Quantcast
Petition: CBE is looking to rezone and remove programs - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Petition: CBE is looking to rezone and remove programs

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I went to QE for HS, the vast vast vast majority of students in the Gate program were just kids with over involved booster parents who pushed and pushed and pushed until the school let their snowflakes be called gifted.
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    That's what I've heard and it upsets me. Although, not like I'm looking for GATE for either of my kids. Just hoping they both graduate grade 12 and learn to weld.
    My kids are gifted. The oldest is extraordinarily bright. I put her at Westmount because I wanted her to be challenged enough to learn how to learn and study properly. She would finish tests in normal school in minutes. At least now her homework and tests are challenging enough to give her pause. Still, she got 100% in the Math 10 final taking it a year early.

My youngest prefers regular school, but she occasionally complains how slow classes are and why on the earth does the teacher have to explain everything multiple times. But some things still challenge her and so I'm not too worried.

I think the middle school years are the most important, if they don't learn proper study skills by then they're fuked in post-secondary.

By high school things level out a lot more. Lots of my older kid's schoolmates are leaving.

If you see any white kids at these schools, they're gifted because whiteys don't GAF about their kid's education

The current required testing is quite expensive and basically impossible to prep for, as a result enrollment has dropped off somewhat.
    Last edited by suntan; 03-16-2021 at 12:51 PM.

Really informative thread and Petition, would read again 100%.
    NOW if only I could figure out what the hell CBE has against students with irritable bowels.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I think it's the janitors union.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

I took AP back in the day. The main idea being you could skip a year of Uni (and the associated costs) But it never came to fruition, because there was too much backlash on that first year it was introduced. I'm going to chalk it up to a little bit of "White people really really hate it when non-white people start to pull ahead". Yes, Queen Elizabeth HS, and I'm pretty sure you could put Rob Anders into the category of hate.

Even in Canada, greed comes into play - If you sell education, you have to physically keep people paying for as long as possible.

IB was much more fleshed out if you wanted to do post-secondary in the USA or Europe at a top-tier. As an Asian in north america though, if you want to study aerospace, you must be prepared to abandon North America to find a job. If you ask me, NASA is in an irreversable spiral of worthlessness. If you want to synthesize your voice and sing a few songs for a Billy, by all means - USA is the greatest.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milli_...klash,_1989-91
    Last edited by ZenOps; 03-17-2021 at 12:17 PM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    I've never heard of these, but as I'm understanding it, it's a publically funded program to give students a "head start" on University?

I don't see the issue with cutting it, if that's the case. You want your kid to get a leg up on other students, that's what extra-curricular shit is for. Volunteer for actual meaningful things outside the school system.
    It's basically classism within a public system. Like OP's example of using IB as way to escape a less desirable HS.

IE, it's for people with kids with good grades but can't afford to live in Aspen and pay for Webber.

And given the gap of standard schooling vs 1st of uni, IB (if you and hang on), gives you a big of legs up on that transition. But if you are ambitious, you can definitely do extra-curricular to make up that gap.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Quote Originally Posted by ZenOps View Post
    I took AP back in the day. The main idea being you could skip a year of Uni (and the associated costs)[/url]
    We had something similar to this in NZ basically you did a bunch of extra work (with the expectation that you get a certain number of points) and it qualified you to have a better chance to get into certain universities (say for medicine) and also gave you a $200 scholarship to any university. To me it all seemed like a lot of work for almost no reward.

I don't think they were ever relevant for Canadian universities. More relevant to Asian parents than the students. The few IB kids when went to engineering school with me had no advantage.
    I actually think that white parents such as myself probably have the viewpoint that if such and such regular school was good enough for us then it will be good enough for my kids. My wife (asian) wants our kids to do IB though, I personally have no opinion because Im not from Canada however when I went to high school I was in the opinion of less work meant I could play more video games, and then I dropped out of school.
    Last edited by nzwasp; 03-17-2021 at 12:38 PM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I’m pretty sure you will find no shortage of booster parents across all racial groups.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

I’m pretty sure you will find no shortage of booster parents across all racial groups.
    Are "booster" and "delusional" being used interchangeably here?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I would imagine there is substantial overlap

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

I find that Asian parents more often than not don't push the very last part of the equation, the job. They tend to not open doors at the final step because they want the game to be fair.

White parents will push their kids to learn hockey sure, but they will fight tooth and nail for the actual job (to make sure others don't get, just like NASA does). Literal Tonya Harding everyone else, especially anyone "not of their circle" which does pass into racial as well as gender lines. There is no such thing as a female NHL player that makes a million dollars a year (or at least wasn't for most of my lifetime) Black athletes better than whites? Didn't really matter - no go. Asians? Fugettaboutit.

There was a black athlete who I swear had more endurance, body mass, and skill than most hockey players - and yet somehow he never even made it to the minors. Now that the NHL is catching on that people are catching on, they have been running the commercials about "inclusivity in hockey" which was NEVER a thing when I was growing up asian.

It might be a small downfall, but Asians tend to be fair. Its the white males who overestimate their own worth and are psychopathic in making sure noone else even has a chance to look at the entry door, nevermind enter it. NASA I'm looking at you. Banks are particularily bad too, lend a million to a white guy, that you can declare bankruptcy on? No problem. Same situation, but a Chinese dude? I'll lend you $10,000 at double interest. Its probably why Asian americans are so interested in Cryptocurrencies and alternate forms of money - the US dollar is not a valueable asset to try to and keep, if you have that perspective coming in the US dollar is shit if oil is no longer needed.

To Asians, equality or at least equal opportunity is a good thing. No doubt, others do not see it the same way (Tonya Harding being the poster child for modern right wing America) Want to win for sure? Break some legs.

https://fox8.com/news/cheerleaders-m...off-the-squad/ Is especially bad though, when the cheerleading mom is Rob Anders 17 years MP of Canada.

ZenOps - Asian guy who goes to hockey rinks to play Pokemon GO.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 03-17-2021 at 01:55 PM.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Today I Learned: ZenOps is asian

I played hockey with lots of blacks and asians playing with the NE. The best players made the best teams 99% of the time, regardless of race.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    It's basically classism within a public system. Like OP's example of using IB as way to escape a less desirable HS.

IE, it's for people with kids with good grades but can't afford to live in Aspen and pay for Webber.

And given the gap of standard schooling vs 1st of uni, IB (if you and hang on), gives you a big of legs up on that transition. But if you are ambitious, you can definitely do extra-curricular to make up that gap.
    You can go to any high school in the CBE, as long as it has room.

There are no prerequisites to taking AP or IB (other than passing the 20 level courses).

So yeah I'm not sure how you get classism.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Also AP or IB doesn’t mean you are getting a better education, it just means you are expected to learn and be tested on more advanced content.

It’s still wrapped up in the bow of dog shit CBE policies and taught by the same educators.

AP or IB Classes =/= private school for free by literally any stretch of the imagination. AP also only exists for 3 of the arguably least important years of your child’s education (I think IB is similar but I can’t say I’m thoroughly versed in the topic). They only get there after spending 9 years in vanilla CBE learning about gender pronouns and watching the teacher wipe the drool off Timmy-34’s chin when their most valuable years are cemented in mediocrity.
    Last edited by killramos; 03-17-2021 at 05:15 PM.

fact.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Do people in Edmonton hate public school board as much as people here hate CBE? YEG crew chime in.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Do people in Edmonton hate public school board as much as people here hate CBE? YEG crew chime in.
    I've heard their public school system is way better than ours.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    You can go to any high school in the CBE, as long as it has room.

There are no prerequisites to taking AP or IB (other than passing the 20 level courses).

So yeah I'm not sure how you get classism.
    I thought HS is still assigned based on your address?

old info, decades back, if you are in the NW, you go to Fowler if you still need ESL, Diefenbaker for standard and Churchchill or Western for IB.

If thats not the case any more, ignore my comment.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

"White people really really hate it when non-white people start to pull ahead".
    White parents will push their kids to learn hockey sure, but they will fight tooth and nail for the actual job (to make sure others don't get, just like NASA does). Literal Tonya Harding everyone else, especially anyone "not of their circle" which does pass into racial as well as gender lines. There is no such thing as a female NHL player that makes a million dollars a year (or at least wasn't for most of my lifetime) Black athletes better than whites? Didn't really matter - no go. Asians? Fugettaboutit.

There was a black athlete who I swear had more endurance, body mass, and skill than most hockey players - and yet somehow he never even made it to the minors. Now that the NHL is catching on that people are catching on, they have been running the commercials about "inclusivity in hockey" which was NEVER a thing when I was growing up asian.

It might be a small downfall, but Asians tend to be fair. Its the white males who overestimate their own worth and are psychopathic in making sure noone else even has a chance to look at the entry door, nevermind enter it. NASA I'm looking at you. Banks are particularily bad too, lend a million to a white guy, that you can declare bankruptcy on? No problem. Same situation, but a Chinese dude? I'll lend you $10,000 at double interest. Its probably why Asian americans are so interested in Cryptocurrencies and alternate forms of money - the US dollar is not a valueable asset to try to and keep, if you have that perspective coming in the US dollar is shit if oil is no longer needed.

To Asians, equality or at least equal opportunity is a good thing. No doubt, others do not see it the same way (Tonya Harding being the poster child for modern right wing America) Want to win for sure? Break some legs.
    What white man hurt you? You've had a real racist string of posts lately against whitey.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    I thought HS is still assigned based on your address?

old info, decades back, if you are in the NW, you go to Fowler if you still need ESL, Diefenbaker for standard and Churchchill or Western for IB.

If thats not the case any more, ignore my comment.
    It is based on Address. But for example in the new system CBE is proposing all but four schools will offer IB: Western and 3 others. So all the kids in the city can apply to Western for this. If our kids are not smart enough to do Western then they would have to go to Ernest Manning.

One of the problems in Calgary is the distribution of suburbs doesnt match up with the current high schools. For example about 2 years ago all kids west of crowchild and south of 16th ave nw were eligible to go to Ernest Manning which is currently at 140% of its limit. Now the city has said from next year all the suburbs from Crowchild to Sarcee and some select ones west of that like Discovery Ridge have to go to Central Memorial. In the new survey they have determined that still isnt good enough, so they are also proposing that Cougar Ridge, Patterson Heights and Coach Hill be sent to Bowness High School. And all these efforts will still mean ES will be at 100% in 9 years time.

If anyone is interested here is the current and future proposed scenarios:

https://cbe.ab.ca/get-involved/publi...view-final.pdf
    Last edited by nzwasp; 03-18-2021 at 08:29 AM.

My Ride
    Silverado

Quote Originally Posted by schurchill39 View Post
    What white man hurt you? You've had a real racist string of posts lately against whitey.
    Yea he's super racist

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by schurchill39 View Post
    Must have spent time in CCP Re-education camp during his hiatus from Beyond.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast