Quantcast
Petition: CBE is looking to rezone and remove programs - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Petition: CBE is looking to rezone and remove programs

Default Petition: CBE is looking to rezone and remove programs

Hello,

To keep a long story short....the CBE is looking to rezone + remove certain programming throughout the city. The IB program being one of them...either Pearson or Dief will lose the program in the current structure which will be detrimental to many families.

There has been an online petition created to keep all IB programs in tact.

Should only take 1 minute to fill out!!

https://www.change.org/p/calgary-boa...share_petition

Thanks in advance!!

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

CBE is cutting popular programs as a way of making provincial government look bad. It's an ideological war, and students are the victims.
    They are cutting the art-based high school program as well. It has previously been very popular.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

My wife is also concerned by this because she wants our kids to do IB at western which would keep its IB program, however if you drop out of IB they kick you out of the school, I dont know if that is the current system.

Hopefully AB doesnt get the idea from Manitoba that they could just fire all the public school boards and reorganize how they see fit.

I signed it.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Is IB or AP even relevant today? Most colleges and universities are all about maximizing revenue more than ever, and will pretty much admit as many students as possible anyways, except maybe Ivy League schools. Do any universities in Canada even GAF if you have either?
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Is IB or AP even relevant today? Most colleges and universities are all about maximizing revenue more than ever, and will pretty much admit as many students as possible anyways, except maybe Ivy League schools. Do any universities in Canada even GAF if you have either?
    I don't think they were ever relevant for Canadian universities. More relevant to Asian parents than the students. The few IB kids when went to engineering school with me had no advantage.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

It is more about having some choice for students that want to challenge themselves academically. For example...students that are designated to go to Forest Lawn can't get out unless they apply for a specialized program such as IB. They are forced to go to a school that has challenges that other buildings don't.

Either let students/parents choose schools or provide them with an opportunity to take a program somewhere else. North East seems to be the target with most of these pilot projects and cuts as well.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I am big on programs of choice. One of my kids attends one, and the other may once she's out of the current special needs school. I think the CBE are a bunch of shitheads, and this change is designed to make parents mad at the provincial government. I don't know if that's going to work, I think both sides look bad here.

My Ride
    V8s

Chalk another one up for private school.

... I'll see myself out.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    IB can help getting into a non-NA school. AP is for fun.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I don't think they were ever relevant for Canadian universities. More relevant to Asian parents than the students. The few IB kids when went to engineering school with me had no advantage.
    I don’t think that’s true at all.

I know lots of people who skipped a large portion of first year eng with IB/AP. Others who secured full ride scholarships with it.

I am not going to judge whether they are better for it or not, I did some AP in HS but never bothered with the credits. I think if you are trying for a competitive program it doesn’t hurt as an extra punch to the application. But I have always cautioned people on making sure they can keep their grades up in the more rigorous program. Having an AP course on the transcript does you no good if your average drops by 5-10% trying to keep up.

Also +1 to CBE is a terrible organization in nearly every way.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

I've never heard of these, but as I'm understanding it, it's a publically funded program to give students a "head start" on University?

I don't see the issue with cutting it, if that's the case. You want your kid to get a leg up on other students, that's what extra-curricular shit is for. Volunteer for actual meaningful things outside the school system.

Students pay for IB + the exams they write.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

There's a real variance in opinions on the various "programs of choice" out there for public schooling. Things like traditional learning, science school, all girls school., Art-based learning, IB, AP, Language schools, Gifted (GATE) etc. I'm sure there are more. "one-size-fits-all" school isn't a great fit for a lot of students.

If we had education vouchers so the funding followed the student, this would be a non-issue, but as it is, the public system tries to accommodate a pretty wide variety of needs, and sometimes it does a good job, sometimes not.
    Last edited by ExtraSlow; 03-16-2021 at 11:08 AM.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

No point in doing IB anyways. Same goes with the GATE program.

I went to both (dropped out of IB) and there was absolutely no correlation to success of people and the programs they went in. Not suprisingly the biggest factor in success (monetary) was family wealth and education.

That being said, i certainly think kids should have the choice if they want to challenge themselves.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I think I said this in the old GATE thread, but anyone using that as a kind of "leg up for university" the way IB/AP are intended should stop it. There are gifted kids who do not fit the IB/AP criteria who need the gate program to make it through high school and out into the world.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I went to QE for HS, the vast vast vast majority of students in the Gate program were just kids with over involved booster parents who pushed and pushed and pushed until the school let their snowflakes be called gifted.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I went to QE for HS, the vast vast vast majority of students in the Gate program were just kids with over involved booster parents who pushed and pushed and pushed until the school let their snowflakes be called gifted.
    That's what I've heard and it upsets me. Although, not like I'm looking for GATE for either of my kids. Just hoping they both graduate grade 12 and learn to weld.

Quote Originally Posted by riander5 View Post
    No point in doing IB anyways. Same goes with the GATE program.

I went to both (dropped out of IB) and there was absolutely no correlation to success of people and the programs they went in. Not suprisingly the biggest factor in success (monetary) was family wealth and education.

That being said, i certainly think kids should have the choice if they want to challenge themselves.
    QFT.

I can confirm that a decade plus after high school that kids who took IB do not appear to have any added personal success compared to non-IB. The IB kids at my high school were also alienated socially as they were “nerds” which takes away from the most important part of high school which is the social aspect. You may think as a parent putting your kid in these programs give them a leg up, however, I would argue let your kid be a kid and if they are above average intelligence this will show by them crushing all the regular courses and then taking the optional courses, like calculus and such, instead of “options” like shop class or whatever.

My Ride
    ute

I went to an IB school (in fact, I was it was IB only). But I was in the US, and wanted to be able to take my high school education elsewhere/back to Canada.

I didn't think it helped me much in 1st year - I still just wanted to party and slay chicks. Lots of success on the former, only moderate success on the latter.

As for gifted shit - I think it's mostly bunk. I've met maybe one or two people in my life that I would consider gifted. The rest of the people just want to humble brag about their kid who is actually probably just one standard deviation higher IQ.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    I went to an IB school (in fact, I was it was IB only). But I was in the US, and wanted to be able to take my high school education elsewhere/back to Canada.

I didn't think it helped me much in 1st year - I still just wanted to party and slay chicks. Lots of success on the former, only moderate success on the latter.

As for gifted shit - I think it's mostly bunk. I've met maybe one or two people in my life that I would consider gifted. The rest of the people just want to humble brag about their kid who is actually probably just one standard deviation higher IQ.
    Three you mean right?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast