Quantcast
Local Nissan Engine Rebuilder? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Local Nissan Engine Rebuilder?

My Ride
    Z

Default Local Nissan Engine Rebuilder?

Looking to have my 1995 300ZX TT rebuilt, ran some VP MS109 fuel last summer and cranked the boost (Dyno tuned for it). It detonated and has rod knock now, so time for a rebuild. Maybe a bad batch from VP at not quite the quoted octane level I needed. Apparently it's an inconsistent fuel according to some others who've used it.

Anyways, I searched around and most of the threads here say to try Precise or D&W. From what I can tell Precise is now "Cutter up Machine" and they won't touch it. D&W were good to chat with on the phone, but want me to go forged internals or they won't touch it for various reasons and that gets super pricey. I have Specialty Z down south of the border who are one of the best Z tuners on the planet telling me the stock engine is fine for my needs along with a pile of other gurus on the TT forums.

Anybody have any recommendations on who to talk to or where to take this? Seems most shops in Alberta only like the classic V8 engines. Not looking for the cheapest option, just somewhere trustworthy. If someone happens to have a lower mileage engine kicking around, I'd be interested in that too. Thanks in advance!

My Ride
    1994 Niissan 300ZXTT, 2010 370Z

For a job this big I would probably ship the whole car to Specialty Z, rather than taking a chance locally. Either that or buy a long block from IPP and have that shipped to someone you trust to swap it in. I've taken mine to Geoff and Lori at Shawnee Station Automotive and they've always done excellent work. Let us know how things go!

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by BlkMaxima View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Looking to have my 1995 300ZX TT rebuilt, ran some VP MS109 fuel last summer and cranked the boost (Dyno tuned for it). It detonated and has rod knock now, so time for a rebuild. Maybe a bad batch from VP at not quite the quoted octane level I needed. Apparently it's an inconsistent fuel according to some others who've used it.

Anyways, I searched around and most of the threads here say to try Precise or D&W. From what I can tell Precise is now "Cutter up Machine" and they won't touch it. D&W were good to chat with on the phone, but want me to go forged internals or they won't touch it for various reasons and that gets super pricey. I have Specialty Z down south of the border who are one of the best Z tuners on the planet telling me the stock engine is fine for my needs along with a pile of other gurus on the TT forums.

Anybody have any recommendations on who to talk to or where to take this? Seems most shops in Alberta only like the classic V8 engines. Not looking for the cheapest option, just somewhere trustworthy. If someone happens to have a lower mileage engine kicking around, I'd be interested in that too. Thanks in advance!
    You need to find some Nissan enthusiasts on this forum. Then see if they know someone who knows someone. Judging from here:
    https://forums.beyond.ca/forums/126-...ost&order=desc

You might try to see if @Chantastic or @Inzane might know someone who has had engine mod's on a 300zx.

My Ride
    Z

Quote Originally Posted by Spammer View Post
    For a job this big I would probably ship the whole car to Specialty Z, rather than taking a chance locally. Either that or buy a long block from IPP and have that shipped to someone you trust to swap it in. I've taken mine to Geoff and Lori at Shawnee Station Automotive and they've always done excellent work. Let us know how things go!
    I'm pretty comfortable removing the engine and shipping it. I've asked Specialty Z already and they don't have the time right now to work on it. They have too much happening locally to deal with it. Kyle at IPP had zero interest on email to build me a long block. Not sure why. I told both places that I'm in no rush too, didn't seem to matter.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    You need to find some Nissan enthusiasts on this forum. Then see if they know someone who knows someone. Judging from here:
    https://forums.beyond.ca/forums/126-...ost&order=desc

You might try to see if @Chantastic or @Inzane might know someone who has had engine mod's on a 300zx.
    Thanks, I'll start poking around there too.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

Precise shut down years ago. I just had my block bored by Muscle Motors out in strathmore. Super professional bunch of guys, they actually had to machine these end plates to be able to bolt it to their mill. (I have billet main caps so they needed to be bored first, not just honed.)

Very pleased with the work they did. The guy working on my engine even sent me pics and videos of the whole process after for my build journal.

I only had them do the main line-bore, but I'm using another guy at McJay for the decking, boring of the block and honing of the mains. Super nice guy, i can put you in touch with him if you need.

Pics of what Muscle Motors did to my little 2.0 Mazda FS

Name:  Line bore setup_2.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  81.7 KB

Name:  Checking bore size prior to final cap cutting.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  37.8 KB

My Ride
    Pushbroom

Forgot to mention that I measure and assemble my engines myself, that's just who I use for the actual machine work. But I'm sure both of the outfits I listed above will be more than happy to build your engine for you as well. Jeff at McJay does a lot of LS's and stuff, but he had no qualms about my little Mazda engine. Most all machine shops have the AERA manuals for every engine out there so you can be confident it's machined to the proper spec.

My Ride
    is faster than yours

My buddy has had the engine in his Z done a few times...he said his D&W experience wasn't great but has had good luck with Brad's Automotive Machine.

Hi There,

Sorry to hear about your engine woes. I'm Edmonton area based so I don't really know the shops in Calgary at all. There is member Z_Fan here on Beyond who had his VG30DETT done in Calgary at Davenport Racing years ago. Not sure if they're still around. Although from memory, I think his experience with them was mixed.

As for getting engine rebuild services in Edmonton, I haven't had to cross that bridge myself yet so I don't have an exact answer. It's something I plan to research for future need. However I can ask around among other Edmonton Z Car Club members to see who the more recent favorites seem to be.

I'm pretty comfortable removing the engine and shipping it. I've asked Specialty Z already and they don't have the time right now to work on it. They have too much happening locally to deal with it. Kyle at IPP had zero interest on email to build me a long block. Not sure why. I told both places that I'm in no rush too, didn't seem to matter.
    I can vouch for Specialty Z being busy. Our club keeps in touch regularly with Greg & Seb. (more on that in a sec)

I'm not sure what's going on with Kyle Puckett at IPP lately. Its almost like he's fallen off the map. He used to be a pillar of knowledge and sponsor/support for twinturbo.net. I've bought thousands of dollars of parts through him in the past and his customer support and willingness to answer questions was always top notch. However I think he was having troubles with whoever was providing short and long block rebuilds for him most recently. Shrug.

When you get to the point of a completed build, you'll want to get your car up here to Edmonton when we host our annual Dyno Tuning week. Our club flys Greg & Seb up from California for 4-5 days of straight tuning every summer. (We couldn't last summer because of COVID, and not sure if this summer will be a go yet).

For my own car, I'm still running stock internals. I've got JWT SP530BB turbos and all the breather mods and I made ~ 500 rwhp on VP109. (and about ~430ish on pump) We have some guys in the club that have gone further. Forged internals, cams and cam gears, etc. Some did flex fuel on E85.

Whether you need/want forged pistons and rods depends on what your ultimate goals are. But based on past conversations with Greg and Seb, they have always been big proponents of the stock internals provided you have a safe and proper tune for the fuel you're running.

Hmmm I don't think I be of much help here, sorry. My old Sr20 I used to take to Speedtech, and my VQ to Autodream. The former is gone now and the latter I haven't been to in ages.

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

I should start building motors!
    Machining, Fabricating, Welding etc.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by legendboy View Post
    I should start building motors!
    Its going to get to the point one day were I can send an engine to a place and they will 3D scan it and then 3D print a brand new one from scratch, using the latest tech.

Anyone heard of this place? Randomly looking on google maps and it came up. Odd website, decently funny jokes. Haha
    Out by Balsac
    http://www.custombalancing.com/enginebalancing.html

My Ride
    Z

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx Mazda View Post
    Forgot to mention that I measure and assemble my engines myself, that's just who I use for the actual machine work. But I'm sure both of the outfits I listed above will be more than happy to build your engine for you as well. Jeff at McJay does a lot of LS's and stuff, but he had no qualms about my little Mazda engine. Most all machine shops have the AERA manuals for every engine out there so you can be confident it's machined to the proper spec.
    Quote Originally Posted by never View Post
    My buddy has had the engine in his Z done a few times...he said his D&W experience wasn't great but has had good luck with Brad's Automotive Machine.
    Thanks! I'll call them and ask if they're interested. I've never built an engine bigger than a 2 stroke dirt bike and I don't really want to learn on this, so I need a shop that'll do all the assembly for the long block too.

Quote Originally Posted by Inzane View Post
    Hi There,

Sorry to hear about your engine woes. I'm Edmonton area based so I don't really know the shops in Calgary at all. There is member Z_Fan here on Beyond who had his VG30DETT done in Calgary at Davenport Racing years ago. Not sure if they're still around. Although from memory, I think his experience with them was mixed.

As for getting engine rebuild services in Edmonton, I haven't had to cross that bridge myself yet so I don't have an exact answer. It's something I plan to research for future need. However I can ask around among other Edmonton Z Car Club members to see who the more recent favorites seem to be.

I can vouch for Specialty Z being busy. Our club keeps in touch regularly with Greg & Seb. (more on that in a sec)

I'm not sure what's going on with Kyle Puckett at IPP lately. Its almost like he's fallen off the map. He used to be a pillar of knowledge and sponsor/support for twinturbo.net. I've bought thousands of dollars of parts through him in the past and his customer support and willingness to answer questions was always top notch. However I think he was having troubles with whoever was providing short and long block rebuilds for him most recently. Shrug.

When you get to the point of a completed build, you'll want to get your car up here to Edmonton when we host our annual Dyno Tuning week. Our club flys Greg & Seb up from California for 4-5 days of straight tuning every summer. (We couldn't last summer because of COVID, and not sure if this summer will be a go yet).

For my own car, I'm still running stock internals. I've got JWT SP530BB turbos and all the breather mods and I made ~ 500 rwhp on VP109. (and about ~430ish on pump) We have some guys in the club that have gone further. Forged internals, cams and cam gears, etc. Some did flex fuel on E85.

Whether you need/want forged pistons and rods depends on what your ultimate goals are. But based on past conversations with Greg and Seb, they have always been big proponents of the stock internals provided you have a safe and proper tune for the fuel you're running.
    I actually had the car tuned by Greg & Seb a few years ago just west of Edmonton. I think the Dyno they used was at a place called SilverWillow? Rob from the Z club up there organized it. My Z put down some similar numbers to yours 450ish on pump and 550ish on VP109. Greg is the one who first told me the VP109 isn't great after I told him how this happened, I'll be working with them to switch to E85 for some more consistent fueling once the engine is fixed. More than happy with this power level for what I do, especially considering we don't have a track down here.

If there is a great shop in Edmonton, I don't mind commuting to get the engine up there. My job has be traveling around western Canada a lot anyways and I'm sure I could coordinate it somehow.

My Ride
    Z

Quote Originally Posted by Chantastic View Post
    Hmmm I don't think I be of much help here, sorry. My old Sr20 I used to take to Speedtech, and my VQ to Autodream. The former is gone now and the latter I haven't been to in ages.
    I think Autodream is Online only now.

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    Anyone heard of this place? Randomly looking on google maps and it came up. Odd website, decently funny jokes. Haha
    Out by Balsac
    I'll call them up too, maybe get a good joke over the phone. They came up in my googling too.

My Ride
    *The First*

Does Lightspeed in Red Deer do this sort of thing? Or are they all about tuning, now?

I'd almost go for a tour of any shop first. See what equipment they have.
    Some don't have anything good and are relying on a 3rd party to do the work.
    Then it's all about abilities.

I'm in the group that relies on a shop to do the machining. Assembly done on my own.

I actually had the car tuned by Greg & Seb a few years ago just west of Edmonton. I think the Dyno they used was at a place called SilverWillow? Rob from the Z club up there organized it. My Z put down some similar numbers to yours 450ish on pump and 550ish on VP109. Greg is the one who first told me the VP109 isn't great after I told him how this happened, I'll be working with them to switch to E85 for some more consistent fueling once the engine is fixed. More than happy with this power level for what I do, especially considering we don't have a track down here.
    Ah good, then you’re probably already on our contact list. And we’ve probably even met. What does your car look like & approx. mods? (My memory tends to work like that... match the person to the car. Not as good with names. Lol)

My Ride
    Z

Quote Originally Posted by Inzane View Post
    Ah good, then you’re probably already on our contact list. And we’ve probably even met. What does your car look like & approx. mods? (My memory tends to work like that... match the person to the car. Not as good with names. Lol)
    I bought it off Duncan, he bought and installed Greg's old 16G turbo kit with open wastegates. I fixed all the bodywork and added a bunch more bolt on jewelery.

Name:  20180628_105822.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  52.3 KB

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    Out by Balsac
    He is probably one of the best in the city
    Machining, Fabricating, Welding etc.

Quote Originally Posted by legendboy View Post
    He is probably one of the best in the city
    City meaning, Airdrie or Calgary?

Kidding. Wouldn't surprise me some people have shops like these buried away and produce some of the best work you can find.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast