Quantcast
getting older and changing tastes in cars - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: getting older and changing tastes in cars

My Ride
    G37X

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I definitely agree as I age I think about the ownership experience quite a bit before buying. I really want a 997 GT3 or NA1/2 NSX but I imagine they are expensive to run, expensive to insure, they are definitely expensive to buy. I wouldn’t be able to afford to daily drive it, I definitely couldn’t afford to track them so at best it’s a 6 month of the year Sunday car for me, what’s the point of spending all that money.
    Yep, hard to argue with that. The season is short here.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

I can't speak to the cars themselves since that's not where I spend my money on.

I drive slower now, though. Always used to push 10-15 over posted limit but now I'm content to get to where I need to be doing 10 under

My Ride
    Touareg, Cayenne, 944s

Quote Originally Posted by nicknolte View Post
    Ditto. Auto daily driver with a manual "fun" car is the best way to go.

As long as the government allows us to have small, sporty Japanese ICE cars, there will be a manual one sitting in my garage for any driving that needs to be done outside of rush hour.
    Same for me. I still love powerful RWD manual cars. I also really like interesting cars. My commuter is a Model 3, which I think is pretty interesting and fun to drive, but with minimal maintenance. I used to commute in an E46 M3, and followed that with a B8.5 S4, but with kids and less time, I want to save my wrench turning time for my old 944 Turbo and the race cars. The biggest change I've had in my sports car tastes came with having kids too. No longer do I go into the Porsche builder to price out GT3s, GT4s, Boxster Spyders, but now I look at C2S because they have back seats.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

I'm getting to the point with my "fun" car as I was six years ago with my motorcycle...I don't really enjoy driving it unless I'm behaving like a complete F'ing degenerate and frankly I know that's not appropriate long term. I still have a need for a half ton but that may come to a close in a few years at which point I could see myself getting into a deep money SUV, something that almost drives like a performance car. Right now I can't justify owning a pick-up and an SUV (for myself) and the TRX is close to checking all the boxes but I simply refuse to pay over sticker for bloody truck.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    G37X

I suppose the biggest change for me was the realization that FWD, RWD & AWD cars can all be fun as a daily.

That is with the assumption that the FWD platform is performance oriented such as a Civic Si.

AWD launches are consistent and addictive, N/A V8 with a well specced AWD would be heaven need to LS swap my TL

My Ride
    Has wheels

In my early driving years I was all about manual cars. They were cheap and fun but definitely not fast.

After I bought my first truck around 2012, I've always liked having one but kind of boring. I stepped away from trucks for 2 years or so when I got into a golf R, to this day one of my most favorite daily drivers.

Ever since I've been buying "summer cars" they've always have been American muscle cars of some sort. I'm starting to dislike storing those the rest of the year when I don't use them but I really enjoy having and driving something old / unique. I'm looking at modernizing my '65 in the coming years so it's more comfortable and will be more enjoyable on longer drives.

Right now I think I'd like to have one more vehicle for my use.

Truck for daily as it's a good family hauler and comfortable.

My '65 because I enjoy having something old.

And what I'd like to add, would be a new(er) zl1 or something in that segment. But that circles back to storing more vehicles, which is something I don't want to do haha. We have too short of a driving season.

So trackhawk it is a guess

My Ride
    Family Hauler

My tastes are getting more expensive and my desire to have car payments is zero so combined I am still without a fun car

With age I find I am more interested in a safety. Cars built on carbon fiber tubs are much more appealing these days than late 60's brittle steel tubular chassis.

My interest in a car that doesn't run, sitting in the garage is still present.

My Ride
    V167

Good thread/topic.

After doing some real soul searching over the past few years my definition of fun and happiness in general has changed.
    I used to think that a fleet of sports cars/exotics (3-4) was exciting and something that I wanted in my life. Nope. No way. Never going to do this.

I have 1 daily driver (Infiniti EX37) which I put a whopping 4000km on over the past 12 months as I work from home 80% of the time.
    My sports car is super exciting. I drive it once per week, and it brings about a sensory overload. It is not fast by any means, but damn is it fun to drive. I literally have a smile from ear to ear after a short 30 minute drive through the backroads. It is my stress relief. I will never sell it.
    These 2 vehicles fulfill my needs/desires for everything automotive at this point in time. One vehicle serves as transport from point A->B with the second vehicle allowing me to spend time on it tinkering/detailing/wrenching. I really have zero desire for anything different at this point.

New cars have never interested me. I have zero interest in all the electronic gadgetry, massaging seats, GPS, mood lighting, etc.
    I am interested in older stuff such as MKIV VW R32, W126 SEC, W126 Sedan, 944 Turbo, Ferrari 550. I will add a 911 Turbo to the garage at some point in my life, who knows when, but it's been a child hood dream of mine that I will fulfill at some point. Might need to do that sooner because MANUEL going up in price. Ugh.

So, all in all, do not want multiple high end cars anymore. I think the next thing to do will be upgrading the EX37 to something larger whenever we have another kid, and then I will have some time to think about adding one of the previous mentioned vehicle to my garage along with a lift.

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

This hits close to home right now haha

i have been having a vehicular identity crisis lately... Thinking what if i finish my car and it's loud, obnoxious, a rough ride and uncomfortable for me(i'm too big for it physically) that i don't even wanna drive it? I'm sure i'll end up loving it, but the grass is always greener.. what about an M5? or CLS63? or 911? fast and comfortable......

Edit: and like TwinCamTurbo said, i wont even be able to drive it most of the year...

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

Quote Originally Posted by JfuckinC View Post
    This hits close to home right now haha

i have been having a vehicular identity crisis lately... Thinking what if i finish my car and it's loud, obnoxious, a rough ride and uncomfortable for me(i'm too big for it physically) that i don't even wanna drive it? I'm sure i'll end up loving it, but the grass is always greener.. what about an M5? or CLS63? or 911? fast and comfortable......

Edit: and like TwinCamTurbo said, i wont even be able to drive it most of the year...
    You can drive any of those cars year-round, if you want...

My Ride
    V8s

M5 (newer with awd), CLS63 and 911 are all fantastic year round drivers. I think he was talking about his camaro build though?

My Ride
    ////M

I would answer this completely different depending on the day - in the summers I commute in an E46 M3 and if it's a quiet morning I fall in love with it all over again (and then start thinking about putting money into it). But a lot of days I wonder why I have it versus a year round commuter, especially when there are so many other options to spend money on (not to mention the extra spot in the garage would be nice). We want to get a boat in the next few years so I'll probably drive it until we commit to that and then debate. I suspect if the car goes this will be my last 'fun car' for quite some time - would probably spend the next couple years more focused on upgrading the truck and SUV.

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Ya, I meant the Camaro haha, I'd definitely drive those in the winter, which is another pro in their case.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

My tases in cars hasn't changed all that much and maybe my taste in brands has. I really don't care for Japanese vehicles these days after owning them almost exclusively for some time. They are all so ugly and most have pretty outdated tech relative to the Germans and even the Koreans and domestics.

My Ride
    Megun/Kyosho/965

It is ok and common to change taste, but gotta keep your dream .. :P
    The Original !

1234567, ¦h³Ò¦h±o

My Ride
    06 EVO IX, 17 RAPTOR,13 JKRU, 18 TH Jeep

Quote Originally Posted by 03ozwhip View Post
    Getting in the Lightning is fun but it's not a far driving vehicle, so it's only good for a few hours, so loud and uncomfortable lol
    Really? i always thought they were quite comfortable seats for long highway travels.

My Ride
    changes every year

Quote Originally Posted by 4WARNED View Post
    Really? i always thought they were quite comfortable seats for long highway travels.
    Actually the seats are comfortable, its the suspension that makes it uncomfortable. Not even really uncomfortable, just not great for long drives, couple hours here and there.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

I’ve kinda already mentally committed myself to a Macan GTS or Turbo for my next car.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast