Quantcast
single-function phone apps - opinions - ExtraSlow ramblings - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: single-function phone apps - opinions - ExtraSlow ramblings

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Default single-function phone apps - opinions - ExtraSlow ramblings

Was thinking to myself today, as I started my parking session downtown using the text-to-park option, that there's an app for that. But you know, I don't think opening an app is faster, or better, than texting. Then I was thinking about other apps that I kind of hate to have on my phone, and mostly, I think it's apps that have a single function, or ones that would be used once or twice per year.
    Seems like all the hotel chains have their own app, nah.
    Sportsnet has an app, but I'd prefer to use their website.

So, old many yelling at clouds, or what do you guys think?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    *The First*

If their mobile site is functional, I'm not getting their app.

Words to live by for this old many cloud yeller.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Mo' apps, mo' problems.

If I don't use it at least once a month, I delete it. If I need it again, I download it, use it, then delete it a week later.

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    Mo' apps, mo' problems.

If I don't use it at least once a month, I delete it. If I need it again, I download it, use it, then delete it a week later.
    This

Personally I prefer apps compared to mobile website/text options in most cases. Even if i rarely use it (i.e. every airline's app), they are filed in my Travel folder and i never see them so it doesn't bother me. Pretty sure the phone also offloads unused apps and downloads them when you need to use it to save space, so there's no need to manually delete them and reinstall them as it does it automatically.

I don't want to turn this into yet another Apple vs Google thread, but i feel like Apple's stringent rules helps to make sure that apps function really well as opposed to Android where it's a free for all and every app developer does their own thing i.e. different look and feel across apps, back button / menus different for each app, etc. I can totally see how inconsistent design can trigger people's OCD and make you lean away from using apps even subconsciously.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I will say, when travelling, the United App is very good, and in the case of flight delays, cancellations etc, rebooking through the app is amazing compared to the other options. That's saved my ass a few times when thunderstorms in the Houston/Denver/OKC triangle are fucking things up.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

I'm a cheap mofo and have every fast food app for the coupons.
    Some apps are also good at notifying me of good deals relevant to me; marketing is on point.

I've deleted airline apps and will redownload them for specific trips, then remove them later since I'm a rare traveler even in good times.

Some apps like Uber though are a PITA to log back into after reinstall so it's a gray zone of whether they get deleted when not in use.

My Ride
    ute

Hotel apps are actually pretty useful. The Marriott one allows you to do a lot of stuff that otherwise would be a pain.

When I left the house, that is.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
    I'm a cheap mofo and have every fast food app for the coupons.
    Some apps are also good at notifying me of good deals relevant to me; marketing is on point.

It's only good marketing if they derailed you from eating at home, or a different restaurant. I always check for deals, but only after I've decided where I want to go.

I downloaded Ubereats two months ago to try and get OEB for a hangover Sunday, but they weren't delivering for them. I still haven't deleted the app because every week they send a push notification telling me about a "free" $30 meal on my first order. Every week I look at the restaurants, and it's a big "meh". Most of my favorite places have their own delivery, or are close enough I don't need delivery.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I prefer single function apps over website, even the Calgary Parking app, which really just opens up their mobile site. It's basically glorified bookmark and better organization for quick access on the home screen.

I do like Apple's Home and TV app, as it's trying to allow a single place access for all the other IoT and streaming apps in 1 place. TV isn't perfect at it yet, but it's getting better. Hide all the apps and just rely on those 2 to access 10+ separate apps.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    Mo' apps, mo' problems.

Is this to clear up space? Thought all phones does this automatically anyways to manage space.

Anything I don't use often, you're on page 2. Phone automatically uninstalls apps (but keep settings) as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I will say, when travelling, the United App is very good, and in the case of flight delays, cancellations etc, rebooking through the app is amazing compared to the other options. That's saved my ass a few times when thunderstorms in the Houston/Denver/OKC triangle are fucking things up.
    AC app as well. Upgrades, rebooking, and just keep watching to see how many spots free for upgrade to see if you are the chosen one.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Hotel apps are actually pretty useful. The Marriott one allows you to do a lot of stuff that otherwise would be a pain.

When I left the house, that is.
    Agreed, being able to check-in and pick out your room is nice if you have status.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

I dont mind single apps, I just keep everything in folders. Like 'food' folder has all the delivery services, pizza places, starbucks, mcdonalds, etc shit in it. I don't mind having it all there because it also shows options when I open it and sometimes changes what I'm feeling. Same with 'home' has all the automation stuff, roku, router, netflix, garbage/recycle, 311, etc. It's annoying wasting space on the phone itself but it doesn't bother me too much so long as I keep it organized.

I particularly like any app where I can put my loyalty card on it and use it digitally like Scene card.

What I do hate is how many fucking social networking and communication apps there are and every group or resource seems to use different ones. Snapchat, FB, Insta, Twitter, Tik tok, discord, groupme, slack, whatsapp, zoom, skype, reddit, twitch, etc. That's the painful part.

If I had an aversion to apps, it would be because their sole purpose is to gather your data. A proper mobile site will function just as well from my experience. Companies are incentivized to have a shitty mobile.web experience in order to get you to use their app.

What really bothers me is when an app constantly communicates with a server for all sorts of stupid shit that should just be in an app. I find a lot of mobile sites work better/faster than their accompanying apps because the app isn't optimized worth a shit.

My hip-hop airhorn is invaluable, so clearly I don't mind *wha wha wha whaaaaaaaaaaa*

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Is this to clear up space? Thought all phones does this automatically anyways to manage space.

I have no idea, but I do it mostly out of privacy concerns. No app means no app permissions, without having to fuck around with privacy settings.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

I only keep apps I use on my phone and only the apps I use often on my main screen and they're all categorized. This has more to do with the fact that I'm a neat freak than storage hog. It drives me bonkers when I'm with someone and they're looking for an app and flipping through pages and pages of screens.

I also turn off almost all notifications except for my calendar and communication apps just cause I hate the nagging.

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    I particularly like any app where I can put my loyalty card on it and use it digitally like Scene card.
    Stocard. You can store all your loyalty/reward cards on there.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

I don't mind apps.

I hate apps that don't have keychain integration. Those get deleted right away.