Quantcast
Overtime - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Overtime

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Default Overtime

How do your companies handle this? do they think that you guys should just do it with no compensation at all because you are salaried and there fore not entitled to overtime, or do you get compensated at 1.5x or time off in lieu?

At my company there are projects where you get overtime and some projects where you would never be in that position so there is no overtime at all. Also we often travel to work sites (mostly O & G) and there is often the expectation to do 12 hour days where 4 hours of that would be overtime; however recently our project margins have been super tight so we still have to bill 12 hours to the customer but we personally don't get anything for that extra 4 hours per day.

I had a long conversation with one of my coworkers about this yesterday and he had told me he had never claimed overtime for the last 5 years, where as I had been claiming overtime on the exact same projects and usually making around 15k per year extra income he said he felt like he lost money...

My company never told me about overtime it was only after reading the HR policies that I found this out.
    Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Could have been over 60% if I wasn’t a paper hand bitch

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    How do your companies handle this? do they think that you guys should just do it with no compensation at all because you are salaried and there fore not entitled to overtime, or do you get compensated at 1.5x or time off in lieu?

At my company there are projects where you get overtime and some projects where you would never be in that position so there is no overtime at all. Also we often travel to work sites (mostly O & G) and there is often the expectation to do 12 hour days where 4 hours of that would be overtime; however recently our project margins have been super tight so we still have to bill 12 hours to the customer but we personally don't get anything for that extra 4 hours per day.

I had a long conversation with one of my coworkers about this yesterday and he had told me he had never claimed overtime for the last 5 years, where as I had been claiming overtime on the exact same projects and usually making around 15k per year extra income he said he felt like he lost money...

My company never told me about overtime it was only after reading the HR policies that I found this out.
    Anything outside of normal business hours for me ends up time in lieu. I'd rather not have "OT" pay as that just fucks with tax brackets if you end up with too much.

I prefer tracking the time and getting the TIL instead.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

We get it 'banked' in lieu.. Zero chance id be donating 4 hours a day of driving time to the company pocket.. Im also not a P. Eng however..

Never heard of anyone salaried in my company claiming overtime. I'm sure that we have some sort of policy to be able to do that, but it feels like a good way to get moved up on the list of people to be laid off next.

Generally we just give time off in lieu i.e. if we have to work on a Saturday for a major deployment or something, boss will tell us to take a day off to make up for it.

But then again i've never worked in a consulting type of role where you bill hours to clients so maybe that's standard for those types of industries?

In my experience (O&G):

Salaried positions: OT is expected if needed without direct compensation, but come bonus/raise time it will probably be taken into consideration. Often this more than balances out with various company perks like bonus days off, extra long weekends, getting told to go home at 2pm on a nice summer day occasionally, being able to leave for personal appointments like the Dentist without having to burn vacation days, etc. YMMV there of course.

Hourly positions/contractors: When I was a contractor, OT (beyond a 7.5hr work day) was just billed as additional regular hours without a 50% or 100% multiplier or whatever, but on days where I had to come into the office even for 1 hour there was a 4hr minimum pay.

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    I'd rather not have "OT" pay as that just fucks with tax brackets if you end up with too much.
    Income taxes in Canada are progressive. If you get pushed into the next tax bracket, only the income in that tax bracket gets taxed at the new higher rate. not the income below.

The exception would be income-tested government programs, but most people working full time jobs don't have to worry about this.

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    Income taxes in Canada are progressive. If you get pushed into the next tax bracket, only the income in that tax bracket gets taxed at the new higher rate. not the income below.

The exception would be income-tested programs, but most people working full time jobs don't have to worry about this.
    This. Tax brackets are probably one of the most commonly misunderstood things I can think of haha.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    We get it 'banked' in lieu.. Zero chance id be donating 4 hours a day of driving time to the company pocket.. Im also not a P. Eng however..
    Im also not an engineer I work in IT for a software company. However for example I have to go to 2 sites next week - I agreed to go to one site in cold lake and when I asked what flight I should book the PM said "flight!! you are driving there on Sunday" So its a 5.5/6 hour drive to get there, not allowed to charge travel time, not allowed to claim overtime expected to work 12 hour days and that doesnt include the driving to site thats 1 hour each way.

Time in Lieu doesn't really interest me as I already get 4 to 5 weeks of holiday per year.

I also find that US based projects that have onsite time tend to always pay overtime.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Contractor life ftw. Just pay me for what I work. Sucks not getting 1.5x but at the same time usually your hourly rate is sufficient that I'm happy working as many hours as I can. Plus since it's not 1.5x I find most companies are more willing to spring for extra hours than when I was salary and they were dancing around 'no OT' policies and try to push time in lieu that there was never time to take.

My last salary job was shitty though. We 'worked' 37.5 hour weeks for our Salary but received no OT (or additional straight time) until over 44 hours a week. So during quiet times you gain a bit working a tad shorter weeks but on busy projects you lose a bit by not getting any extra until the 44hr cap. Particularly sucks if you go and do 6hrs on a Saturday for 0 pay. After 44hrs it was 1.5x for however much.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post

The exception would be income-tested government programs, but most people working full time jobs don't have to worry about this.
    I would be supportive of creating a federal department dedicated to staffers going around wacking people on the head with a newspaper every time they talk about how they are afraid of moving into the next tax bracket because it will cost them more money than they will make.

I think every Canadian should be forced to file their own taxes, by hand, once in their lifetime before accessing social services. After they do it once they can be allowed to pay someone to do it for them.

Also I’m not sure I have worked a job where OT was a thing since I was 16.
    Last edited by killramos; 03-04-2021 at 11:23 AM.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

I look at the overtime when asked to go onsite as a benefit of actually going onsite otherwise what reason is for me to even go there, I'm just placing more burden on my wife and family for being away for 1 to 2 weeks. Theres not alot of trips I go on where you only work 8 hours a day and thats it with no requirement to drive anywhere and then you also get recreation time on top of that.

A lot of guys in my organization are really concerned that they have to do travel or work late every night or else they will be laid off...

There's also the excuse that in this market you have to do that - we have been in this "market" for the last 6 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    In my experience (O&G):

Salaried positions: OT is expected if needed without direct compensation, but come bonus/raise time it will probably be taken into consideration.
    I feel like alot of companies just expect it but then come compensation time don't do this. In my experience its really hard to find a company in this city that actually pays good salary increased (outside of O/G). I used to work at Telus with a couple of east indian guys and we all made the same amount of money 70K per year (this was in 2012), all three of us had 10 years of Network Engineer/Admin experience, the two east indian guys both had CCIE's. Every year at performance review time we were given 0, everyone in the team was given 0%. Telus did not believe in COLA raises. When I left in 2015 my other coworker (a contractor) was offered a full time position on the team - he was offered 70K per year. I talked to one of the east indian guys last May - he was still on 70K per year except now he has another CCIE and hes also been made the team lead for the team of 10 people. He was also told that the salary had been frozen for 2 years. I asked him why he stayed for so long and he said it was because Telus allowed him to go back to india once per year to see his family, a trip that used all of his leave plus one week of unpaid leave, mate thats not a benefit that a vacation. At my performance increases which were always good I asked why there were no increases and the manager said - if you dont want to work here we can always find someone else who will do this job for the same or less money.
    Last edited by nzwasp; 03-04-2021 at 11:37 AM.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Im also not an engineer I work in IT for a software company. However for example I have to go to 2 sites next week - I agreed to go to one site in cold lake and when I asked what flight I should book the PM said "flight!! you are driving there on Sunday" So its a 5.5/6 hour drive to get there, not allowed to charge travel time, not allowed to claim overtime expected to work 12 hour days and that doesnt include the driving to site thats 1 hour each way.
    That sounds like your PM underbid the job and he doesnt want to writeoff your travel time... He will make his stats look better by making you eat the time. OT or not, should at least get the straight time, as youre not working for the joy of working.

It'd be one thing if it was like 'hey man can you work an extra few hours this week to get this done', but he's just boosting his labor multiplier with no benefit to you
    Last edited by Brent.ff; 03-04-2021 at 11:30 AM.

My Ride
    *The First*

Years ago, Worley (and likely others) would charge clients a 1.5x premium for hours exceeding 40/week (or whatever that person's regular scheduled hours were). The employee would get 1.00 hours in their bank. Where did that money go? Straight to some Australian kangaroo fucker's profit center. It was a fictional charge for an additional cost that wasn't borne. Once the employee had exceeded 40hr in their time bank, then and only then would they receive 1.5x their wage as extra money on their next cheque and it would only be for the extra hours "spilling out" of their bank. This was technically legal although obviously shitty.
    The NDP changed this in a really vague way, so they stopped stealing from their clients and employees.
    I'm pretty sure the UCP reversed what the NDP did, so I think it's back.

*This whole thing only applied to employees who were eligible for 1.5x which was some (not all, for some reason) Designers/Tech's and not engineers.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I've never worked a job where my hours were billed to a client. But if My hours were getting billed, I'd want to get paid for them. Seems reasonable.

For my work, and at every company I've ever been at, there was an expectation of occasional overtime. You managed it yourself in terms of taking off time in lieu. Current company has a process for tracking banked time. I've used it, but it's easier for me and my boss if I don't do that and just "do what's fair."
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Contractor life ftw. Just pay me for what I work. Sucks not getting 1.5x but at the same time usually your hourly rate is sufficient that I'm happy working as many hours as I can. Plus since it's not 1.5x I find most companies are more willing to spring for extra hours than when I was salary and they were dancing around 'no OT' policies and try to push time in lieu that there was never time to take.

My last salary job was shitty though. We 'worked' 37.5 hour weeks for our Salary but received no OT (or additional straight time) until over 44 hours a week. So during quiet times you gain a bit working a tad shorter weeks but on busy projects you lose a bit by not getting any extra until the 44hr cap. Particularly sucks if you go and do 6hrs on a Saturday for 0 pay. After 44hrs it was 1.5x for however much.
    I'm sure it's different for everyone, but in my experience, once you account for health benefits, vacation/flex days, bonuses, any kind of stock or long term incentive plan, freedom to attend appointments on company time, etc. I was making nearly double as a salaried employee vs when I was a contractor in the same position. When they were determining the hourly rate they told me they used a 20-30% multiplier on the equivalent salaried position which I soon learned was not nearly enough to account for having to pay for my own benefits and missing out on all vacation, bonuses, incentives, etc. Contractors are also typically the first to get laid off if there is any kind of downsizing, and I was always worried about that. That mostly applies to O&G though as many other industries don't have the same level of additional compensation on top of the salary.

If you're lucky enough to have all that taken into account when determining your hourly rate (vs. a salaried position), then I can see how it would be a lot better than my previous situation. Also maybe I was just given a really shitty contractor rate haha.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

To put it simply, look at your companies policy for OT. If you're not an exempt employee, bill it all and make the PM clean up the mess he put himself in. If you are exempt, i'd be talking to HR to get an exemption to that policy when doing out of town work because as you said, this isnt what you signed up for and are putting an additional cost on your family with zero pay for that.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Regarding my other point I think its strange how people go out of their way to justify why they are getting a low salary. I have another friend making 65K and hes a senior marketing analyst. He said the reason he doesnt push for salary increases and just gets what he is given is because he has to drop his kids off at school every morning. When I hear stories like that and then see the amount of money that his company makes I think he's just being taken for a ride. Although maybe 65K is the expected salary for a senior analyst with 20 years experience

Regarding my other point I think its strange how people go out of their way to justify why they are getting a low salary. I have another friend making 65K and hes a senior marketing analyst. He said the reason he doesnt push for salary increases and just gets what he is given is because he has to drop his kids off at school every morning. When I hear stories like that and then see the amount of money that his company makes I think he's just being taken for a ride. Although maybe 65K is the expected salary for a senior analyst with 20 years experience
    That seems like an extremely low salary for a Sr. Marketing Analyst (I assume O&G). That is barely more than what a 1st year low-level employee or summer student would make.

Most companies also have no problem with people working somewhat flexible hours to deal with their kids, so if he's an hour late every morning if he just worked an extra hour to even it out, most companies wouldn't bat an eye.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    That seems like an extremely low salary for a Sr. Marketing Analyst (I assume O&G). That is barely more than what a 1st year low-level employee or summer student would make.

Most companies also have no problem with people working somewhat flexible hours to deal with their kids, so if he's an hour late every morning if he just worked an extra hour to even it out, most companies wouldn't bat an eye.
    Yeah its non oil and gas but more in the retail / product marketing business.

Its hard to know what the market for IT salaries should be in Calgary because it seems to me like in traditional IT the salaries haven't really changed much in the last 10 years.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

unless you're going to flip employers, youre not gonna get a big bump in pay (and why would they if you're not saying boo?)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast