shelby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I must have missed this thread but I found a good choice that hasnít been mentioned yet:

    https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...rce=ios_social
    That's an obvious choice. So reasonable price, too.

  18. #78
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Egg Sammich
    Posts
    1,440
    Rep Power
    44

    Default

    It's been two weeks since thread became thread. Can we expect an update of "thanks for advice... bought a two-stroke rickshaw, instead"?

  19. #79
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Calgary / AB
    My Ride
    '13 MazdaSpeed 3, Zoom Zoom!
    Posts
    679
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's been two weeks since thread became thread. Can we expect an update of "thanks for advice... bought a two-stroke rickshaw, instead"?
    Have narrowed it down to a Toyota Highlander or a Subaru Ascent, 8 seater, AWD, etc. Now waiting for insurance settlement for the deceased vehicle, and checking Auto Trader and Kijiji Auto daily....ready to jump when the right deal is found!
    My Karma ran over your Dogma

  20. #80
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Calgarian Living in Edmonton
    My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander
    Posts
    6,438
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Highlander man!!!!!! I've been a Nissan/Infiniti man all my life and my Highlander is just a winter beater and I was impressed with Toyota quality for a 2008 high mileage 300K. Them captain chairs make all the difference in the driving. Good luck in your search man!
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go &quot;uh huh...&quot; Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

    Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Another: shopping for fun new or lightly used around 30k.

    By tehwegz in forum General Car/Bike Talk
    Replies: 10
    Latest Threads: 07-12-2015, 12:02 PM
  2. Sport FWD car under $30k?

    By qtcar in forum General Car/Bike Talk
    Replies: 59
    Latest Threads: 12-12-2013, 10:11 PM
  3. Coupe for under 30k

    By Robnaldo in forum General Car/Bike Talk
    Replies: 44
    Latest Threads: 05-30-2010, 10:54 AM
  4. Import Sports Car under 30k (Cdn)

    By peter_pan in forum General Car/Bike Talk
    Replies: 15
    Latest Threads: 05-08-2006, 11:38 PM
  5. NSX for sale in Calgary for under $30k...

    By richardchan2002 in forum General Car/Bike Talk
    Replies: 26
    Latest Threads: 10-03-2005, 05:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •