Quantcast
Alberta New Home Warranty Program - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Alberta New Home Warranty Program

My Ride
    BMW/Lexus

Default Alberta New Home Warranty Program

Hi Beyond,

Does anyone have experience with ANHWP? We are in the process of selling our house (built new in 2015) and believe there is structural damage in the house. We have contacted the builder to come in for an assessment. Do I file a claim with ANHWP at this time or should this only take place upon disagreement with the home builder after the inspection?

Thanks for your time.

My Ride
    *The First*

Why do you think structural?
    Water on the floor in basement that you think is coming from the foundation wall? It's more likely failed vapour barrier or vapor getting to the concrete walls/foundation due to another insulation issue like poor spray foam in rim joist cavities.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Last time I looked at ANHWP it was worthless bullshit, but that was a very long time ago. Does it now cover 6 years for structural?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

OP, we're building now and iirc when reading through the contract we signed to build we're meant to contact the builder first for any claims before contacting ANHWP. If you can't come to an agreement with the builder then you have to file a claim with ANHWP.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Last time I looked at ANHWP it was worthless bullshit, but that was a very long time ago. Does it now cover 6 years for structural?
    Structural is 10 years, at least now it is.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I'm betting this issue is not part of that 10 years. I'm also betting ANHWP is still worthless bullshit.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

You need to contact your builder first, they should be fixing it if it's a legit issue. If they refuse and you have to go through ANHWP, I have had two separate builders themselves tell me it is 100% useless as it is run by builders, for builders. Best of luck. Unfortunately they hold all the cards.

This what my warranty card says:

Defects in materials and labor - one year

Defects in materials and labor in relation to delivery and distribution systems - two years

Defects in the building structure envelope - five years

Structural Defects - ten years

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

ANHWP is the AMVIC of houses

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    You need to contact your builder first, they should be fixing it if it's a legit issue. If they refuse and you have to go through ANHWP, I have had two separate builders themselves tell me it is 100% useless as it is run by builders, for builders. Best of luck. Unfortunately they hold all the cards.

This what my warranty card says:

Defects in materials and labor - one year

Defects in materials and labor in relation to delivery and distribution systems - two years

Defects in the building structure envelope - five years

Structural Defects - ten years
    The number of exclusions that each one of these has makes it nearly impossible to get anything done. I'm actually curious if anyones ever had success with it..

for your reading pleasure:
    https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/992c...ance-guide.pdf

My favorite is all the 'this is not a defect'. Voids under concrete? nope, not a defect. Oh your driveway has heaved? Oh you must have let water in under it..
    Last edited by Brent.ff; 03-17-2021 at 09:37 AM.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    ANHWP is the AMVIC of houses
    This.
    /thread.

But still seriously, I can magically tell what OP's issue is, and it isn't structural.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

the people who like the ANHWP are the salespeople.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    But still seriously, I can magically tell what OP's issue is, and it isn't structural.
    Yes this is obviously not structural, it was clear from the first post.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    The number of exclusions that each one of these has makes it nearly impossible to get anything done. I'm actually curious if anyones ever had success with it..

for your reading pleasure:
    https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/992c...ance-guide.pdf

My favorite is all the 'this is not a defect'. Voids under concrete? nope, not a defect. Oh your driveway has heaved? Oh you must have let water in under it..

Thankfully, my builder has actually been awesome (so far). They mud-jacked my patio slab when it sunk and re-graded our back yard landscaping even though 'settling' of any kind is not covered under warranty, and they also fixed some minor things in the house even after the one year warranty was up. Hopefully I never have to test them on a structural claim or something major like that as I imagine those are nearly impossible to get approved.

It's definitely set up in such a way though that they can just deny everything, so I think picking your builder carefully is very important albeit still no guarantee.

Another thing I forgot to mention, if you touch anything yourself, they can deny the claim, even if you have to touch it to verify that it is in fact broken. Or if the broken component is hidden and you have to remove something to even find out that it's broken in the first place, they can deny it since you fiddled with it, basically a chicken and egg situation haha.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 03-17-2021 at 12:48 PM.

My Ride
    1991 Toyota Soarer

Last time I looked at ANHWP it was worthless bullshit
    I can confirm that this is a very true statement, I have had the privilege of dealing with these losers since 2018 and still dealing with the clowns. I won 30 out of 42 items claimed it would have been all of them if I would have met my wife during her first year of ownership, so far the bill to the builder has just been less then 150k just on the exterior they still have issues on all 3 floors inside. I also have worked for builders since 2002 and have been in all the "boys club coffee meeting with ANHWP" its a total joke and run by builders and I did not let them get away with any of the typical games.

You DO NOT need to go through your builder to make the claim but you will for sure be forced to deal with then during the whole process after, ANHWP will try and strong arm the builder to fix it until you get sent to Claims resolutions but even then you are forced to deal with them but ANHWP says "they" make the calls. not true they are just a typical insurance company trying to cut all costs. Our home was build in 2015 also and that is right before the Mandatory warranty changes, which sucks it makes things even harder as I learnt

After dealing with them I will NEVER buy a new built home again, they will never get another dollar of my money.

if you do make that claim feel free to PM me I have ALL of ANHWP people's cell numbers....... I promise I am not bitter I just HATE these people and will do everything in my power to stick it to them
    Last edited by gyromonkey; 03-17-2021 at 07:33 PM.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Quote Originally Posted by gyromonkey View Post
    I can confirm that this is a very true statement, I have had the privilege of dealing with these losers since 2018 and still dealing with the clowns. I won 30 out of 42 items claimed it would have been all of them if I would have met my wife during her first year of ownership, so far the bill to the builder has just been less then 150k just on the exterior they still have issues on all 3 floors inside. I also have worked for builders since 2002 and have been in all the "boys club coffee meeting with ANHWP" its a total joke and run by builders and I did not let them get away with any of the typical games.
    Jeeze, what all went wrong?!
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    1991 Toyota Soarer

long story but it was a combination of errors but they forgot 36'x16" of vapour barrier in my roof allowing all the inside air into a roof that they also forgot roof vents and once we saw water and mould dripping through the walls it opened up a can of worms. the rear roof of our home was installed in correctly along with a beam going across the entire width of our home so all that needed to be ripped out and removed along with mold remediation etc etc etc

fun times with all while having a new born and because its taken so long a second one. plus 4 rescue dog but they did offer 150 a day for a hotel for a whole 10 days then we stayed with in-laws and because of that they chose not to pay for those 10 days.

I have photos and emails and even all my interactions recored on video & audio and I work for a builder as a site super and months away from becoming a Safety Codes Officer in the building discipline and I am still pulling my hair out because its such a rigged system. Even if you're right and can prove it they have a bunch of hidden clauses and time speculations. really the only way is to to get a lawyer but by the time you fight them you will pay 20k in lawyer fee's to fix a 20k problem and they know this so they just drag it out. I have lost a lot of faith in my industry because of this interaction to be honest

It makes me want to start a company that all they do is help people with this stuff just so I can stick it to all these shady mandatory providers

Quote Originally Posted by schurchill39 View Post
    Jeeze, what all went wrong?!
    Last edited by gyromonkey; 03-18-2021 at 06:44 AM.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Which builder was this out of curiosity?

We're building now and the only thing that keeps me at ease is that I've talked to several owners in the community who've had homes for a few years and everyone is quite happy. On top of that we bought in phase 5 out of 13 phases so the builder is still going to be in the community for years thankfully.

My Ride
    1991 Toyota Soarer

I cant really say as we are still dealing with them and their lawyers but PM me who your building though and I will let you know if its the same one.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

ANHW is a joke. You absolutely want to try to get it resolved through your builder first. It also probably does nothing for relations with the builder if you file a dispute.

My Ride
    1991 Toyota Soarer

Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    ANHW is a joke. You absolutely want to try to get it resolved through your builder first. It also probably does nothing for relations with the builder if you file a dispute.
    I would agree if you have a good relationship with your builder try and deal with them first. Sadly we did not due them making numerous errors during the build and then dragging their feet to correct the items and others not completing at all. when my wife approached the builder the president told her via email and I quote " we did not make an error, and if you think we did F*&King sue us". so I would say we did not have that option. I am sure they are regretting that now as they did not know what I do for a living. The company actually offered me a job in 2010 that I turned down, thankfully.

The company I Currently work for is very good to their customers and I have a lot of leeway to do what is right, but I absolutely tell all my customers to fill out the Insurance provider info with the provider as soon as they move in "just in case", and if the company is failing them, to reach out to me and if I can't fix things file a claim the worst they will do is deny your claim but if you do it within the first year its recorded and if it gets worse like a envelope or structural issue you have more options. All of these companies thrive on warranty expiration dates even one day after it expired you are screwed. The items on our claim that got denied said " installed incorrectly or does not meet code, builder should rectify " but since we had passed the one year workmanship and materials they were not bound to. I Believe 2016 they mandated the mandatory warranty which makes things a little bit easier for the homeowners.

Once this is all passed I will for sure post a tread about it, just so none of you go through this.
    Last edited by gyromonkey; 03-18-2021 at 08:01 PM.