Quantcast
40 km/hour roads. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: 40 km/hour roads.

Default 40 km/hour roads.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7667739/c...-speed-limits/

https://www.calgary.ca/transportatio...ed-limits.html

May 31, assume 40 if not posted. Red lines should be marked for 50.
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

Haha, good ol' City, way to complicate a simple change.
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

Planning to not drive the first week of June.
    They'll be in full force to show the hooligans they've given tickets to that would otherwise have killed children and ripped families apart.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I'm just hoping my family can survive until then. Every day is a gamble.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm just hoping my family can survive until then. Every day is a gamble.
    This, I can't believe they are allowing this ludicrous 50kph business to continue until May 31st. Cars will be careening into houses left and right

Good old nanny state, amazing we made this long.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Really, I don't know how they allow us to drive motorcars in the first place.

Life was simpler, and likely safer in the days of the horse.

Unless your last name was Reeve.

If they would remove the silly 25.5 km/h electronic limitation on my kickscooter, I figure it would be the same speed. 2/3rds horsepower ftw.
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

Same old story, the city reduces speed limits for no reason other than profit, and people will continue driving a speed at which they are comfortable which will almost certainly be over 40km/h on most of those roads. Only now the tickets will be 10km/h bigger.

The biggest eye opener for me has always been photo radar in school zones - who cares if the same guy comes ripping through multiple times endangering a bunch of kids or whoever else, when that ticket arrives 2 weeks later in the mail, that'll teach em.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    The biggest eye opener for me has always been photo radar in school zones - who cares if the same guy comes ripping through multiple times endangering a bunch of kids or whoever else, when that ticket arrives 2 weeks later in the mail, that'll teach em.
    At least that's done in the guise of safety. Honestly, I'd be fine with them making them permanent like red light cams. Put up big signs so there are no excuses. Now it's actually safe.

Hiding in the shadows under an overpass getting people doing 15 over on Deerfoot or Glenmore though? GTFO.

I'm waiting for Lethbridge and other municipalities here to follow suit with similar legislation
    Originally posted by killramos
    It's a Chrysler, it won't last long enough to depreciate.

My Ride
    B16 Spec V, 97 SC400, 15 Caravan

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Same old story, the city reduces speed limits for no reason other than profit, and people will continue driving a speed at which they are comfortable which will almost certainly be over 40km/h on most of those roads. Only now the tickets will be 10km/h bigger.

Not precisely. I believe the councilors when they say one of the complaints they had in the last election was traffic safety. Ok, so imagine what authority you have as a City councilor to address traffic safety.

Can you change how drivers are trained/tested: No
    Can you take away licenses from unsafe drivers: No and that is also logistically challenging
    Can you substantially change your road network to make it safer: Not without ludicrous costs and tax implications

So they change the thing that's the lowest cost that looks like they are addressing the problem, speed limits. The same thing happens in local politics. This is the same reason all traffic control is done, to do "something" there are so many stop signs and other things out there that were put in place because they had to do "something". It gets interesting because there has been so much political interference with traffic control that they have actually then created new issues in which they have to do "something" else which then spirals out of control.

I used to do this on a small scale in a Municipality in Ontario. It's really quite a downward spiral. Honestly, if we could somehow improve driver training and driver standards a lot of this would get solved. Ontario, and I assume Alberta, has a database of all traffic accident reports, tracking causes, etc. It's quite fascinating data and if it was explored it would become quite clear that a lot of do "something" decisions have little impact on the causes of these accidents. I presented this several times to the council I reported to, and they told me in private that they know that it won't technically do anything, but they had to do "something, and several of them asked me to make it look like it would help. Which I believe is exactly what administration did in this case in the City of Calgary.
    Last edited by Cagare; 03-02-2021 at 01:21 PM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Yes, there aren't that many levers to pull for traffic safety on the municipal level, so they do what they can.

A residential enforcement increase would be really unpopular, because it would be voters getting those tickets. Buncha signs? Nobody cares.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by Cagare View Post
    Not precisely. I believe the councilors when they say one of the complaints they had in the last election was traffic safety. Ok, so imagine what authority you have as a City councilor to address traffic safety.

Can you change how drivers are trained/tested: No
    Can you take away licenses from unsafe drivers: No and that is also logistically challenging
    Can you substantially change your road network to make it safer: Not without ludicrous costs and tax implications

So they change the thing that's the lowest cost that looks like they are addressing the problem, speed limits. The same thing happens in local politics. This is the same reason all traffic control is done, to do "something" there are so many stop signs and other things out there that were put in place because they had to do "something". It gets interesting because there has been so much political interference with traffic control that they have actually then created new issues in which they have to do "something" else which then spirals out of control.

I used to do this on a small scale in a Municipality in Ontario. It's really quite a downward spiral. Honestly, if we could somehow improve driver training and driver standards a lot of this would get solved. Ontario, and I assume Alberta, has a database of all traffic accident reports, tracking causes, etc. It's quite fascinating data and if it was explored it would become quite clear that a lot of do "something" decisions have little impact on the causes of these accidents. I presented this several times to the council I reported to, and they told me in private that they know that it won't technically do anything, but they had to do "something, and several of them asked me to make it look like it would help. Which I believe is exactly what administration did in this case in the City of Calgary.
    Do they still build straight roads in Ontario? Pretty sure that's up to the municipality.

There's lots cities can do. They just don't do it because it requires brainpower, and it's simply easier to pass some silly piece of legislation.

Communities like Mahogany are basically impossible to speed in. Roads are too tight, roads aren't straight, there's traffic circles and it's pretty clear where the crosswalks are.

Compare that to, say, Rocky Ridge, that has a four lane road with a median. That kind of stuff is really useless in a community, and no one asked for it, it's just what Calgary did back then.

Where my parents live in California they put dips in the road. No one speeds through those things lol.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    Do they still build straight roads in Ontario? Pretty sure that's up to the municipality.

There's lots cities can do. They just don't do it because it requires brainpower, and it's simply easier to pass some silly piece of legislation.

Communities like Mahogany are basically impossible to speed in. Roads are too tight, roads aren't straight, there's traffic circles and it's pretty clear where the crosswalks are.

Compare that to, say, Rocky Ridge, that has a four lane road with a median. That kind of stuff is really useless in a community, and no one asked for it, it's just what Calgary did back then.

Where my parents live in California they put dips in the road. No one speeds through those things lol.
    Hilariously in some jurisdictions road layouts are up to the developer, Calgary is one of the few jurisdictions that puts a lot of say in road layouts in Canada.

You're correct, but the changes you are talking about would have huge cost implications and would take a long period of time to implement across the entire City. Which was my third point above. They did talk about implementing new standards in new subdivisions, which is no cost to the City and if anything will reduce development costs.

Dips and speed bumps are not great in northern climates, not that we do that much snow clearing in Calgary on local roads. They also cause drainage issues which is a pretty common problem in the inner city.

Quote Originally Posted by Cagare View Post
    Hilariously in some jurisdictions road layouts are up to the developer, Calgary is one of the few jurisdictions that puts a lot of say in road layouts in Canada.

You're correct, but the changes you are talking about would have huge cost implications and would take a long period of time to implement across the entire City. Which was my third point above. They did talk about implementing new standards in new subdivisions, which is no cost to the City and if anything will reduce development costs.

Dips and speed bumps are not great in northern climates, not that we do that much snow clearing in Calgary on local roads. They also cause drainage issues which is a pretty common problem in the inner city.
    Yeah unfortunate that dips aren't viable here.

I'm not saying older communities need to rip everything out and start over, fact is there are simply specific locations that need to be remedied. This isn't hard to do nor is really all that expensive. It requires thought though and that's something that's in very short supply in govt.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

There are a couple dips in the road by my place right in front of a school. They look intentional.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Saskatoon council is looking at 40 and 30 now too, thanks fuckheads.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    Yeah unfortunate that dips aren't viable here.

I'm not saying older communities need to rip everything out and start over, fact is there are simply specific locations that need to be remedied. This isn't hard to do nor is really all that expensive. It requires thought though and that's something that's in very short supply in govt.
    Some of the best policies I have seen are traffic calming, basically where you have to petition over a perceived speed issue at which point the Municipality evaluates it and if there is deemed to be a problem they have some set solutions like you are speaking of and it gets put on a list. They set aside a certain budget for it each year and chew away as they do it. I believe this is how they handle it in London. It's actually a pretty good way of going about it.

Back where I am from instead of lowering speed limits they decided that we need more stop signs, so there are a lot of 4 ways stops. It's quite infuriating to get around in that place.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

“Traffic calming”

Aka artificially narrowing roads so you can barely get 2 vehicles through an intersection with massive sidewalk jut outs etc. Resulting in vehicles having to come to near stops to navigate around each other.

Seems like the worst of all worlds to me.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride

“Traffic calming”

Aka artificially narrowing roads so you can barely get 2 vehicles through an intersection with massive sidewalk jut outs etc. Resulting in vehicles having to come to near stops to navigate around each other.

Seems like the worst of all worlds to me.
    Typically the only locations they should narrow is at crosswalks, which is effectively taking away the parking lane at any intersection. This reduces pedestrian crossing distance, and therefore time and makes sure that cars at not parked right at the end of the road obstructing view drivers in the intersection.

I laugh every time I am in Toronto where they have effectively created chicanes mid block on their streets.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast