Quantcast
Buying Land, Building Multiple Houses + Shop, questions! - Page 10 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 9 10

Thread: Buying Land, Building Multiple Houses + Shop, questions!

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Quote Originally Posted by prae View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Your architect should be providing a site drawing that locates your proposed structure on your property. To do so, you'll need a survey of the land first (to capture elevations and lot location), and then with that drawing, you can hire a land surveyor to stake out the proposed home (after your permits are approved).

Most survey companies should offer this service. I don't have any specific recommendations.

One option you may find some value in would be booking a paid consultation with a custom homebuilder. Melissa @ Veranda Custom Homes offers 30 & 60 minute sessions: https://www.theexpert.com/expert/verandaestatehomes

Clearly those are more focused on interior design but she and her husband and business partner Rob have been in the business for many years and if you make it clear at the outset what you're looking to learn, I expect you could get Rob on the call as well.

I know some other builders that would be knowledgeable and helpful in this regard but I'm not aware of them offering paid consultation services and cannot volunteer their time for them.

Honestly your architect should be able to walk you through a lot of this; if they're not, you're either not getting what you paid for, or didn't pay for enough
    Hey thanks for the info. I think I'm just jumping ahead and perhaps all of this is still to come, but getting info our of people is like pulling teeth. I have just approved the concept drawing mostly as per the pictures I posted earlier, and now they are working on the engineering drawing for this. The first sales man I ever talked to about this was super cool and told me everything, but by the time I pulled the trigger he moved up to a new role and I got another guy who seems alright, but it's really giving me much to go on, I have to ask everything instead of it being offered as advice etc.

I am looking at the checklist for the building permit (https://www.rockyview.ca/Portals/0/F..._Checklist.pdf) and it's all looking pretty overwhelming. If you have any input into any of the items on there I would love to hear it. I will be going to the county for a chat next week to get some clarity.

Based on that spreadsheet, these are the questions I have:

1. Alberta New Home Warranty - This is all setup and done already. I applied for the builder/owner permit and got approved.
    2. Building Permit Application - looked over the application, for the most part seem pretty straight forward on it's own
    3. Certificate of Title - have to get 30 days before applying, can get at country, no problem there.
    4. Building Grade Slip (if applicable) - Not sure if I need to do anything here or what this is. Says if applicable. My grading won't fundamentally change, it's already pretty much flat, but not really sure. I know if you want to regrade whole lot more is requried, but I am not.
    5. Developers Approval (if applicable) - don't know what this is but doesn't don't think it applies.
    6. Waiver Form (if applicable) - Found the form here https://www.rockyview.ca/Portals/0/F...aiver-Form.pdf but not really sure what this is and if it applies...and who would fill this out?
    7. Utility Form - seems pretty straight forward, I just say I won't damage any existing utilities
    8. Sub Trade permits - I will be applying for Electrical, Plumbing and Gas permit myself. There is an option for Private Sewage Treatment System, I will be getting a septic system installed by a contractor, do I apply for this myself or would he...not entirely sure. Contractor on vacation so can't really ask now.
    9. Site Plans - I think my builder will help with this, but from what I have heard before, I can basically take a google maps photo and plant a building on it with Paint and add some dimensions and offset. It mentions grades here, not sure if I need land surveyor for this part? I do have the official survey of my land already from when I bought the land.
    10. 9.36 Project Summary - no fucking idea. Form is here https://www.rockyview.ca/Portals/0/F...mmary-Form.pdf Who fills this out. Talks about air tightness, thermal mass, a bunch of shit. Is this for an HVAC contractor to fill out?
    11. Building Plans - no concerns here, builder will provide everything needed.
    12. Engineered Roof Truss and Floor Joist Layouts - should come from builder
    13. Residential Mechanical Ventilation form - no idea about this. Lots of sub-headers. Sounds like something an HVAC company of my choosing will have to fill out?
    14. Exterior Wall Cladding Materials - plan on using hardy board with a little bit of Verseta stone on the front. Stone/Brick vaneer mentioned and says required pEng seal.....seems weird....no idea who would do this.
    15. Hydronic Heating - need to provide loop layouts. I was going to make these myself initially, but some further reading seems to indicate that a pro needs to do this. I have LoopCad software and played in it, seems pretty straight forward but I think I need to find someone to do it 100% correct. Also it will interact with furnace as secondary system...so perhaps this is all for the HVAC company to figure out, not sure. I want to do all my own piping ect for hydronic, but want a company to do all the furnace+ac+ducting, so a bit lost here.
    16,17,18 items don't apply as they talk about multi-family, houses greater than 600sqm, and show homes.

So the actual application for building permit is pretty easy, but all these other things are confusing at best. I have a PEng buddy who does permitting with Rocky View country daily who I will reach out to and have a further chat, but he is generally pretty busy and isn't always available, so don't want to bug him too much, so trying to research as much as possible myself first. Thanks for all your input so far.

My Ride
    something green

For the buildings I have done, I have scanned my real property report, then used MSpaint to mark the new building on the real property report. I did the same for the site plans by doing a screen shot of the property on google maps satellite view, then again just drawing the building on MS paint. I never used a surveyor, the real property reports showed where the boundaries were, then I gave a 5 feet safety margin from there.
    For the site prep and the sewer installation, I would talk to a guy called Jesse at Bear excavating, he is knowledgable in all that and marking the stuff out.
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Finally got some dimensions of the house sorted out, posting for those who were curious before. Taking a while to get everything needed for the permit put together. I made a site plan but then yesterday was given the option of a professional one to be included as part of the engineering drawings I already paid for, so getting one done up by them as well.

MAIN FLOOR
    AREA = 297.3 m² / 3200 ft²
    MEZZANINE
    AREA = 100.6 m² / 1083 ft²
    GARAGE
    AREA = 87.5 m² / 942 ft²
    TOTAL LIVING
    AREA = 397.9 m² / 4283 ft²
    TOTAL
    AREA = 485.4 m² / 5225 ft²

My Ride
    *The First*

Wow! That's gonna leave a mark when the alleged crane operator allegedly "drops it"...

My Ride
    Lease

Name:  84D2DC8E-EBDC-42F9-92E0-51B86B553A9B.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  89.9 KB

Name:  2E2F682E-B38F-4C5C-9435-24B90B2E0D14.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  90.7 KB

OP. this would be a cool shop to put on your land. Wonder how much moving costs, or if it’ll void any manufacturer structure warranties.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Cost of moving that is higher than cost of building same building elsewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 9 10