Quantcast
Best 7/8 Passenger Used Vehicle Under $30K - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Best 7/8 Passenger Used Vehicle Under $30K

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by cidley69 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Went and test drove a 2016 Honda Pilot and a 2017 Toyota Highlander yesterday. Wife preferred Highlander, as more "car" like ride and driving feel, although not as much cargo space as a larger SUV, we're good with the trade off to have smaller profile, and better fuel economy. Now on the quest to find a unicorn that checks all boxes (AWD, leather, 2017+, <90K km, light color, <$30K).
    You might be able to get this close to 30k.

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/chevrole...15_79&sprx=100

It checks all of your boxes, I think. More room than other midsize SUVs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by you&me View Post
    As someone who's constantly fitting 6-7-8 people in a vehicle all the time, I disagree strongly.

We're essentially a household of 7 (4 kids + MIL). We mostly had MB GL/GLS' through 3 kids, but the 3rd row access sucks, there's no practical storage behind when the seats are up and as Buster mentioned, there's something that makes them feel less durable than the domestics.

When we found out I slipped #4 past the goalie, we resigned ourselves to minivan life... Ended up test driving the Pacifica and Odyssey and basically decided on the then-new Pacifica. Somewhat conveniently, we'd planned a 3 week trip to cottage country in ON and decided that would be the ultimate way to test out a new car, so we rented a Pacifica. As it tends to happen, the rental shop at the airport didn't have a Pacifica (or any van), so they offered us the last-gen Expedition Max... We begrudgingly accepted and proceeded to load up 3 weeks worth of crap for 3 adults (MIL came too) and 3 young kids... Fit like a dream and we were almost all set when the rental co called to let us know a Pacifica had been returned and since we'd made a bit of a stink when they originally told us it wasn't available, they wanted to let us know... Since we really wanted to try out the minivan in the real world, we accepted and started to swap our enormous amount of crap out of the Expedition and into the Pacifica.

Shit. Would. Not. Fit.

So, it was back into the Expedition and off we went, with plenty of room. The moral of the story is to make sure you assess real life applications. A Minivan is a great option, but the true practicality can be limited depending on the lifestage of your family, i.e. baby gear will eat up a lot of the room behind the third row. Hockey gear for older kids would do the same... Sometimes, bigger truly is better.
    Dude 4 kids? Respect. I thought three was crazy. I think you would have no other option but full size Yukon or Expedition or something.

My Ride
    '13 MazdaSpeed 3, Zoom Zoom!

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Walk in, without your wife, offer a fair price, and if they don't accept it, leave.
    Or ask to make a telephone appointment, without your wife, and try the same thing but most car dealers are stuck in the stone age and don't understand anything except face to face dealing.
    Solid plan. What's a fair offer considering the listed asking price?
    My Karma ran over your Dogma

surprised nobody recommended... they don't necessarily do anything Great, but are ok and the gremlins were worked out post 14' I believe... Pathfinder

I'd say the Nissan Pathfinder is to a 7-8 seater full sized SUV as a Dodge Journey is to a mid-size 3 row... both aren't great, but they work and are good value

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by r3ccOs View Post
    surprised nobody recommended... they don't necessarily do anything Great, but are ok and the gremlins were worked out post 14' I believe... Pathfinder

I'd say the Nissan Pathfinder is to a 7-8 seater full sized SUV as a Dodge Journey is to a mid-size 3 row... both aren't great, but they work and are good value
    Post-7 someone did.
    Nissan seems to be a dirty word, here.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    Post-7 someone did.
    Nissan seems to be a dirty word, here.
    Yes you're right. and Nissan is the Dodge of Japan these days

I know some people who own the Pathfinder, and they've had no complaint compared to other neighbours who own the atypical 7-8 seater comparable Kia, Honda, Hyundai, Toyota vehicle.

there are TONS of inventory it seems... I have a feeling that not only is the deprecation god awful on a Nissan, I reckon that there must be some pretty good incentives to get them out of the dealerships.

That said, Drove a Maxima not long ago, its not terrible at all... really not all that different than an IS350, Avalon, etc.. I even owned an 06' Altima SE-R that I had for a couple years, then a G37... and still think they weren't that bad of vehicles.

If I needed a sub-30 7-8 seater... I wouldn't hesitate. VQ motor, AWD, decent cargo space... I'd buy that over any non-frame based Domestic platform anyday.

My Ride
    *The First*

I think it's a great option, too. Pathfinders used to have fuel economy so bad you'd be crawling under it looking for the hole in the fuel tank, but aside from that...

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Body on frame mid-sized SUV is the worst way to haul around a bunch of midgets. Nothing against Nissan in particular, just the wrong tool for the job. You want a big car, as close to a minivan as possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Body on frame mid-sized SUV is the worst way to haul around a bunch of midgets. Nothing against Nissan in particular, just the wrong tool for the job. You want a big car, as close to a minivan as possible.
    the pathfinder got rid of their actual body on frame 4x4 a long time ago (2012? - too close to xTerra as both were basically frontiers)

the new one is a new AWD quest really, no different than the mentioned traverse, highlander, Pilots, etc...

I hate these and other AWD based crossovers, but nobody's buying sedans or wagons anymore (nor are there 3 row wagons like my Dad's old 740 Turbo)

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Did not know that. Actually, when looking at "not that great" types of vehicles, the new style dodge Durango is a bit of a dark horse value candidate. Probably depreciates like a rock, so should be cheap. Hard to find with low mileage though, folks that buy these put a lot of miles on them.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by r3ccOs View Post
    there are TONS of inventory it seems... I have a feeling that not only is the deprecation god awful on a Nissan, I reckon that there must be some pretty good incentives to get them out of the dealerships.
    Pathfinder with CVT is a swear word. Especially someone towed with it. 2013/14 was bad enough to have CVT warranty extended to 7 years.

Anecdotal evidence from my co-worker's wife's Pathfinder is that it's a lemon and they ditch it as soon as warranty is over and Nissan couldn't get them into another one no matter how they tried.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

lol. Nissan. CVT. lol
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Pathfinder with CVT is a swear word. Especially someone towed with it. 2013/14 was bad enough to have CVT warranty extended to 7 years.

Anecdotal evidence from my co-worker's wife's Pathfinder is that it's a lemon and they ditch it as soon as warranty is over and Nissan couldn't get them into another one no matter how they tried.
    agreed, worst thing ever...

but I did hear that post 2015 it was updated and works... towing with a CVT??? how about no

My Ride
    *The First*

Holy shit, I never knew they were dumb enough to put that thing in the Pathfinder!!¡
    I thought it was only in their cheaper cars, etc.
    Le Dumb

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Holy shit, I never knew they were dumb enough to put that thing in the Pathfinder!!¡
    I thought it was only in their cheaper cars, etc.
    Le Dumb
    #justnissanthings
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Faux X 4 Mall Crawler

Sienna xle/limited

Name:  76250E50-0099-4318-B60B-293A9FBFD7B4.jpeg
Views: 353
Size:  377.1 KB
    Last edited by finboy; 03-07-2021 at 04:51 PM.
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

I must have missed this thread but I found a good choice that hasn’t been mentioned yet:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...rce=ios_social
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by 90_Shelby View Post
    I must have missed this thread but I found a good choice that hasn’t been mentioned yet:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...rce=ios_social
    That's an obvious choice. So reasonable price, too.

My Ride
    *The First*

It's been two weeks since thread became thread. Can we expect an update of "thanks for advice... bought a two-stroke rickshaw, instead"?

My Ride
    '13 MazdaSpeed 3, Zoom Zoom!

It's been two weeks since thread became thread. Can we expect an update of "thanks for advice... bought a two-stroke rickshaw, instead"?
    Have narrowed it down to a Toyota Highlander or a Subaru Ascent, 8 seater, AWD, etc. Now waiting for insurance settlement for the deceased vehicle, and checking Auto Trader and Kijiji Auto daily....ready to jump when the right deal is found!
    My Karma ran over your Dogma

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Highlander man!!!!!! I've been a Nissan/Infiniti man all my life and my Highlander is just a winter beater and I was impressed with Toyota quality for a 2008 high mileage 300K. Them captain chairs make all the difference in the driving. Good luck in your search man!
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go &quot;uh huh...&quot; Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast