Quantcast
Modern geo vs more traditional Geo for trail riding around here? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Modern geo vs more traditional Geo for trail riding around here?

Default Modern geo vs more traditional Geo for trail riding around here?

own a couple bikes with modern - Megatower and Devinci Troy (mine and wife)

also still have a 2016 Stumpy...

Though I absolutely love the sit in deep travel, long low and slack feel of the Megatower at Park and going down the steeps... I just don't like either bike for general trail/flow riding.

I find the Modern geo is ok for pedaling with the steep STA, up relatively non-technical climbs and then bombing down a 747 or something at moose, but just isn't that fun at Bragg (Ranger/Merlin/Long Distnace/Telephone loop)

I find the shorter reach, higher stack, and more less steep HTA keeps a more active engagement through the climbing, flat cornering and overall transition where its flowey up and down. Just dab less when things are slower and technical I guess...

for this reason, I'll keep the stumpy - but even the "downcountry" bikes are now going modern geo and just less travel. Its like the old Kona Process 111 29er got it right 6 years before Santa Cruz, Transition, Trek did

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

I've got a V4 Nomad and a V4 Tallboy. Downcountry is super fun but has it's limits.

The Nomad is perfectly fine going up and down WBC trails. The TB just does it better. I am actually faster on the down with the TB on the backside of the Merlin loop. I've had no issue climbing and it feels nimble for a 29er. It's isn't just geometry that is getting better, it's also the lower link driven shocks that help with climbing and descending.

For slugging up the road and down Moose trails, I'll take the Nomad. My Nomad is setup for park / downhill with an 11-6 and ACS coil up front.

I've been tempted to get a V5 Nomad with the tweaked geo, but it doesn't seem worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've got a V4 Nomad and a V4 Tallboy. Downcountry is super fun but has it's limits.

The Nomad is perfectly fine going up and down WBC trails. The TB just does it better. I am actually faster on the down with the TB on the backside of the Merlin loop. I've had no issue climbing and it feels nimble for a 29er. It's isn't just geometry that is getting better, it's also the lower link driven shocks that help with climbing and descending.

For slugging up the road and down Moose trails, I'll take the Nomad. My Nomad is setup for park / downhill with an 11-6 and ACS coil up front.

I've been tempted to get a V5 Nomad with the tweaked geo, but it doesn't seem worth it.
    Not sure you ever rode the V3 tallboy, but I know the V4 to me is more akin to the modern downcountry - i.e. Spur, SB115, Fuel Ex...which I feel is like a short travel version of a All mountain bike (sub 66 HTA, >75 STA, and a reach > 460) whereas I kinda prefer the older Long Travel XC, which the older Tallboy, Stumpy, Trance "were" not even that long ago... (66->69 HTA, 74/75 STA, 445 reach) for our type of terrain

My Ride
    ute

I've got an SB150, and I had to change my riding style quite a bit. Up over the front wheel and trust the front end more. It's certainly more lazy in the flow trails, but also more challenging in a good way.

It’s always the same answer, “It depends on what you ride”. For more flowy/pedally trails “relatively modern” geometry is good enough, and I think the really long bikes take away from fun. The Megatower is also A LOT of bike. Not a lot of places this side of the continental divide to put that bruiser to use.

For me, versatility is key as I don’t want to maintain 2 mountain bikes. So its got to be able to do the Husky/Moose/Bragg/Razors type of terrain, the odd bike park day, and most of anything in the North Shore – Pemberton corridor.

On that note I ordered a Stumpy Evo in December, who knows if it’ll ever get here though. 160/150mm. STA 77 which is perfect, HTA 63.0-65.5 so I can set it up as a trail bike, or borderline downhill bike. S5 frame is 6.8 lbs which is light. Most of all, the frame storage is a gamechanger so on short-medium rides I won’t even have a fanny pack.

Quote Originally Posted by dimi View Post
    It’s always the same answer, “It depends on what you ride”. For more flowy/pedally trails “relatively modern” geometry is good enough, and I think the really long bikes take away from fun. The Megatower is also A LOT of bike. Not a lot of places this side of the continental divide to put that bruiser to use.

For me, versatility is key as I don’t want to maintain 2 mountain bikes. So its got to be able to do the Husky/Moose/Bragg/Razors type of terrain, the odd bike park day, and most of anything in the North Shore – Pemberton corridor.

On that note I ordered a Stumpy Evo in December, who knows if it’ll ever get here though. 160/150mm. STA 77 which is perfect, HTA 63.0-65.5 so I can set it up as a trail bike, or borderline downhill bike. S5 frame is 6.8 lbs which is light. Most of all, the frame storage is a gamechanger so on short-medium rides I won’t even have a fanny pack.
    I looked at that bike too, and maybe regret not going down that direction.. it is still a gravity oriented 1 bike quiver

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Anything I buy must be good going down. I have no need to “clean” anything. I’m gonna be 45 this year and DGAF about proving myself to anyone, including me. Haha

I’m happy to go from parking lot, up bragging, round Merlin and back through reconnect in just a pubic hair under an hour.

That being said, I get off on my Nomad more in the high position than riding the TB in low.

I’ve been tempted to sell the Nomad as it is a big bike for around here like the Mega. I took it to Cox last year. Never again. Lol. Long Travel E-bike is what you need for that trail.

Calgary Cycle has treated me so well, that I can only buy what they sell. Haha I’ve lusted after the Stumpy, but just couldn’t go to another LBS.

I thought the Nomad was my one bike quiver killer, but short travel down country seem to be even better.

I’m not due for a new bike until 2022, so I can wait for the “next best thing”. Then again I just bought my son a Fluid FS2 and that is eating into my new bike budget.

I’ve bought 4 bikes at CC, and I’ve gotten great service there, but I do miss the old small shop vibe. End of the day, I do most of all my servicing so it’s irrelevant where I buy from.

I was considering a Hightower 2, Druid, Ripmo 2, Sb130, but the Stumpy seemed like the best overall package. I also wanted something other than a SC, which is basically every 2nd bike at moose/bragg haha.

Quote Originally Posted by dimi View Post
    I’ve bought 4 bikes at CC, and I’ve gotten great service there, but I do miss the old small shop vibe. End of the day, I do most of all my servicing so it’s irrelevant where I buy from.

I was considering a Hightower 2, Druid, Ripmo 2, Sb130, but the Stumpy seemed like the best overall package. I also wanted something other than a SC, which is basically every 2nd bike at moose/bragg haha.
    no doubt - I still like Divinci because of DW link, supports Cactus and also because the AL frames are still made in Quebec.

I really don't need a mega tower at all, may get rid and get a all mountain free ride hardtail to replace it