Quantcast
getting older and changing tastes in cars - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: getting older and changing tastes in cars

My Ride
    ute

Default getting older and changing tastes in cars

For the past...oh...40 years I've always had a car that was a dream car. Something that felt like an aspiration. That car has changed constantly, so what car that is doesn't really matter. However, over the past year or so, I've noticed I'm a lot less interested in cars in general. (I think this is part of the electric car move. They are not interesting to me at all.).

On the other hand, I think part of it is just what I want in a car might be getting "old". I always was excited by fast sports cars...but I've recently started becoming more interested in cruisers, GT cars, and even convertible GT cars.

Anyone else noticing a dramatic change in their car tastes as they get older?

I just sold my 1991 911 turbo last august, I'm still grieving!! I just found it was getting a little old and valuable and wasn't comfortable enjoying it as much as it deserved. I bought a 2009 BMW Z4 instead.....first Bimmer and the jury is still out. Maybe I'm also getting old and not as interested in cars anymore!!!

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by dromz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just sold my 1991 911 turbo last august, I'm still grieving!! I just found it was getting a little old and valuable and wasn't comfortable enjoying it as much as it deserved. I bought a 2009 BMW Z4 instead.....first Bimmer and the jury is still out. Maybe I'm also getting old and not as interested in cars anymore!!!
    I always liked those Z4s...why is the jury still out?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I never had any taste in cars. So no change there.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I never had any taste in cars. So no change there.
    but you do have preferences, no?

Have they changed a lot?

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

I am starting to value comfort and fuel economy a lot more. I’ve been driving ~130k a year for 5 years now.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    I am starting to value comfort and fuel economy a lot more. I’ve been driving ~130k a year for 5 years now.
    I haven't owned a "fun" car in about 3 years. Normally I'd be itching to get something right about now, but I'm feeling nothing, and my next car will probably be a very boring PHEV.

Oddly enough my taste has not changed since my late teens - I've always liked fun but practical cars, so I've owned Audi S4's for longer than anything else to date. My first car was a 3000GT hence my user name that I thought was cool when I was 16 haha. It was fun for a couple years in high school but I soon wanted something more useful. Car shopping for me is a multi-month process so I re-evaluate every time it's time to buy something new, and more often than not I still end up liking that same type of vehicle the most. We don't have space for more than two vehicles so I can't have a dedicated sports car. When I moved to an area where I didn't really need to drive or commute anymore, I just bought a basic Civic Hatch because I only drove 3-5K a year - I was caught off guard by how desirable that car was on the used market and I ended up in a multi-offer situation when my lease ran out. I later moved out of the DT core and I'm back to something a little more fun. Probably going to eventually replace the wife's Fit with a smaller SUV when it's time to sell as more and more we find ourselves needing the 'utility' aspect.

Wow, didn't realize Buster was that old.

I just turned 40 and I still can't see my life without a stick shift sports car.

Before COVID/WFH...I always had 2 vehicles to myself, a sports car and an SUV (or an auto sports car with AWD like the 2009 G37X coupe I had 1 winter).

When WFH happened, I decided to go down to 1 vehicle. At that time I had a 2013 FX37 and a 2012 135i...I chose to keep the sports car but it was a really hard decision.

Flash forward to after actually turning 40, I am finding that I am asking myself more and more whether I made the right decision as sometimes I DON'T want to row my own gears or sit in this tiny, little, loud-ish car where I have to feel every bump in the road, sometime I just want to get to the grocery store and back in luxury/quietness....like what I had in my FX37.

Anyways, getting bored of my 135 and contemplating either going back to a 370Z or go with an FX50S lol...I feel like the FX50S checks a lot of boxes for me BUT I know for a fact that I will miss driving a tiny, fast, stick shift car....maybe I'll find a cheap 350Z for those days.

I think when I'm Buster's age, I will probably want some big ass sedan.
    Last edited by JohnnyHockey13; 03-16-2021 at 04:50 PM.

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

As a kid and teen I used to always be about the super cars and the flash.. Now I see things like an MR2, or some of the rarer, but more "attainable" cars and get excited. I also like trucks. Its weird. But not lifted flashy or anything. A brand new stock F150 King Ranch gets me going over a brodozer.

Quote Originally Posted by ShermanEF9 View Post
    As a kid and teen I used to always be about the super cars and the flash.. Now I see things like an MR2, or some of the rarer, but more "attainable" cars and get excited. I also like trucks. Its weird. But not lifted flashy or anything. A brand new stock F150 King Ranch gets me going over a brodozer.
    I have always hated trucks just because they offer no fun factor whatsoever on the drives. Read an article about electric trucks coming and the benefits of instant torque and am reevaluating my hate for them. I do think a lot of small trucks look awesome, such as the new designed Nissan Frontier or even the current Chevy Colorado ZR2 or whatever they call it.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

For me, it was the emergence of my family.

Before the child came along, I mainly drove coupes. Then he came and I went full family with a CX9. Now I have a SUV hauler for the family so I *could* have a coupe again - though I find the XFR is a good compromise so I can actually have a little fun out there even if the family is in tow. I also don't care for the excessively loud exhausts and some of the other kinds of customizations I used to...

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    I also don't care for the excessively loud exhausts and some of the other kinds of customizations I used to...
    I think this is a big one. It used to be "How much noise can I make BECAUSE PERFORMANCE" Now I want it to be reasonable. I want to hear it without annoying the general world.

My Ride
    changes every year

I decided I'm done with manual cars after my last civic si. Just bored of it and have no use for it. I like driving a decently comfortable, sporty automatic.

For me my 335 fits the bill for everything, fun, pretty quiet and comfortable and it's nice for my long drives. That's all I need these days.

Getting in the Lightning is fun but it's not a far driving vehicle, so it's only good for a few hours, so loud and uncomfortable lol

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyHockey13 View Post
    Wow, didn't realize Buster was that old.

I just turned 40 and I still can't see my life without a stick shift sports car.

Before COVID/WFH...I always had 2 vehicles to myself, a sports car and an SUV (or an auto sports car with AWD like the 2009 G37X coupe I had 1 winter).

When WFH happened, I decided to go down to 1 vehicle. At that time I had a 2013 FX37 and a 2012 135i...I chose to keep the sports car but it was a really hard decision.

Flash forward to after actually turning 40, I am finding that I am asking myself more and more whether I made the right decision as sometimes I DON'T want to row my own gears or sit in this tiny, little, loud-ish car where I have to feel every bump in the road, sometime I just want to get to the grocery store and back in luxury/quietness....like what I had in my FX37.

Anyways, getting bored of my 135 and contemplating either going back to a 370Z or go with an FX50S lol...I feel like the FX50S checks a lot of boxes for me BUT I know for a fact that I will miss driving a tiny, fast, stick shift car....maybe I'll find a cheap 350Z for those days.

I think when I'm Buster's age, I will probably want some big ass sedan.
    I'm 43...lol

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyHockey13 View Post
    I have always hated trucks just because they offer no fun factor whatsoever on the drives. Read an article about electric trucks coming and the benefits of instant torque and am reevaluating my hate for them. I do think a lot of small trucks look awesome, such as the new designed Nissan Frontier or even the current Chevy Colorado ZR2 or whatever they call it.
    Getting on the loud pedal in my Duramax was pretty fun, and some light off roading too. I used to love going to Waiparous etc with friends and would definitely get back into wheeling again if I could.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

My current truck is the fastest vehicle I've ever owned, and probably the most fun too. Jesus what's that say?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    This and that.

I hope as I get older, I start hating cars and stop changing them like people change fucking underwear.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    I hope as I get older, I start hating cars and stop changing them like people change fucking underwear.
    you do need an intervention.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    actually, you need to start branching out in colors

My Ride
    This and that.

I won't argue against that, though I am sure there are people much worse out there. On Mbworld, on some topic I had mentioned all my cars I've had over the past 10 years and some poster said that that was an average year for them. lol. So that made me feel better.
    Last edited by shakalaka; 03-16-2021 at 06:07 PM.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast