Quantcast
Advice on possibly purchasing a MB GLK250 Bluetec - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on possibly purchasing a MB GLK250 Bluetec

My Ride
    Edge

Default Advice on possibly purchasing a MB GLK250 Bluetec

So, it is time to replace our 2011 9-3 and a client of my wife offered to sell us a 2015 GLK250 that he bought for his daughter but she didn't want. It has 96k km and seems to be loaded.
    There is a tear in one of the seats and a small rust spot starting on the bottom of the tailgate (my wife has pics, I can post if needed). I haven't looked at it but my wife has, along with a guy she is working with who had looked at them in the past and said it would be a great buy.

Anyway, I have no experience with MB and never thought I would even consider purchasing one. It's just a lot of vehicle for the money. I also have no experience with diesel. The reviews on the GLK250 are mixed but generally quite favourable. And, a baller I am not, so repair costs concern me a bit, although I think Raybern (where I take my 9-3) does MB as well.

I would appreciate any advice on owning a MB, especially a diesel, or just diesel in general.

Thanks!

Are you deadset on getting the diesel??...because I know for a fact that the GLK350 is one of the most reliable vehicles MB has ever made in history (I owned a 2010 with 230,000km on it did a lot of research before buying it).

My Ride
    *The First*

An amazing thing happens to a car when you remove: the spark plugs, the coils, the leads, and everything else to do with the ignition system... It starts!

Go diesel.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

For a GLK, I'd ask them if the Adblue system has had their Adblue Heater and/or Adblue injection nozzle replaced as this would be a big bill your not ready for. But otherwise, thats all I can think of thats common failures
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Ive been keeping a eye on these too. They seem a lot of car for the money. The consensus on diesels are generally more reliable. I am curious how they fare in this cold climate and what the servicing costs are.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

I love diesel but the SCR systems are always a risk on a used vehicle.

My Ride
    Edge

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyHockey13 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are you deadset on getting the diesel??...because I know for a fact that the GLK350 is one of the most reliable vehicles MB has ever made in history (I owned a 2010 with 230,000km on it did a lot of research before buying it).
    I'm not deadset on getting a Mercedes, never mind a GLK. This just happens to be a really good deal, although I do like that it gets 27-28 mpg combined. If I don't get this particular vehicle, I won't be looking at any other MB.

Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    For a GLK, I'd ask them if the Adblue system has had their Adblue Heater and/or Adblue injection nozzle replaced as this would be a big bill your not ready for. But otherwise, thats all I can think of thats common failures
    That would be good to know then, however, he hasn't owned it long and I don't know if he would know. The original owner was/is one of his employees though, so perhaps he could still find out.

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    Ive been keeping a eye on these too. They seem a lot of car for the money. The consensus on diesels are generally more reliable. I am curious how they fare in this cold climate and what the servicing costs are.
    The answers to those questions are what I am looking for as well. I thought diesels needed to be plugged in all the time in winter, which wouldn't be able to happen where I currently work, although it's a temp job anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    I love diesel but the SCR systems are always a risk on a used vehicle.
    Is this the AdBlue system in this case? It just occurred to me that this may be what the BlueTec refers to.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Yes SCR is the selective catalyst reduction system (exhaust fluid). That crap can crystallize over time and cause issues, it can freeze in extreme cold and cause issues, and there’s tons of sensors and injectors etc related to it.

My Ride
    V167

Diesels have not required plug in for ages. With the right oil, strong battery, it will start in nearly any conditions.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by nismodrifter View Post
    Diesels have not required plug in for ages. With the right oil, strong battery, it will start in nearly any conditions.
    Agree. (For the first few hundred thousand km).

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

yeah, diesels in a "car" like this can be treated same as gasoline engines. The benefit from block heaters or battery chargers in the same conditions.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Chances are it doesn’t have a block heater anyway. My 335d doesn’t.

My Ride
    Edge

Quote Originally Posted by nismodrifter View Post
    Interesting. So, quite the opposite of what I thought. Good to know. Thanks!

At this point then, the main concern is if the Adblue Heater and/or Adblue injection nozzle have been replaced, and the bit of rust.

My wife's business (interior design) is getting busier and she essentially needs an SUV to carry samples around and one that is decently reliable. Anyone want to buy a 2011 9-3 turbo4 XWD with 128k km as a project vehicle? haha

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    Step 1) delete EGR and DPF system, problem solved.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    Step 1) delete EGR and DPF system, problem solved.
    Definitely. But that undermines the whole "I'm getting this car because it's a good deal" goal here. It would cost thousands to do that (it does on BMWs anyways).

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by duaner View Post
    My wife's business (interior design) is getting busier and she essentially needs an SUV to carry samples around and one that is decently reliable. Anyone want to buy a 2011 9-3 turbo4 XWD with 128k km as a project vehicle? haha
    When my wife was doing sales (carrying product around to customers) - we got her a minivan and good winter tires. The thing was brilliant in the city and on the highway, summer or winter. She drove it 400,000km, until the (manual) gearbox intermediate shaft bearing started to go.

An SUV made no sense for her as the sliding doors were the winners - esp in our garage and in parking lots around the city. The extra maintenance cost and fuel consumption also fared negatively - as she got a flat rate for mileage.

Unless the MB vehicle is a steal compared to the used market (like saving 30% off asking) I would not bother - as it comes with too many questions for this purpose.
    Last edited by revelations; 03-11-2021 at 01:53 PM.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    Definitely. But that undermines the whole "I'm getting this car because it's a good deal" goal here. It would cost thousands to do that (it does on BMWs anyways).
    I suppose. I often forget that most people on a car forum don't turn their own wrenches. Delete would still be cheaper than repair though (or close to it).

What is the price? At first glance there doesn't seem much to get excited about, it's ~6 years old, relatively high KM, is somehow already rusting after a short time (likely insight into how it was cared for), and has a ripped seat. Unless it's priced well below market I'm not sure I see the appeal.

My Ride
    Edge

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    What is the price? At first glance there doesn't seem much to get excited about, it's ~6 years old, relatively high KM, is somehow already rusting after a short time (likely insight into how it was cared for), and has a ripped seat. Unless it's priced well below market I'm not sure I see the appeal.
    Yeah, there is some concern for how it was cared for. High km? 96k on a 6 year-old vehicle is pretty decent (16k km/year). He's offered to sell it to us for $19,200. I'm fairly certain he could get at least $24k. His one condition is that we don't just turn around and sell it for profit. I hate selling and buying vehicles, so that won't be an issue. haha

I just looked on AutoTrader and Lone Star has the same year and model, with 89k km, for $29,900. Of course, that would depend on condition and options/packages.

My Ride
    Edge

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    When my wife was doing sales (carrying product around to customers) - we got her a minivan and good winter tires. The thing was brilliant in the city and on the highway, summer or winter. She drove it 400,000km, until the (manual) gearbox intermediate shaft bearing started to go.

An SUV made no sense for her as the sliding doors were the winners - esp in our garage and in parking lots around the city. The extra maintenance cost and fuel consumption also fared negatively - as she got a flat rate for mileage.

Unless the MB vehicle is a steal compared to the used market (like saving 30% off asking) I would not bother - as it comes with too many questions for this purpose.
    There is simply no way my wife will drive a minivan, and I would rather not as well. haha As it is her company, she wants to have a vehicle that gives the appearance of being successful and good at what she does. In no way does this need to be a luxury vehicle, but for these purposes, SUV>minivan. If you hired an interior designer, do you think it would matter what vehicle they pulled up to your house in and whether or not it made them look successful?

I would rather get a decent, average SUV, but for the equivalent price, there are CX-5 GS's and such. A lot less vehicle for the same money, often higher mileage as well.

Perhaps if I need to ask all these questions, I should stay away from MB...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast