Quantcast
Buying Land, Building Multiple Houses + Shop, questions! - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying Land, Building Multiple Houses + Shop, questions!

My Ride
    V8s

Proximity to the city, and the quadrant of the city that land is close to are both massive levers on price of acreages.

Quote Originally Posted by never View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So that's who paid for the new fancy library i got to use during my last year of Uni.

If he wants to be out of the city with land and space from others, ending up with 2 acres is pretty small. It'd be nice to get $700K to offset costs but then you have 2 immediate neighbours. Just something for him to think about.

Not sure that's much of a fire sale though...you should see my neighbour's property right across the road from us. It used to be owned by Don Taylor, he and his wife bought it around the same time we did in the late 2000s. I think their place was listed at $8M and they got it for $6M. They tried to sell for a while a couple of years ago and ended up auctioning...they got $2.9M. 60 acres, 5000+ sqft house, massive attaches garages, 2000 sqft caretakers house, etc, etc.

I'm not worried about the Taylors though...I'm sure they easily took the $3M hit.

But I think those are the places that are really taking a hit right now. Most of the other usual stuff between $700K and $1.5M seem to be rolling as normal (at least SW of the city).
    He was in the Hamptons so having neighbors beside him on a 2 acre lot would be nothing, i could see being on 2 acres tight if you wanted that true acreage secluded feel but he only moved out there because the deal was too good and it was a bungalow. Their in stage coach so its the opposite of seclusion, its basically like a community lifestyle but with lots of grass separating them.
    If they sold 4 acres theyd have a 7 year old 2800sqft bungalow, 6 car garage on 2 acres minutes from calgary for $400k, if that wasnt a fire sale i dont know what else to call it.....

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    Man, acreages are insane right now... There are almost no listings and anything in the 600k range goes in a snap! Out our way there was always a dozen or more right around us for sale and now there is virtually none. It's crazy.
    I talked to an agent friend and hes saying hes seeing a lot of buyers looking for more space due to people being stuck/working from home, condo buyers are moving out to the burbs and burbs are moving out to acreages?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    In short: yes.
    Lol thanks.

Is there a separate mortgage rule for buying vacant land? Is there a requirement to build a house on the land after X days of purchasing the lot? If so, can you put a trailer home on that just to meet basic requirements lol
    Originally posted by beyond_ban
    Yo Kanye, ima let you finish, but 50 Cent had the best concert cancellation of all time.

My Ride
    is faster than yours

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket1k78 View Post
    He was in the Hamptons so having neighbors beside him on a 2 acre lot would be nothing, i could see being on 2 acres tight if you wanted that true acreage secluded feel but he only moved out there because the deal was too good and it was a bungalow. Their in stage coach so its the opposite of seclusion, its basically like a community lifestyle but with lots of grass separating them.
    If they sold 4 acres theyd have a 7 year old 2800sqft bungalow, 6 car garage on 2 acres minutes from calgary for $400k, if that wasnt a fire sale i dont know what else to call it.....
    Ah okay..fair enough. The only thing they’ll have to consider is that raw land doesn’t sell the way built property does, and buyers need a lot more cash to put down so they could be sitting on it for a while (which may not be a bad thing because they’ll likely ending up wanting to keep it ). You have to figure that if it was easy to sell, the previous owners would have parceled and sold, then asked for more for the lot with the development.

Have you thought of going a bit further South? Crowsnest, Pincher Creek area? Add another hour drive to Calgary but those areas have hospitals and you might get a bit more bang for your buck. Buy something with buildings on site and upgrade.

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...eek-no-9-md-of

My Ride
    V8s

You have to figure that if it was easy to sell, the previous owners would have parceled and sold, then asked for more for the lot with the development.
    This is the first thing that came to my mind. There is a miniscule chance that someone would leave that much money on the table for no reason, esp if they had already went through the effort of subdividing. Surely there is more to the story.

My Ride
    is faster than yours

This is the first thing that came to my mind. There is a miniscule chance that someone would leave that much money on the table for no reason, esp if they had already went through the effort of subdividing. Surely there is more to the story.
    Possibly divorce or other life event where they may have needed to liquidate more quickly and just wanted to be done.

My Ride
    V8s

Possibly divorce or other life event where they may have needed to liquidate more quickly and just wanted to be done.
    Yeah a distressed sale certainly influences price... but that would typically be a 10 or maybe 20% haircut on market price for something like this, not >50%. It just doesn't add up to me.

My Ride
    is faster than yours

Yeah a distressed sale certainly influences price... but that would typically be a 10 or maybe 20% haircut on market price for something like this, not >50%. It just doesn't add up to me.
    I think the biggest thing is that raw land can sit for a LONG time...it's possible the previous owners tried to sell the land separately and didn't want to sit on it that long. Alternatively they knew the hassle associated with subdividing and selling land so they just upped their asking price because of the potential value of the subdivided areas. All speculation of course but I have seen that happen with places around here too.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Sounds to me like it would be worth trying to have a chat with the neighbours to see what they are all about.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

LOL i didnt believe it either and i even created a thread on here last spring asking for help to verify things. The <50% off was based purely on if he sold 2-2 acre parcels for Full pop which as Never said its easier said then done and for my bro it wasnt something he was banking on to help the purchase anyways. We dont doubt one bit the previous owner was totally intending on selling off 4 acres but it sounds like he ran out of time/money to complete it.

Bingo! The wife left him and then he lost the house to the bank. The stupidest part is hes got around 80k in appliances in the kitchen but he couldnt pay his share of having water run to the house so he installed a massive water container in one of the garages and he would have water trucked in to fill this to use for the house, his share was $35k which my bro had to pay. I was in just as much disbelief of this as you guys because it just made no sense, at first we thought we thought his realtor had inside info that no one knew about the subdivision being done already but it was clearly listed in the ad.
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

My Ride
    is faster than yours

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket1k78 View Post
    LOL i didnt believe it either and i even created a thread on here last spring asking for help to verify things. The <50% off was based purely on if he sold 2-2 acre parcels for Full pop which as Never said its easier said then done and for my bro it wasnt something he was banking on to help the purchase anyways. We dont doubt one bit the previous owner was totally intending on selling off 4 acres but it sounds like he ran out of time/money to complete it.

Bingo! The wife left him and then he lost the house to the bank. The stupidest part is hes got around 80k in appliances in the kitchen but he couldnt pay his share of having water run to the house so he installed a massive water container in one of the garages and he would have water trucked in to fill this to use for the house, his share was $35k which my bro had to pay. I was in just as much disbelief of this as you guys because it just made no sense, at first we thought we thought his realtor had inside info that no one knew about the subdivision being done already but it was clearly listed in the ad.
    Worked out well for your brother then! Though honestly, I would suggest he sit on the land for a while. Once you sell it, you can't get it back! My neighbour's property was prepped to be split in two. I offered and almost had him convinced to sell to me...but he didn't go through with it. He said he's so glad he didn't let it go...and I don't blame him.

There's a divorce property around here going through almost the opposite thing. Husband left, he was the primary income earner, they are selling the property but they are asking too much and the wife has no interest in leaving/accepting anything less than asking. It has been up for a couple of years now. Lots of nice land (20 acres) but a pretty crappy, small house.

Worked out well for your brother then! Though honestly, I would suggest he sit on the land for a while. Once you sell it, you can't get it back! My neighbour's property was prepped to be split in two. I offered and almost had him convinced to sell to me...but he didn't go through with it. He said he's so glad he didn't let it go...and I don't blame him.

There's a divorce property around here going through almost the opposite thing. Husband left, he was the primary income earner, they are selling the property but they are asking too much and the wife has no interest in leaving/accepting anything less than asking. It has been up for a couple of years now. Lots of nice land (20 acres) but a pretty crappy, small house.
    He got lucky big time imo. Hes in no rush to sell and youre absolutely right that he should take time to consider because yeah once its gone its gone. We're just so used to burb life that we assume 2 acres is more than enough

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Damn, been to hammered with work, come back and there is 3 pages of replies! Crazy. Wife and I actually started looking for fun already and might buy this year even....move folks over there and still live in Calgary, until such time we get a new place built etc. We will see.

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    You will need to check with the county and how your property is zoned etc. You might be surprised by some nasty regulation where you find out you are not allowed two seperate dwellings on the same property. There are work arounds (suites, carriage houses over a shop, non-foundationed building etc, but not always, and that would be a rude awaking if you already bought your land. Also, if you have two separate houses on one piece of land your taxes will spike enormously. You might be better off with two separate land titles with individual houses.

Basically, research the shit out of it before buying the piece of land you want. Counties are a pain in the ass to deal with when doing things outside the norm.
    Yah definitely, that's why I decided to post here to see some basics first. I won't buy until I know I can do what I want. The thought of two properties side by side is very appealing as well, I was thinking even if I had two houses on a single lot, ideally I could position them so that if I subdivide later, I can sell off the unused portion. Lots to think about and consider.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    Wonder what the counties would say about those 'movable' mother in law cottages / guest cottages. Many are pre-fab just move into place and connect. Kind of like a mobile home but nicer.

The headache is all with the municipality / MD rules etc. The house on piers flipstah posted doesn't fly here - Alberta doesn't allow pier foundations last I checked -

Are you really "hospital only" because we're a bit more decentralized these days Unless your wife's education has led her to highly specialized areas - there's often healthcare options in just about every community.
    Hospital is not necessary, just convenient. My wife actually works in a long term care now. We just thought rural communities always lack medical services so it would be easier for her to find a job.

Quote Originally Posted by darthVWader View Post
    Have you thought of going a bit further South? Crowsnest, Pincher Creek area? Add another hour drive to Calgary but those areas have hospitals and you might get a bit more bang for your buck. Buy something with buildings on site and upgrade.

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...eek-no-9-md-of
    Too far unfortunately. I still might nee to go into office once every couple of weeks, I want it to be an easy option instead of having to drive FAR away. Once a month we work in the office until 2AM for maintenance, so not really looking for a 3 hour drive after that.

Thanks everyone for input. Much appreciated. Already getting ideas on best way forward.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Pincher Creek nah brah. Even if that place was closer, it's worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by eblend View Post
    4. Build a second guest house, which will house my aging parents.
    This really depends on their social circle. Even if health services is near by, having seniors driving long stretches in rural area to get to anything may not be the idea of fun for them.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    This really depends on their social circle. Even if health services is near by, having seniors driving long stretches in rural area to get to anything may not be the idea of fun for them.
    Wife and I are members of the antisocial social club, so for her and I it's fine, and my parents keep to themselves as well, plus dad will have more land to grow his beloved tomatoes, which currently take up like 80% of his back yard during the summer. I have been all over the place recently, I am thinking best approach might be to buy a bigger plot of land and hopefully subdivide, so that they would be side by side, but considered two legal entities, we would have our respective buildings without a fence in between, and then eventually can sell a half off when the time comes. Many idea and back and forth on best way to proceed. Going to meet with my buddy who just moved out to an acreage and poke his brain a bit, and going to drive around and get familiar with the areas and see which area we prefer, so far leaning to the south.

Anyone have any idea how much it would cost to build a ~1500 sqf basic house out in in the country, for the structure alone? Currently my parents live in Silverado in that size of a house, and it's worth probably around $400k on a good day...if I paid for their land...is $400k realistic to have a house of same size build out in the country, taking into account the need to get septic/well/connect electricity/gas?

At the moment my thinking is hopefully a 4-6 acre lot, hopefully we can subdivide, and build side by side. I would pay for the full land + build new house for wife and I (nothing crazy, 2000 sqf or something + big shop) and on their portion would just be a house and whatever sheds/greenhouses my dad wants to build himself.

Bigger plot and subdivide for sure that way you have the option to sell if need be.

Bald prarie is fine if you intend to go full prepper and get a 60 to 144 solar panel system. At the rates prices are dropping, it will be 10 year competitive to grid soon enough, especially if the 400 watters get into the $200 range.
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast