Quantcast
94 Octane Gas - Where? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 94 Octane Gas - Where?

So anyone specifically tuned on Husky 94, what are you running or going to be running? I have tried on Shell 91 and it runs poorly on it, wondering if the PetroCan 94 comparable to Husky since it has ethanol, or retune?

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

Quote Originally Posted by bspot View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don’t know if it’s because of heat issues, but I knock on Shell 91 and have zero knock on Husky 94.
    Same with me on my 135i. It wasn't crazy amount of knock, but still there. I'll need to get the tune updated for Shell 91 it looks like. FML

My Ride
    08 Forester XT

My tuner has tested and doesn't recommend Petro94.. Their results for Chevron weren't consistent, so I guess I'll stick with Shell91.
    Already flashed the 91oct OTS map on my winter beater :'( And just go E85 for the summer car?

The theory I have read is that (generally speaking on 'stock' vehicles) higher octane with a bit of Ethanol (eg. Husky 94) is usually better than lower octane with no ethanol (eg. Shell 91) because the reduced knock from the higher octane value allows for more performance than you are losing due to the less efficient combustion from the ethanol. Is that true or is that just a common misconception?

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    The theory I have read is that (generally speaking on 'stock' vehicles) higher octane with a bit of Ethanol (eg. Husky 94) is usually better than lower octane with no ethanol (eg. Shell 91) because the reduced knock from the higher octane value allows for more performance than you are losing due to the less efficient combustion from the ethanol. Is that true or is that just a common misconception?
    If you read below, it seems like a few people are reporting Shell 91 gave them less knocking than any alleged 94, ethanol, or not.

*I'd just like to add that while V-Power is ethanol free in this market, that's not a guarantee elsewhere. The Scotford refinery doesn't supply fuel to all stations in all of Western Canada.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

You would be pretty hard pressed to find a stock vehicle that would actually knock on Shell 91 at Calgary’s altitude.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Generally, yes. There are other variables too. Ethanol is something like 40% less energy content than straight gasoline, so there's a bit of a power loss there, so 4% in a E10 10% ethanol fuel. Then there's the tuning, the stoichiometric ratio for ethanol is very different than gasoline, 14.7:1 for gas and 9:1 for ethanol IIRC so your stoich shifts richer as you have more ethanol, so you need to tune for that to get optimal power. The reason why ethanol blended fuels are better for FI applications is cooling, so in effect it's almost higher knock resistance thx to cooling the mixture than the 94 rating suggests. That's what made Husky 94 so damn good for FI applications if you're tuning specifically for it. Bad for fuel economy but awesome for outright power. It's a terrible fuel for NA cars (at our elevation), or stock tuned cars.

Shell 91 is good in a different way because I genuinely felt that it's higher than it's rating compared to other 91's I've tested back then. I could run higher boost, more aggressive timing than anything else. It's been over a decade since I've been in the game, so things might've changed since then.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Generally, yes. There are other variables too. Ethanol is something like 40% less energy content than straight gasoline, so there's a bit of a power loss there, so 4% in a E10 10% ethanol fuel. Then there's the tuning, the stoichiometric ratio for ethanol is very different than gasoline, 14.7:1 for gas and 9:1 for ethanol IIRC so your stoich shifts richer as you have more ethanol, so you need to tune for that to get optimal power. The reason why ethanol blended fuels are better for FI applications is cooling, so in effect it's almost higher knock resistance thx to cooling the mixture than the 94 rating suggests. That's what made Husky 94 so damn good for FI applications if you're tuning specifically for it. Bad for fuel economy but awesome for outright power. It's a terrible fuel for NA cars (at our elevation), or stock tuned cars.

Shell 91 is good in a different way because I genuinely felt that it's higher than it's rating compared to other 91's I've tested back then. I could run higher boost, more aggressive timing than anything else. It's been over a decade since I've been in the game, so things might've changed since then.
    Thanks, that makes sense. Sounds like 94 is still the way to go for FI cars unless you have the benefit of testing multiple tunes.

Quote Originally Posted by SpdDmn268 View Post
    My tuner has tested and doesn't recommend Petro94.. Their results for Chevron weren't consistent, so I guess I'll stick with Shell91.
    Already flashed the 91oct OTS map on my winter beater :'( And just go E85 for the summer car?
    Did your tuner specifically say why they did not recommend Petro94?

Is Husky 94 completely gone? My summer car is tuned for it so I haven't been to a Husky since last year. I know that some stations stopped carrying it but other stations still had it, or at least did when I filled up at those locations last fall (Deer Ridge and Macleod & 42nd Ave).
    Last edited by Xamim; 03-08-2021 at 04:16 PM.

My Ride
    08 Forester XT

Quote Originally Posted by Orbie View Post
    Did your tuner specifically say why they did not recommend Petro94?
    Lots of knock (not my car/tune specifically, across all his tunes and testing)
    Weird that Petro94 in Ontario is the go-to.

Xamim
    Is Husky 94 completely gone? My summer car is tuned for it so I haven't been to a Husky since last year. I know that some stations stopped carrying it but other stations still had it, or at least did when I filled up at those locations last fall (Deer Ridge and Macleod & 42nd Ave).
    Deer Ridge had switched when I was there Saturday

Quote Originally Posted by SpdDmn268 View Post
    Lots of knock (not my car/tune specifically, across all his tunes and testing)
    Weird that Petro94 in Ontario is the go-to.

Deer Ridge had switched when I was there Saturday
    Well then... Guess I'll have to get in touch with Sunny and see what he recommends now.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Thread weirdness test.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Fixed it.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    B8.5 S4

Has anyone logged Mohawk 91 yet?

My Ride
    a wrx.

I've switched to Shell 91 and set the octane on my EPL adjustable tune down to 91. 3.24 pulley ratio. Car still runs well but I haven't logged yet. One thing I did notice is a massive gain in fuel economy - I averaged 7.4L/100km highway driving this weekend.

Husky decided to realign our fuel grade slate with the rest of the market and what is available from the refineries that supply our fuel. We apologize for the inconvenience but unfortunately, octane 94 will no longer be available at Husky stations.
    Got this as a reply from Husky customer service.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by Xamim View Post
    Got this as a reply from Husky customer service.
    Thanks for digging that up.
    I can't wait to see my friend lose her mind this summer trying to fill her Huracan! RoFL!!
    You know how even smart people do stupid things? This is one of those things. Crazy smart. Chemical engineer with career in hydrocarbons processing. Has forgotten more about combustion than most will ever learn.
    Vehemently insists on Husky-94 for Lambo...

Oh gawd, I'm doing the pee-pee dance thinking about how to tell her!!
    I am so excite!!

~~
    Last edited by faiz999; 03-10-2021 at 02:33 PM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    Thanks for digging that up.
    I can't wait to see my friend lose her mind this summer trying to fill her Huracan! RoFL!!
    You know how even smart people do stupid things? This is one of those things. Crazy smart. Chemical engineer with career in hydrocarbons processing. Has forgotten more about combustion than most will ever learn.
    Vehemently insists on Husky-94 for Lambo...

Oh gawd, I'm doing the pee-pee dance thinking about how to tell her!!
    I am so excite!!
    You can buy her a barrel of ethanol for Christmas.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast