Quantcast
Aftermarket Wheel Hub Rings - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Aftermarket Wheel Hub Rings

My Ride
    RX300

Default Aftermarket Wheel Hub Rings

so one of the hub rings off my summer wheels snapped during the swap over to winter wheels last season. They were plastic so didn't expect them to last long.

wondering if you guys know where i can grab another or if i have to get another set of 4, will need it soon once swapping over to summer set in next month or so. Thanks in advance

trying is the first step towards failure

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by saiyajin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    so one of the hub rings off my summer wheels snapped during the swap over to winter wheels last season. They were plastic so didn't expect them to last long.

wondering if you guys know where i can grab another or if i have to get another set of 4, will need it soon once swapping over to summer set in next month or so. Thanks in advance

I got some copper ones from @tirebob last year.

More often than not we do recommend plastic for most peoples convenience simply because they will not corrode to the hub due to dissimilar metals contacting each other exposed to the elements, but you do need to be more careful when changing them in and out to avoid what you are talking about., but sometimes stock may only be around in one or the other making the decision for you. That said, metal is also usually a good chunk more than plastic so that can be a consideration for some

We do keep most sizes and configurations in stock all the time, but there are some oddballs out there that might require special ordering.

My Ride
    *The First*

I suppose I should just Google, but can anyone provide a scientific explanation (link) on how hub rings do anything more than the square root of fuck all?

I'm open to the idea that they do something because I've heard it enough times... But... 85ft-lb on five 21mm nuts on a bolt circle seems like a thing that's not going anywhere.

I wanna be wrong, but how could they possibly be doing anything?

It has nothing to do with holding the weight of the car up. It is all about centring the wheels during the tightening process. In theory you would not think it should not do much assuming someone does everything properly, but in practice it makes all the difference in the world. I can't tell you how many times people insist their problem is balance or a defective tire or a defective wheel and they absolutely refuse to believe hub rings will fix their problem, and then I finally convince them to just pop them in and try it and sure enough, every single issue is gone and they come in apologizing for being such idiots to begin with.

My Ride
    *The First*

I have a car with them and maybe I should try not installing them this summer to see if I notice a difference.
    I've heard so many stories exactly like you've just said. Maybe feeling will be believing!

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    I have a car with them and maybe I should try not installing them this summer to see if I notice a difference.
    I've heard so many stories exactly like you've just said. Maybe feeling will be believing!
    I can't honestly tell you every single situation is the same for everyone either, but more often than not by far this is the case. Some cars are much more sensitive than other cars too. I would like to hear back though on your experiment!

My Ride
    RX300

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    More often than not we do recommend plastic for most peoples convenience simply because they will not corrode to the hub due to dissimilar metals contacting each other exposed to the elements, but you do need to be more careful when changing them in and out to avoid what you are talking about., but sometimes stock may only be around in one or the other making the decision for you. That said, metal is also usually a good chunk more than plastic so that can be a consideration for some

We do keep most sizes and configurations in stock all the time, but there are some oddballs out there that might require special ordering.
    thanks Bob, probably give you guys a visit and pick up a set

It may also benefit a few people to know that not all plastic hub-centric spacers are the same quality. I've bought numerous sets of these things for my cars and I've found that almost all of them are made of brittle material = 1 time use.

I got a set of these 1.54mm thick green/yellow ones with an early 80's BMW about 10 years ago, and they are still flexible when gently squeezed.
    Name:  IMG_20210326_145653_703.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  75.2 KB

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

I would suggest Nylatron or Delrin material
    Machining, Fabricating, Welding etc.

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

I got aluminum ones from Vex.

My Ride
    RX300

I made the mistake of hitting up UrbanX on over the weekend and they were closed

will see try again through the week

Quote Originally Posted by saiyajin View Post
    I made the mistake of hitting up UrbanX on over the weekend and they were closed

will see try again through the week
    Sorry man! Just Monday to Friday... Only open up Saturdays for overflow when the season is out of control.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Now that Bob is WFH he's incredibly responsive by email. Try that if you are computer-bound nerd like me
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    It has nothing to do with holding the weight of the car up. It is all about centring the wheels during the tightening process. In theory you would not think it should not do much assuming someone does everything properly, but in practice it makes all the difference in the world. I can't tell you how many times people insist their problem is balance or a defective tire or a defective wheel and they absolutely refuse to believe hub rings will fix their problem, and then I finally convince them to just pop them in and try it and sure enough, every single issue is gone and they come in apologizing for being such idiots to begin with.
    Funny.. We put some wheels on a car we just sold and nothing we could do would fix the bad shake in the front end. We were going to put hub rings on but we sold the car before hand.

You always hear people say "Just line it up with your lug nuts" but that situation made me a firm believer in hub rings.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Now that Bob is WFH he's incredibly responsive by email. Try that if you are computer-bound nerd like me
    Except today... Today I have to run in for some meetings so replies will be a bit later! haha!