Quantcast
40 km/hour roads. - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 40 km/hour roads.

F-u-n-d-s

"Tony Churchill, a senior traffic engineer with the City of Calgary, says of the nearly 9,000 collisions a year on the side streets of Calgary, about 550 of them involve injuries or death."

Uh huh, and of those, how many occurred on these new 40kph roads? And of those, how many would have been preventable by going 10kph slower? Is that a statistic we can request?
    dv/dt

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by zieg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "Tony Churchill, a senior traffic engineer with the City of Calgary, says of the nearly 9,000 collisions a year on the side streets of Calgary, about 550 of them involve injuries or death."

Uh huh, and of those, how many occurred on these new 40kph roads? And of those, how many would have been preventable by going 10kph slower? Is that a statistic we can request?
    Don't be racist
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Silverado

Isn't there a large scale of injuries? Like why lump all 543 minor injuries with the 6 major injuries and 1 death?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Senior Traffic Engineer

What a depressing title
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Senior Traffic Engineer

What a depressing title
    Easily identifiable job titles that can be cut after the November election
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

You guys are looking at that all wrong
    What a great secure career with superb benefits!
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    B16 Spec V, 97 SC400, 15 Caravan

Quote Originally Posted by zieg View Post

Better couple questions for you:

1) how many of those accidents happened in winter conditions or during other weather events
    2) how many of those accidents were due to drunk or distracted driving
    3) how many of those accidents were moving violations at intersections or marked crosswalks? Not mid block collisions.

All of these are in the traffic accident reports and these causes would cause them to be removed from a speed study. The reason is that a reduction in speed would not have reduced or removed the cause of these accidents.

The idea that a lowered speed limit will reduce deaths and collision damage is anecdotal at best. This is a council driven initiative with administrators like this guy kissing ass and trying to give justifications for it.

Cause that's the same game everywhere, and part of the reason I got out of government administration work.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

I don't drive enough in Calgary to give a shit...

But that bullshit radio commercial with 8 kids saying "Thank You" is rage inducing

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Don't be racist
    We need more statistics on skin colour. If there is no equity we must firebomb, I mean reform.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    Isn't there a large scale of injuries? Like why lump all 543 minor injuries with the 6 major injuries and 1 death?
    You know damn well why they're doing that. It's for the same reason they lumped all the pedestrian deaths on 60+ roads in with the 50 roads when saying how many lives this will undoubtedly save.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Facts don’t matter. Think of the children.

More bike lanes to the airport!

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Oh they're even sneaking it into press releases now.

https://newsroom.calgary.ca/pedestri...s-to-injuries/

Pedestrian succumbs to injuries

We are saddened to announce the young woman who was struck on Monday has succumbed to her injuries and died in hospital on Tuesday, May 25, 2021. Our deepest condolences go out to all who knew and loved her.

The investigation into the collision is ongoing and we continue to seek out any witnesses who have not yet come forward. This is the sixth fatal pedestrian collision so far this year.

as residential speed limit changes come into effect on Monday, May 31, 2021, this collision is a stark reminder of the devastating consequences collisions on our residential streets can have. Drivers, cyclists and pedestrians must all work together to ensure our streets are safe to enjoy.

Original release below.
    Witnesses sought in pedestrian collision

Investigators from the Calgary Police Service Traffic Section are looking to speak with any witnesses to a serious-injury pedestrian collision that have not yet come forward.

The collision occurred yesterday, Monday, May 24, 2021, around 10:15 p.m., in the intersection of Canyon Meadows Drive and Deer Ridge Drive S.E. Two people were crossing in a crosswalk in the intersection when a 2009 Hyundai Accent, driven by a man in his 70s, was travelling northbound on Deer Ridge Drive S.E. and began to turn onto westbound Canyon Meadows Drive S.E.

One of the pedestrians, a woman in her 20s, was struck and thrown a significant distance, resulting in serious injuries. She was taken to hospital where she remains in serious but stable condition.

The driver remained at the scene. Speed and impairment are not considered to be a factor in this collision.

Anyone who may have witnessed the collision who has not yet spoken with police is asked to contact the non-emergency number 403-266-1234. Tips can also be left anonymously through Crime Stoppers:

TALK: 1-800-222-8477
    TYPE: www.calgarycrimestoppers.org
    APP: "P3 Tips"

Case #21191949/4488

Neither of the roads involved in the collision are being reduced to 40 km/h.

No one drive 50 km/h in 50 zone, so essentially lowering speed limit we will get close to 50 km/hr. Studies indicate that when collision occurs between pedestrian and car at higher than 50km/hr speed result in death or more serious injuries. If this save one person i think it is worth it. There is unfortunately part of enforcement and revenue generation. Well, if you do not speed you will not provide revenue! Ask yourself if you obeyed speed limits today and drove 50 in 50 zone?! I will let you answer yourself,. I think this will be hard to enforce so bad habits will continue and once in a while there will be community enforcement to teach drivers "rules of the road" and collect "involuntary tax" for the city snd province ...LOL.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Fuck the “if it saves 1 person attitude”

Why do anything. How dare you get in your car every day and put children at risk. If it only saves one person stay home. Forever.

If it only saves one person, start with yourself.
    Last edited by killramos; 05-27-2021 at 04:51 PM.

fact.

We're in a post truth era. Govts have figured out that pleebs have no idea how stats and probabilities work nor how to assess risk properly, so here we go.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

I think you'll save more children by teaching them that all cars are evil. You should run back to the house as soon as you can hear it from a mile away. It's worth it.

It is not so funny and indifferent if the one victim is your child, brother, sister etc. The example is young girl that lost her life on Tuesday. She was someone daughter, friend, perhaps to most of us is just the stats but there are many that will be affected profoundly by her tragic loss of life in traffic collision. Unfortunately this will happen I mean collisions, but if we reduce chances of such losses I think it will be worth it.

My Ride
    Silverado

But none of the changes would have made an ounce of difference.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by Waldi View Post
    It is not so funny and indifferent if the one victim is your child, brother, sister etc. The example is young girl that lost her life on Tuesday. She was someone daughter, friend, perhaps to most of us is just the stats but there are many that will be affected profoundly by her tragic loss of life in traffic collision. Unfortunately this will happen I mean collisions, but if we reduce chances of such losses I think it will be worth it.
    There was never an issue to start and something they created. There is no substantial evidence to warrant the decrease other than wanting it done.

Just another way to enforce or regulate something that was never broken.

Same premise as converting school zones to playground zones because people found it too hard to understand the wording

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast