Quantcast
Buying Land, Building Multiple Houses + Shop, questions! - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying Land, Building Multiple Houses + Shop, questions!

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just East of the city on the SE edge it looks like?
    Yep, didn't want to go too far. We looked all over the place, this was the first place we looked and after a few weeks of looking we kept coming back to this, being close to the city being the main factor, and the shape of the land as well, long and narrow will allow us to build two houses and still be far enough away for some privacy

My Ride
    is faster than yours

Congrats! And start planting trees now!

My Ride

Looking for an acreage builder recommendations. Don't plan on building until next year but want to get as much figured out as possible and visit a few.

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

Quote Originally Posted by eblend View Post
    Step 1: Completed. Just under 4 acres. Has GAS/Electricity/Phone(lol)/Water (10gpm) on site. Long lot. Plan is to build houses on opposing ends of the lot. Confirmed with country that I can have accessory Dwelling building. Just outside of the city. Originally were thinking further out but ended up getting closer, that way wife can continue to work her current place and I can work in the city easier as well should I ever have to go back to the office. Plan to start building next year.

Attachment 98508
    Looks nice. I wouldn't lol a landline if I was spending any time out in the country, although outside Calgary probably has better consistent cell service than anywhere I've been.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

I'd build a castle.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    I'd build a castle.
    I'd build one of those elegant dwellings like on Cowboy Trail just north of the traffic circle. More polished Pegasus nonsense, though.
    Fuck, that's elegant!

My Ride
    Lease

Which Beyonder gonna place bids on this

https://www.localauctiononline.ca/12...NTY-AB_as72630

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by SKR View Post
    Looks nice. I wouldn't lol a landline if I was spending any time out in the country, although outside Calgary probably has better consistent cell service than anywhere I've been.
    Yah I might get it hooked up, but it's close enough to the city that I get excellent Rogers and Telus coverage, and it's within the Telus 5G map, so think I can get some pretty quick wireless internet out there, else I get Starlink.

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

Yah I might get it hooked up, but it's close enough to the city that I get excellent Rogers and Telus coverage, and it's within the Telus 5G map, so think I can get some pretty quick wireless internet out there, else I get Starlink.
    Yeah it's probably better than a farm in SW Sask. I can't make or take a call at all at our place, and I can see a tower through the trees.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

Castle needs a moat filled with hippopotami. If planting trees, do more on north side to block evil winter wind. Leave south side open for solar panels.
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

My Ride

Hi guys, so I have pretty much decided to build my own house, mostly. I am looking at a Post-Frame type residential construction where they build the shell and then you/contractors build out the rest. I am well versed in many construction related things and will do my own electrical/plumbing/framing etc, but there are definitely things that I will contract out. Those things will include the following and looking for contractor recommendations if anyone has any:

1. Concrete - The house will be a slab-on-grade, and in post-frame construction the concrete is poured after the shell of the house is already put up, and after all the plumbing is ran under the pad.
    2. HVAC - Need to do a full HVAC setup, all runs for heating/cooling everything. House will have in-floor radiant heat, that part I will do myself.
    3. Septic System - I have a guy lined up, but not entirely set on him yet. Looking for any recommendations other might have. Would need the whole thing basically, tank, leach field all that good stuff.
    4. Spray foam - going to be a warm attic setup, spray foam EVERYWHERE!

Those are 3 right off the bat that I know I will need, I am sure there is more, but figure I start gathering info now.

Thanks
    Last edited by eblend; 06-09-2021 at 01:32 PM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Is this for the rural property you were discussing previously?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Is this for the rural property you were discussing previously?
    Indeed it is. Going to be applying for Homeowner Builder permit soon to get the ball rolling.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

If you are capable the savings are likely very significant at a rural property, as a disproportionate amount of your build cost will be travel by trades.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    *The First*

Aren't you going to need 3 or 4 piles along with some bigger concrete footings in certain areas?

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    Aren't you going to need 3 or 4 piles along with some bigger concrete footings in certain areas?
    Don't know most of that, it's a fully Engineered building, they take care of everything related to the actual shell of the structure, it's built to lockup, so basically doors/windows already installed, it's a full building in building wrap, with no interior and no siding (but full metal roof). Everything that's structural is engineered and built by them, all interior walls are non-load bearing, so you can technically put them anywhere you want, but they provide engineering and design for interior layout as well, which we love. I am asking for a modification to have an extra garage, and I think I might throw a lift in there, in that case I will have to make some footings in the area of the lift to support the weight.

My Ride
    *The First*

Don't know most of that, it's a fully Engineered building, they take care of everything related to the actual shell of the structure, it's built to lockup, so basically doors/windows already installed, it's a full building in building wrap, with no interior and no siding (but full metal roof). Everything that's structural is engineered and built by them, all interior walls are non-load bearing, so you can technically put them anywhere you want, but they provide engineering and design for interior layout as well, which we love. I am asking for a modification to have an extra garage, and I think I might throw a lift in there, in that case I will have to make some footings in the area of the lift to support the weight.
    Yeah, perhaps they're more likely just beefy footings without a pile under them.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Would you put a house up without an Engineered foundation/slab? Would a Municipality allow it?
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Some cabins are built as a "garage package" and interior walls are built afterwards. Similar concept.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Would you put a house up without an Engineered foundation/slab? Would a Municipality allow it?
    That's how pole-barn constructions are done. You still go through all the permitting and stuff, so it's not like you go buy a building and they just throw it on your land and tell you to pound sand. Basically you apply for a building permit with all drawing from the company, and the county approves it. The "foundation" is actually screw piles. The whole building is sitting on screw piles the whole way around. The pad inside is basically just floating base for the rest of your build. It has no structural strengths, aside from holding a couple of walls up, which have no load bearing on top. Lots of YouTube on this if you are curious. I have watched a ton of videos over the last few months, and that got me into wanting to do this myself. Met the builder last week and had a good chat about it.

For those who are curious of generally how this works. This guy has a channel of building one from scratch completely, too hardcore for me, I will get the shell done and go from there:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcF...iB7-vrSywJNtfQ

This is generally what it looks like in this type of construction with cement poured after the fact.

Last edited by eblend; 06-09-2021 at 03:05 PM.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast