Quantcast
40 km/hour roads. - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 40 km/hour roads.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Most make sense but Panorama Estate area is staying 50kph while all major throughway in the hood has lowered to 40kph.

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    “Traffic calming”

Aka artificially narrowing roads so you can barely get 2 vehicles through an intersection with massive sidewalk jut outs etc. Resulting in vehicles having to come to near stops to navigate around each other.

Seems like the worst of all worlds to me.
    I don't really have a problem with this in communities. Esp. ones that were poorly designed to begin with. You're literally losing like 2 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Cagare View Post
    Some of the best policies I have seen are traffic calming, basically where you have to petition over a perceived speed issue at which point the Municipality evaluates it and if there is deemed to be a problem they have some set solutions like you are speaking of and it gets put on a list. They set aside a certain budget for it each year and chew away as they do it. I believe this is how they handle it in London. It's actually a pretty good way of going about it.

Back where I am from instead of lowering speed limits they decided that we need more stop signs, so there are a lot of 4 ways stops. It's quite infuriating to get around in that place.
    Heck I'm okay with stop signs too. Beats clobbering the whole city with 40kph.

My Ride
    B16 Spec V, 97 SC400, 15 Caravan

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    Heck I'm okay with stop signs too. Beats clobbering the whole city with 40kph.
    It's an interesting thing to study, rolling stops become a lot more common in places where stop signs aren't really necessary, this is actually more dangerous for pedestrians cause they roll right through the crosswalk. I've heard of this exact thing happening in High River lately.

It's an interesting thing to study, rolling stops become a lot more common in places where stop signs aren't really necessary, this is actually more dangerous for pedestrians cause they roll right through the crosswalk. I've heard of this exact thing happening in High River lately.
    Like I said, it takes thought.

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

90 percent of stop signs should be yield signs.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by arcticcat522 View Post
    90 percent of stop signs should be yield signs.
    100% should be roundabouts. 100% of lights too.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Not precisely. I believe the councilors when they say one of the complaints they had in the last election was traffic safety. Ok, so imagine what authority you have as a City councilor to address traffic safety.

Can you change how drivers are trained/tested: No
    Can you take away licenses from unsafe drivers: No and that is also logistically challenging
    Can you substantially change your road network to make it safer: Not without ludicrous costs and tax implications

So they change the thing that's the lowest cost that looks like they are addressing the problem, speed limits. The same thing happens in local politics. This is the same reason all traffic control is done, to do "something" there are so many stop signs and other things out there that were put in place because they had to do "something". It gets interesting because there has been so much political interference with traffic control that they have actually then created new issues in which they have to do "something" else which then spirals out of control.

I used to do this on a small scale in a Municipality in Ontario. It's really quite a downward spiral. Honestly, if we could somehow improve driver training and driver standards a lot of this would get solved. Ontario, and I assume Alberta, has a database of all traffic accident reports, tracking causes, etc. It's quite fascinating data and if it was explored it would become quite clear that a lot of do "something" decisions have little impact on the causes of these accidents. I presented this several times to the council I reported to, and they told me in private that they know that it won't technically do anything, but they had to do "something, and several of them asked me to make it look like it would help. Which I believe is exactly what administration did in this case in the City of Calgary.
    Can you change how traffic enforcement is done so it focuses on safety instead of revenue collection? YES
    Does that have real world tangible results? YES
    Does it cost anything to implement? NO

Nah, fuck it. Let's spend millions of dollars changing signs and have people drive the same speeds anyway, and ignore all the data showing that speeds below what people consider comfortable and reasonable actually make things LESS safe.

Good ol government doing government things.

The insane thing is how many regular citizens support this type of knee jerk nonsense that accomplishes nothing. Edmonton went through this too. Lot's of people were supporting the residential speed decrease to 40km/h, because they perceive residential roads as being narrow with parking on both sides of the street in front of houses where kids are playing in the road(even though people already drive 30km/h on those road already). They never understood that the city was going to repurpose things and call double divided throughfares that are 60km/h as "residential" and then just stick photo radar there after the change to 40km/h.

For me personally, I don't care if I'm doing 10km/h or 1000km/h, I would prefer to not be hit by some distracted driver that can't get off Facebook at any speed.

Traffic calming islands painted in my area and they're already cutting it up this morning. Saturday, probably time and a half.

Dirtbags, literally ink barely dry and no sense seeing if signage works. Just spend money until Nenshi is gone. No going back now.
    Also no idea where the snow is going to be put and how people will park in front of their house.
    Awaiting an increase in snow removal budget to truck it outside inner city.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    Traffic calming islands painted in my area and they're already cutting it up this morning. Saturday, probably time and a half.

Dirtbags, literally ink barely dry and no sense seeing if signage works. Just spend money until Nenshi is gone. No going back now.
    Also no idea where the snow is going to be put and how people will park in front of their house.
    Awaiting an increase in snow removal budget to truck it outside inner city.
    Is a traffic calming island the same as a speed bump? or is it one of those flat roundabout that people just drive over. Unsure why there would be any obstruction to dump snow on the street although in my neighborhood I hate that, why cant people just put the snow from the sidewalk on their lawn where its supposed to go.
    Last edited by nzwasp; 03-13-2021 at 11:34 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post

Could have been over 60% if I wasn’t a paper hand bitch

Name:  curb-extention.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  12.0 KB
    These but also taking the liberty of making a raised bike lane or something too. All I know is everyone has a car and parks in front of their house.
    They need to dig them out like this winter. But they do run an exclusive bobcat to clear already made bike lanes.
    I guess what I'm getting at is the short sightedness of the city yet again.
    Maybe we can all park our cars in the downtown empty offices via the service elevators.
    That would be another good short sightedness city pitch.

Then when things pick up. We have no office space. Help!
    We have no other choice but to raise taxes to figure out a solution.
    It's literally that idiotic.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

I was up in Airdre this morning and holy hell is it annoying doing 30km/h everywhere while the cops sit on every street corner waiting. I’m glad my cruise control sets that low.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I think those traffic calming islands make sense in some areas. More sense than a lot of other things anyway. Don't need em at every crosswalk or anything though . . .
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

My only concern (entirely because it affects me most) that I don't recall seeing any speed limit signs on the larger one-ways downtown. If those are 40kph, that is going to be absolutely brutal.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Eau Claire and Chinatown are affected (go to 40), the CBD itself isn't. So basically 4th Ave south to the tracks stays the same.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    Name:  curb-extention.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  12.0 KB
    These but also taking the liberty of making a raised bike lane or something too. All I know is everyone has a car and parks in front of their house.
    They need to dig them out like this winter. But they do run an exclusive bobcat to clear already made bike lanes.
    I guess what I'm getting at is the short sightedness of the city yet again.
    Maybe we can all park our cars in the downtown empty offices via the service elevators.
    That would be another good short sightedness city pitch.

Then when things pick up. We have no office space. Help!
    We have no other choice but to raise taxes to figure out a solution.
    It's literally that idiotic.
    I have been indoctrinated by this Youtube channel lately:

And seems like all CoC designers are subscribers too.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    I have been indoctrinated by this Youtube channel lately:

And seems like all CoC designers are subscribers too.
    Nice video - well done series. Anyway obviously calgary can keep growing until the jobs stop and demand dries up but what happens in cities where there is no room to continue building new houses. And as property prices skyrocket taxes stay the same. Maybe vancouver city would fit this mould.

Yup, as long as humanity has a place to expand to, the ponzi scheme can continue.

My guess is that the matrix has been upgraded to next level. Full electric and AI. Asphalt is simply mans bondage enslavement of the planet earth.
    Cocoa $11,000 per ton.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    Nice video - well done series. Anyway obviously calgary can keep growing until the jobs stop and demand dries up but what happens in cities where there is no room to continue building new houses. And as property prices skyrocket taxes stay the same. Maybe vancouver city would fit this mould.
    The higher density, the lower the rate. GVA rate is at 0.29% in the core to 0.43% out satellites like Richmond and New Westminster. And here in Calgary, we are staring at 0.75%

Years of Sim City and Cities Skyline should have already taught everyone the cost of sprawl.

Yeah but in Cities skylines you can always just use an infinite money hack, in our reality its called money printing.
    Cocoa $11,000 per ton.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast