Quantcast
Ottawa is considering vaccine passports - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Ottawa is considering vaccine passports

My Ride
    Bicycle

It's not the Liberals but G7 countries.

I am not sure why anyone is surprised. A dozen or more companies including IATA all has been looking into a system ever since COVID19 started.

And many countries already require certain vaccine before entry.

The question how far reaching this will be to verify someone indeed got vaccinated and how to ban people beyond border agents (theatres, concerts) to use this system to discriminate.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 03-09-2021 at 12:26 AM.

My Ride
    Nissan x2

That other thread shows only 70% are willing to get vaccinated. Those aren’t good numbers if you are wanting to implement this type of thing. Once the initial rush of boomers and general population are over you’ll see a steady decline in people wanting it. I’m willing to bet that we won’t get 80% of the population vaccinated and this creates a problem for passports. Be prepared to stay in the country for a few years.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Maybe I'm being deliberately obtuse here, but once the vaccine is available to everyone (All vulnerable populations, healthcare workers, frontline workers, public sector workers, unemployed workers, and filthy dirty capitalists), if a small group choses not to get the vaccine, who does a vaccine passport protect? I mean, it could be used to punish anti-vaxxers, which might be fun, but I can't see how it protects anyone except for the short period where there is a shortage. And in that short period, why punish individuals for governments not providing sufficient supply?

Unless we want to do like the super bowl and let certain groups "jump the queue" on unrestricted leisure travel, I guess. Like a reward?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Maybe I'm being deliberately obtuse here, but once the vaccine is available to everyone (All vulnerable populations, healthcare workers, frontline workers, public sector workers, unemployed workers, and filthy dirty capitalists), if a small group choses not to get the vaccine, who does a vaccine passport protect? I mean, it could be used to punish anti-vaxxers, which might be fun, but I can't see how it protects anyone except for the short period where there is a shortage. And in that short period, why punish individuals for governments not providing sufficient supply?

Unless we want to do like the super bowl and let certain groups "jump the queue" on unrestricted leisure travel, I guess. Like a reward?
    Mr Coupe wants to be special and go on vacation, but he wants to make sure other people can’t.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    changes every year

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    How do you figure that the vaccine does fuck all? Is a 90% reduction in severe disease and almost 100% reduction in death not good enough? All the top people were willing to push these things if they were even half as good as they turned out to be.
    Where did you hear 90% reduction? That isn't a fact stated anywhere. The fact of the matter is, they don't know if you can or can't get covid again after the vaccine.

To me, that opens a can of worms on what the vaccine can or can't do. I'm not an anti vaxxer and I'm not anti covid Vax, but its only just been rolled out and there are 0 facts right now.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Mr Coupe wants to be special and go on vacation, but he wants to make sure other people can’t.
    I was hoping that wasn't it.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by 03ozwhip View Post
    Where did you hear 90% reduction? That isn't a fact stated anywhere. The fact of the matter is, they don't know if you can or can't get covid again after the vaccine.

To me, that opens a can of worms on what the vaccine can or can't do. I'm not an anti vaxxer and I'm not anti covid Vax, but its only just been rolled out and there are 0 facts right now.
    That makes it sounds like you believe the vaccine is a vial of distilled water.

My Ride
    changes every year

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    That makes it sounds like you believe the vaccine is a vial of distilled water.
    In some ways sure lol I got a bit of a tin foil hat on ill admit.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Us normies will have plenty of time to decide. And plenty of information will be coming out in the next few months. If you are unsure, that's a natural reaction to being low risk.

My Ride
    changes every year

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Us normies will have plenty of time to decide. And plenty of information will be coming out in the next few months. If you are unsure, that's a natural reaction to being low risk.
    Like I said, facts aren't all there so you're exactly right. I have time to decide if I'll get it or not. But I want to travel, so...

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Like I said, facts aren't all there so you're exactly right. I have time to decide if I'll get it or not. But I want to travel, so...
    My opinion is I won't have to make that kind of choice for a couple months at minimum. I think you are in the same boat. Chillax for a while bro.

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    How do you figure that the vaccine does fuck all? Is a 90% reduction in severe disease and almost 100% reduction in death not good enough? All the top people were willing to push these things if they were even half as good as they turned out to be.
    He did "research".
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

Lots of articles out there but here’s one example
    https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.usat...amp/6709455002
    No death or serious illness in 7 trials
    We do not vaccinate to prevent a minor case of the sniffles. The reason we have vaccines is to prevent severe disease and death caused by infections. The polio vaccine prevents paralysis. The measles vaccine prevents pneumonia, brain infections and blindness. Annual influenza vaccines prevent pneumonia, sepsis and heart attacks. If COVID-19 only caused a cold, we would not have bothered to develop vaccines for it. While there are many mild cases of COVID-19, about a fifth of infections result in severe disease, and nearly 1% of infected people die. For older people and those with underlying health problems, the risk of death can be anywhere from 10 to several hundred times higher.

All seven COVID-19 vaccines that have completed large efficacy trials — Pfizer, Moderna, Johnson & Johnson, Novavax, AstraZeneca, Sputnik V and Sinovac — appear to be 100% effective for serious complications. Not one vaccinated person has gotten sick enough to require hospitalization. Not a single vaccinated person has died of COVID-19.
    This was just after the trials. Now that they are actively out there the real world results are not 100% (as expected).

Anyways the main point is that your conclusion that they are appearing to do sweet fuck all is entirely wrong. They help a lot especially vulnerable people and that’s the primary goal here.

My Ride
    V8s

You're missing the point. We already know a person can get covid even with the vax, it just has less probability of killing or hospitalizing them.

Sure, we don't know if it's 69% effective or 92% effective, but that's not remotely the same as being 0% effective (i.e. doing almost fuck all). Get real

My Ride
    Toyota Christopher Lambert

This global news short piece gives a brief overview of the vaccines, efficacy, factors, etc

https://youtu.be/pGDuifKc0EY

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by jutes View Post
    I’m willing to bet that we won’t get 80% of the population vaccinated and this creates a problem for passports. Be prepared to stay in the country for a few years.
    Is this a catch 22? If we don't get herd immunity thru sufficient participation thru vaccine, the more likely we need a vaccine passport to keep the unvaccinated out of this country or foreigners will bring a world of hurt to our economy and medical systems?

This is just another lever for countries to deny entry, but not prevent their own citizens from traveling.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

The way that getting it has been going and the fact that it sounds like it does almost fuck all, boggles my mind at the fact so many people are lining up for it.
    So far I have heard no conflicting reports against the manufacturer claimed protection levels?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    So far I have heard no conflicting reports against the manufacturer claimed protection levels?
    Only from Russian and Chinese "media" trying to fan the FUD and buy times and market for their vaccines. As the developed countries vaccination winds down in a few months and extra dosage starts to distribute to the rest of the world.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 03-09-2021 at 12:37 PM.

I bet a buddy this would happen by end of this year lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket1k78 View Post
    I bet a buddy this would happen by end of this year lol
    I hope the bet was a case of Corona (beer)

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast