Quantcast
Travelling abroad during Covid for Emergencies - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: Travelling abroad during Covid for Emergencies

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Parked in Baygirl's garage.
    My Ride
    2019 F150 Lariat 3.5L BOOST!
    Posts
    4,368
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maxx Mazda View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wait, you WANT travel to be a pain in the ass right now? Did I read that correctly?
    Yes. I personally don't think that international travel in and out of Canada is smart right now. IMO I believe that many other countries out there are not as rigorous about containing the spread of C19 as Canada, thus making a traveler to said countries more susceptible to catching it, being asymptomatic, and spreading it once back. Or, a traveler from another country coming to Canada and spreading it. In my mind it is all about trying to NOT overwhelm the health care system needlessly. I have friends who work for AHS in various capacities and when I speak with them, the stories vary somewhat, but one constant thing between all of them was how close the Alberta Health Care system, in particular, came to that precipice during the peak of the last wave.

    So yeah, I am against all unnecessary foreign travel, 98%, with the exception being for people like our beloved tiger who is now in the UK for palliative care of a loved one, and other such examples. People going to the beach to sip margaritas, fuck em.

    Of course, all my objections to this go out the window once vaccines are available to everyone and the risks are lowered.

    Again, just my opinion based on my experiences and speaking with those I believe with first hand knowledge and not all the armchair QBs out there drinking beer sayin "What i'd do is..."
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

    Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Protege 5 Turbo / Ecoboost FX4
    Posts
    1,226
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spikerS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes. I personally don't think that international travel in and out of Canada is smart right now. IMO I believe that many other countries out there are not as rigorous about containing the spread of C19 as Canada, thus making a traveler to said countries more susceptible to catching it, being asymptomatic, and spreading it once back. Or, a traveler from another country coming to Canada and spreading it. In my mind it is all about trying to NOT overwhelm the health care system needlessly. I have friends who work for AHS in various capacities and when I speak with them, the stories vary somewhat, but one constant thing between all of them was how close the Alberta Health Care system, in particular, came to that precipice during the peak of the last wave.

    So yeah, I am against all unnecessary foreign travel, 98%, with the exception being for people like our beloved tiger who is now in the UK for palliative care of a loved one, and other such examples. People going to the beach to sip margaritas, fuck em.

    Of course, all my objections to this go out the window once vaccines are available to everyone and the risks are lowered.

    Again, just my opinion based on my experiences and speaking with those I believe with first hand knowledge and not all the armchair QBs out there drinking beer sayin "What i'd do is..."
    But, you're required to show proof of a negative result prior to being able to travel, to get on an airplane that's been thoroughly disinfected, to wear a mask, etc. I'd argue that travellers are some of the "safest" people to be allowed into any country at this point.

    These restrictions on travel are KILLING the travel industry and everything associated with it. They need to end, or pretty soon there won't be a travel industry anymore once and IF this ever ends.
    ...

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    508
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    We are currently out of Canada and have been since November. We extended our trip because of the chaos at home but unfortunately, I have to be home and ready for the next round of surgeries and scans in May. So, we are heading back at the end of the month. Our situation is a little different than the OP, but there the return home is the same. Depending on where you first touch down, will depend on what you have to do and how to manage it. Do you have your flight plan yet? In addition, the gov't has not been making any quarantine exceptions for individuals who are travelling out of canada to assist with a dying relative. If it were the opposite (ie: parent unwell and youre travelling to canada to assist), you can apply for humanitarian exceptions to quarantine differently.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Parked in Baygirl's garage.
    My Ride
    2019 F150 Lariat 3.5L BOOST!
    Posts
    4,368
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maxx Mazda View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But, you're required to show proof of a negative result prior to being able to travel, to get on an airplane that's been thoroughly disinfected, to wear a mask, etc.
    yeah, a negative result 72 hours prior to boarding the plane. That means that there is 72+ hours from the time of the test to the time you get on the plane where you can contract the virus and then get packed onto a cattle car and bring home a surprise. If that wasn't an issue, the required hotel quarantine wouldn't be a thing, right?

    I'd argue that travellers are some of the "safest" people to be allowed into any country at this point.
    I would argue that your logic is flawed at best.

    These restrictions on travel are KILLING the travel industry and everything associated with it. They need to end, or pretty soon there won't be a travel industry anymore once and IF this ever ends.
    Yes, I get it. It has also killed MANY other businesses not associated with the travel industry. This has literally impacted EVERY business and EVERY person in Canada negatively in one way or another and to varying degrees, and mostly in a damaging way.

    Your argument is saying that you have a 100% deadly cancerous flesh-eating growth on the tip of your nose, and will spread like wildfire and kill you within 2 weeks. Not only that, it is highly contagious and can spread to anyone you meet. You are saying that you shouldn't cut off your nose to save your life and others around you because you like participating in princess pageants and your swimsuit would clash with your prosthetic nose.

    The travel industry will ALWAYS be there, regardless of how this plays out. It just may be with a different group of companies and maybe a better way of doing things. That's what your issue boils down to.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

    Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Calgary, Ab
    My Ride
    Zonda CRV
    Posts
    749
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dannie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We are currently out of Canada and have been since November. We extended our trip because of the chaos at home but unfortunately, I have to be home and ready for the next round of surgeries and scans in May. So, we are heading back at the end of the month. Our situation is a little different than the OP, but there the return home is the same. Depending on where you first touch down, will depend on what you have to do and how to manage it. Do you have your flight plan yet? In addition, the gov't has not been making any quarantine exceptions for individuals who are travelling out of canada to assist with a dying relative. If it were the opposite (ie: parent unwell and youre travelling to canada to assist), you can apply for humanitarian exceptions to quarantine differently.
    @dannie No flight plan as of yet. Unfortunately Dad went into Cardiac arrest Sunday and is in a induced coma. Its a waiting game now. Im just supporting mum and my siblings, then I'l try and figure that out. KLM to Calgary seems a option.
    If you have a medical need to come back. It might be worth checking if you can get a exception and quarantine directly at home. If you can, write to your MP so your case can be tracked. Nothing may come of it, but it leaves a audit trail that might be very useful come election time.

    If you can, try and fly into Calgary direct. From what I have researched the cost of the hotels have not been as bad.

    Here is a list.
    https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...s-booking.html

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    508
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    @dannie No flight plan as of yet. Unfortunately Dad went into Cardiac arrest Sunday and is in a induced coma. Its a waiting game now. Im just supporting mum and my siblings, then I'l try and figure that out. KLM to Calgary seems a option.
    If you have a medical need to come back. It might be worth checking if you can get a exception and quarantine directly at home. If you can, write to your MP so your case can be tracked. Nothing may come of it, but it leaves a audit trail that might be very useful come election time.

    If you can, try and fly into Calgary direct. From what I have researched the cost of the hotels have not been as bad.

    Here is a list.
    https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...s-booking.html
    I'm sorry to hear that. Ya, our trip down here was medical related but not considered essential. For you though, definitely fly into Calgary if you can. Best Western is relatively inexpensive for single or double occupancy.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Canuckistan
    My Ride
    Exploded.
    Posts
    7,107
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    @dannie No flight plan as of yet. Unfortunately Dad went into Cardiac arrest Sunday and is in a induced coma. Its a waiting game now. Im just supporting mum and my siblings, then I'l try and figure that out. KLM to Calgary seems a option.
    If you have a medical need to come back. It might be worth checking if you can get a exception and quarantine directly at home. If you can, write to your MP so your case can be tracked. Nothing may come of it, but it leaves a audit trail that might be very useful come election time.

    If you can, try and fly into Calgary direct. From what I have researched the cost of the hotels have not been as bad.

    Here is a list.
    https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...s-booking.html
    Sorry to hear, man.


    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The benefit of masks is not known at this time. But we do know it is some non-trivial amount more than zero.

    We also know that the cost of mask use is, essentially, zero.

    So the cost:benefit of mask use is approaching infinity. I'll take that every time. And every time I see someone without a mask, I think they are stupid.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Parked in Baygirl's garage.
    My Ride
    2019 F150 Lariat 3.5L BOOST!
    Posts
    4,368
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    @dannie No flight plan as of yet. Unfortunately Dad went into Cardiac arrest Sunday and is in a induced coma. Its a waiting game now. Im just supporting mum and my siblings, then I'l try and figure that out. KLM to Calgary seems a option.
    If you have a medical need to come back. It might be worth checking if you can get a exception and quarantine directly at home. If you can, write to your MP so your case can be tracked. Nothing may come of it, but it leaves a audit trail that might be very useful come election time.

    If you can, try and fly into Calgary direct. From what I have researched the cost of the hotels have not been as bad.

    Here is a list.
    https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...s-booking.html
    Condolences dude. My sympathies. We just went through this with my MIL who lived with us.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

    Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    C400
    Posts
    473
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    @dannie No flight plan as of yet. Unfortunately Dad went into Cardiac arrest Sunday and is in a induced coma. Its a waiting game now. Im just supporting mum and my siblings, then I'l try and figure that out. KLM to Calgary seems a option.
    If you have a medical need to come back. It might be worth checking if you can get a exception and quarantine directly at home. If you can, write to your MP so your case can be tracked. Nothing may come of it, but it leaves a audit trail that might be very useful come election time.

    If you can, try and fly into Calgary direct. From what I have researched the cost of the hotels have not been as bad.

    Here is a list.
    https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...s-booking.html
    Double check that Schengen Area is allowing entrance from UK back to Canada before booking a ticket.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 168
    Latest Threads: 11-15-2020, 01:40 PM
  2. Buying car in New Brunswick - allowed to fly in from AB during Covid?

    By zipdoa in forum Society / Law / Current Events / Politics
    Replies: 36
    Latest Threads: 10-21-2020, 05:34 PM
  3. Vehicle travelling 151km/h on QEII during poor road conditions

    By thetransporter in forum Society / Law / Current Events / Politics
    Replies: 43
    Latest Threads: 03-28-2014, 05:14 PM
  4. Travelling during Christmas

    By interlude in forum Travel and Vacation
    Replies: 5
    Latest Threads: 09-18-2013, 07:24 AM
  5. filling report at CPS for non-emergencies

    By lilmira in forum Society / Law / Current Events / Politics
    Replies: 20
    Latest Threads: 12-15-2010, 10:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •