Quantcast
Paying back CERB - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 152

Thread: Paying back CERB

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Aspen
    My Ride
    F-Sport
    Posts
    10,288
    Rep Power
    35

    Default Paying back CERB

    Paying back CERB

    Was having a healthy discussion today and a couple friends said the ppl should pay it back and I said they shouldn't have to.

    What does Beyond think?

    Basically to get it you had to make $5k. Anyone would assume that's gross but CRA a month later said it was net so something like 300-400k ppl took the money over the course of 9 months blah blah


    https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/cra-...ions-1.5237566

    Times are tough. Could this turn into a major issue where the Libs get hammered?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duplex
    My Ride
    Ignore List
    Posts
    9,243
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    I'm with this tax expert. CRA and the liberals fucked up with CERB.
    https://financialpost.com/opinion/al...ht-over-income
    Quote Originally Posted by MalibuStacy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I opened this thread and have literally nothing useful to contribute
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    this whole thread was as mistake.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Not the NE
    My Ride
    Blue Dabadee
    Posts
    6,575
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    How many of these 400k people do you really think grossed 5k income but didn’t net 5k income last year?

    The fraud runs so much deeper than this.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Wildflower Ranch
    My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile
    Posts
    2,216
    Rep Power
    36

    Default

    People should keep it only if they need it. Fucking Ocean ruined it again.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    calgary.ab.ca
    My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon
    Posts
    7,666
    Rep Power
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How many of these 400k people do you really think grossed 5k income but didn’t net 5k income last year?

    The fraud runs so much deeper than this.
    The amount of gainfully employed peoples’ bank statements with CERB going into them that I see would make your head spin!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Not the NE
    My Ride
    Blue Dabadee
    Posts
    6,575
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The amount of gainfully employed peoples’ bank statements with CERB going into them that I see would make your head spin!
    Correct
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Unemployment Line
    My Ride
    Sierra, RDX
    Posts
    2,637
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    I’d say let someone challenge it and get a court ruling, then move ahead from there. I’d bet that more than a few of the people saying it was unclear are also the ones running plenty of dubious expenses through their companies. Or just cut the losses on the CERB money for them and audit their company and personal returns going back a few years, could probably make back the overpayments pretty quick

    At the same time, find the genuine fraud cases and start setting examples. Full, immediate repayment and assessment of penalties starting from when the payments were first received sounds like a good place to start.
    Last edited by FraserB; 12-23-2020 at 10:12 PM.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duplex
    My Ride
    Ignore List
    Posts
    9,243
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    I only know one person who collected Cerb while working, but then again, he got laid off later, so, it kinda evens out? I'm not mad, he's spending it, so it ends up circulating out there in the economy no matter what his employment situation was.

    I'm too simple minded to figure out how to collect that.
    Quote Originally Posted by MalibuStacy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I opened this thread and have literally nothing useful to contribute
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    this whole thread was as mistake.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Egg Sammich
    My Ride
    #SadLife
    Posts
    1,642
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    If you needed it and qualified, you shouldn't have to pay it back.
    If you stole it, you should be forced to pay it back.
    (And have your nuts tazed until we can smell burnt hair).

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pallet Town
    Posts
    600
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Man, so much grey its like an overcast foggy day in the UK.

    The abuses are simple for those who weren't employed. Just move some furniture around and charge $5,000 for it, then have neighbor do the same back, or circle jerk it to avoid detection. Was it worth it to bill $5,000 to move a table or sell a painting? Grey is so grey I don't even know what blue looks like anymore.

    Haven't rich white people with money been doing this with paintings and wine since the beginning?

    I'm highly suspicous of some "fix" jobs this year. Could swear it was working fine, and should be working fine, but mysteriously this year it needed repair crew, of which each mysteriously got $6,000 each, from son of contractor who billed two month all the way to highly trained pro who billed one.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 12-23-2020 at 10:30 PM.
    Lake mead 1070 feet

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    alberta
    Posts
    197
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    If you didn't net $5000 in income on your side business then did you really need the $20,000 in cerb that you now need to repay? It seems ludicrous that someone who didn't meet the threshold was given 4 times what they made in the last year.

    Sounds like a pretty sweet deal for those who barely worked or had next to no income to rake in 20k.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Not the NE
    My Ride
    Blue Dabadee
    Posts
    6,575
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    I mean it should be easy as pie to net $5k a year ripping kids off on playstations for Christmas.

    Oh wait, no way anyone is claiming that on their income taxes
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Silverado
    Posts
    2,754
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gwill View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you didn't net $5000 in income on your side business then did you really need the $20,000 in cerb that you now need to repay? It seems ludicrous that someone who didn't meet the threshold was given 4 times what they made in the last year.

    Sounds like a pretty sweet deal for those who barely worked or had next to no income to rake in 20k.
    Almost as easy as peddling consoles. You claim that on your taxes?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    calgary
    My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3
    Posts
    1,268
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    I’d like to see anyone that took it pay it back over “x” amount of years. Just keeping it simple, no free money.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    F-150 QX50 Mustang
    Posts
    537
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    CRA and EI employees are hella clueless on who qualifies for the new EI and CRB benefits anyways.

    I have spoken to 2 government employees this month and asked if I would qualify for any aid and they couldn't tell me if I qualify or not. Both employees told me to just apply, take the money and if I don't qualify than I will have to pay it back at tax time.

    Not great advice and I did not want to take a "loan" from the government so I didn't bother to apply. My circumstance is that I lost my contractor position that is 20% of my yearly earnings and my full time employee position earnings have been cut in half. So realistically I have only made 40% of my normal wages.

    One of my coworkers who is in the same position has been collecting the "free money" all year long and he hopes to not pay a dime back. Guess will see how he makes out.

    personally I hope that everyone who did not qualify is forced to repay the money.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Fiesta ST
    Posts
    995
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    I think the net vs gross thing is pretty stupid. If I dropped 200k into my startup and then started getting sales, carry forward some expenses to my second year so still claim no profit / haven't paid myself a salary yet then I'd be not eligible despite the fact that cerb fucked my business and I would've been profitable and getting off the ground this year. As an example.
    Nolan

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    alberta
    Posts
    197
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    You guys are hilarious. I got out of selling consoles a long time ago thanks to some self reflection forced upon me by you wankers.

    With that said the $5000 limit was such a low bar to set. If someone didn't work more then the 8 hours a week at minimum wage to hit that threshold then did they really need $20,000 in cerb?

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    F10M/ F87/ NA2/ W220/ VOLVO V90/KTM RC390
    Posts
    5,744
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    I think it was intended to assist you if your regular income disappeared because of Covid, not for you to gain more than if you're working.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Aspen
    My Ride
    F-Sport
    Posts
    10,288
    Rep Power
    35

    Default

    I don’t disagree that 5k is very low but just wondering how realistic is it for the govt to actually get this money back. How many of these are Liberal supporters and would change their votes if they are forced to pay it back etc as chances are there will be an election.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    F10M/ F87/ NA2/ W220/ VOLVO V90/KTM RC390
    Posts
    5,744
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don’t disagree that 5k is very low but just wondering how realistic is it for the govt to actually get this money back. How many of these are Liberal supporters and would change their votes if they are forced to pay it back etc as chances are there will be an election.
    Its the CRA chasing your money man, they always gets it back.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. CERB self employment income

    By mac_gurl in forum Real Estate / Finance
    Replies: 2
    Latest Threads: 07-20-2020, 02:01 AM
  2. Paying CRA or paying off CC/LOC

    By Hallowed_point in forum Real Estate / Finance
    Replies: 35
    Latest Threads: 01-16-2014, 03:13 PM
  3. Friends Not Paying You Back

    By max_boost in forum General
    Replies: 60
    Latest Threads: 09-26-2004, 02:51 AM
  4. city paying for alignment?

    By bart in forum General Car/Bike Talk
    Replies: 26
    Latest Threads: 02-04-2003, 05:47 PM
  5. Replies: 34
    Latest Threads: 01-15-2003, 11:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •