Quantcast
ELI5: Heatpump System in Alberta - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: ELI5: Heatpump System in Alberta

My Ride
    Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dusting off some rust here, but it's a Carnot heat cycle in reverse, isn't it? What's there to debate?
    Correct. The issue is just the term that is associated with one specific type of equipment. Just like ‘internal combustion engine’ is going to immediately conjure up a mental imagine of a reciprocating piston motor running off dinosaur farts.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

I mean the reality is that many of the green systems just make no sense here.

What DOES make sense is Geothermal heatpumps - but there are big upfront costs for individual homes. Centralized geothermal (eg. bury the pipes in a new build neighbourhood) in our soft dirt would be the ideal setup.

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    It's all air conditioning. For some reason, "AC" has been associated with cooling. Likely because most of the US requires cooling over heating.

There are Heatpump Water heaters now too. Take the heat out of the house and put it in the water. Super efficient, but kinda stupid in Calgary in the winter.

I am looking at getting to Net Zero in our house build. Fuck tonne of insulation (minimum R28 walls, maybe higher and R60 ceilings). Super air tight (looking at Aero barrier).

I am still going to run a gas furnace and gas water tank. Looked at solar water heating. I was watching this link when it was -30C and the days were short. By mid afternoon, it might reach 0C.
    https://www.vbus.net/scheme/844e4f8a...3b6140c87393a5

I'm not so sure if $15K is worth running solar water heater that I have to supplement with electric heat from the grid. The $1,500 water tank seems like a bargain.
    R60 in attic is easy to do. Hell I have it. Walls should be R40 minimum. Problem is windows. They suck for R value. Best you can get is about R4. So you have to limit how many windows you have. Best not to have any. Exterior doors are also a problem.

Solar water heating sucks. Besides the inconsistent heat you'd always have to be worried about Legionnaires disease.

I just remember reading an article in FH about someone's off grid house experience long term. The couple sold the house and went back to a conventional setup. The article was trying so hard to not be negative, but a quote from the wife was telling: "I just wanted hot coffee in the morning."

Good luck.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    I mean the reality is that many of the green systems just make no sense here.

What DOES make sense is Geothermal heatpumps - but there are big upfront costs for individual homes. Centralized geothermal (eg. bury the pipes in a new build neighbourhood) in our soft dirt would be the ideal setup.
    Bumping thread.

So in a situation like this, How much would it affect the utility bills? I'm starting to think this may be worthy for infloor setup in the garage, and some cooling for the summer.

In the garage who cares if it 'only' makes 10C in the winter, it's perfect and must be cheaper than upfront cost of forced or Radiant heaters through the life of 20 years??

Interesting.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2