Quantcast
Rogers to buy Shaw - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Rogers to buy Shaw

I tried buying Rogers NHL package one year only to find that almost every game I wanted to watch was unavailable, defeating the point. Is that still the same or can you actually watch all the games now? They're competing with dozens of free services that have every game available, so you'd think if people are trying to do the right thing and pay, they would make every game available to watch.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    NFL is largely NOT available in 4K.

https://www.techhive.com/article/360...this-year.html

Hockey is available very selectively, and I think basketball is fairly available.

Shaw does not offer any 4k programming no matter what BS they are slinging this week.
    NBA is largely like NHL, very sporadic coverage of games in 4K, broadcast on very small number of 4K sports channels. Here in Calgary, those channels are only available through Telus FTTH customers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    I tried buying Rogers NHL package one year only to find that almost every game I wanted to watch was unavailable, defeating the point. Is that still the same or can you actually watch all the games now? They're competing with dozens of free services that have every game available, so you'd think if people are trying to do the right thing and pay, they would make every game available to watch.
    This is a blackout problem. Sports leagues sells both national and regional rights, and it's to protect the regional rights holders so that you're paying them to watch your local team play. That's the case today, and will be the case until someone wants to pay for the whole broadcast rights Canada wide. If your team is local, you're expected to sub to regional broadcasters. If your team is not local, you sub to the NHL package and only miss games when your team plays a local team. A VPN or DNS service easily bypasses it, making the NHL package actually usable.

I'd sub to sportsnet instead for NHL if it wasn't for their shitty streaming and app quality. NHL's app and every game in 60fps is a no brainer. That any my kids aren't really flames fans, Tampa Bay and Philly, so buying sportsnet would get them nothing. The NHL app also lets you watch multiple games at once. It's awesome.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

Sportsnet Now+ gets around that problem I think, there's still stupid blackout restrictions though. They have a chart somewhere on that site.

Personally I use lazyman or NHL Games.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    NBA is largely like NHL, very sporadic coverage of games in 4K, broadcast on very small number of 4K sports channels. Here in Calgary, those channels are only available through Telus FTTH customers.

This is a blackout problem. Sports leagues sells both national and regional rights, and it's to protect the regional rights holders so that you're paying them to watch your local team play. That's the case today, and will be the case until someone wants to pay for the whole broadcast rights Canada wide. If your team is local, you're expected to sub to regional broadcasters. If your team is not local, you sub to the NHL package and only miss games when your team plays a local team. A VPN or DNS service easily bypasses it, making the NHL package actually usable.

I'd sub to sportsnet instead for NHL if it wasn't for their shitty streaming and app quality. NHL's app and every game in 60fps is a no brainer. That any my kids aren't really flames fans, Tampa Bay and Philly, so buying sportsnet would get them nothing. The NHL app also lets you watch multiple games at once. It's awesome.
    Thanks for the explanation. Sounds like you need two separate paid subscriptions if you want to have access to every game.

My Ride
    95B

Thanks for the explanation. Sounds like you need two separate paid subscriptions if you want to have access to every game.
    NHL Center Ice will open up the Out of market team games and the Sports package (TSN and Sports Net ) to get all games. - Yes you need two subscriptions.

I wsh you could just pick and pay what games you want to watch on NHL CI.
    Last edited by ganesh; 03-15-2021 at 01:30 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Correct. That's exactly what they want you to do, pay your regional (Sportsnet) for their coverage, then pay national (Rogers) for their coverage.

Or just watch NHL from Germany haha.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

If you get all the regions of sportsnet, then you'd get all the Canadian games at least. Sportsnet has a 4K channel that shows hockey, but I don't think all the game son that channel are real 4K.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Leafs and flames are available pretty regularly in 4k between SN and TSN

https://www.tsn.ca/tsn-4k-broadcast-schedule-1.900579

https://www.ontvtonight.com/ca/guide...rtsnet-4k.html

No need to debate, the 4k sports schedules are easily found. Looks like MLB is sneaking in there too but I dgaf about it so I can’t comment on if it’s actually shot 4k.
    Last edited by killramos; 03-15-2021 at 01:41 PM.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    95B

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    If you get all the regions of sportsnet, then you'd get all the Canadian games at least. Sportsnet has a 4K channel that shows hockey, but I don't think all the game son that channel are real 4K.
    Not true. I have blackouts on handful of Leafs games. This is why I have the NHL CI

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Fuck rogers

Let's be honest, Shaw is the same shit in a different pile. Ever notice how there was only Rogers mobile out here & none of their other offerings? Guess what, the Shaw's and Roger's had backdoor deals to carve up English speaking Canada since the 80s/90s...

I feel sorry for the all the Shaw employees though - Jobs only get cut in mergers due to redundancy. Don't even get me started on the cellular competition aspect - Will Arnett won't be trash talking the ROBELUS suits anymore, lol.
    Originally posted by killramos
    It's a Chrysler, it won't last long enough to depreciate.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by ganesh View Post
    Not true. I have blackouts on handful of Leafs games. This is why I have the NHL CI
    Never looked for the leafs. That happens even with Sportsnet Ontario? Surprised.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

I heard it was $26 Billys.
    Cocoa $11,000 per ton.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Pauly Boy View Post
    Will Arnett won't be trash talking the ROBELUS suits anymore, lol.
    Or may be he will become Roger's spokeman. Much like the animals Telus adopted from Clearnet.

But I guess with Rogers/Shaw/Fido/Freedom/Charter, the Shaw and Freedom brands are probably going to be wind down unless CRTC cockblock that in some way.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by Pauly Boy View Post
    Let's be honest, Shaw is the same shit in a different pile. Ever notice how there was only Rogers mobile out here & none of their other offerings? Guess what, the Shaw's and Roger's had backdoor deals to carve up English speaking Canada since the 80s/90s...

I feel sorry for the all the Shaw employees though - Jobs only get cut in mergers due to redundancy. Don't even get me started on the cellular competition aspect - Will Arnett won't be trash talking the ROBELUS suits anymore, lol.
    I disagree on the mobile side. Freedom would put up some crazy deals then the other carriers would have to scramble to get something similar to at least compete. Almost all my koodo plan upgrades were shortly after Freedom rolled out a new deal.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

And yet you didn’t support freedom by using them?
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    I disagree on the mobile side. Freedom would put up some crazy deals then the other carriers would have to scramble to get something similar to at least compete. Almost all my koodo plan upgrades were shortly after Freedom rolled out a new deal.
    Remember how Rogers killed Fido by buying it out when it was offering too good of a deal at that time? This feels like deja vu.

I have been on the f the big 3 train since 2011 on Wind/Freedom, it's sad that if I wind up to be a Rogers customers again after a decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Remember how Rogers killed Fido by buying it out when it was offering too good of a deal at that time? This feels like deja vu.

I have been on the f the big 3 train since 2011 on Wind/Freedom, it's sad that if I wind up to be a Rogers customers again after a decade.
    Companies don't get "bought out". They get sold. Fido wanted to be sold. It's not like Rogers bought Fido off the shelf at Walmart.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Does JK truly believe that Rogers is not going to layoff anyone in this merger and create new jobs?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    Does JK truly believe that Rogers is not going to layoff anyone in this merger and create new jobs?
    Is that what he said? If so, it time to test out that new recall legislation. lol.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast