Quantcast
10' ceilings - worth it? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: 10' ceilings - worth it?

My Ride
    Canyonero

Default 10' ceilings - worth it?

With the price of lumber, upgrading our home build from 9' ceilings to 10' on the main is a not-insignificant sum of money.

Like as in, would you rather a hottub so you could rub nipples with @89coupe , or 1' taller ceilings?

Would you rather a red knobbed stove so you could flex on @killramos , or 1' taller ceilings?

Would you rather a (admittedly rather crappy) trailer so you could bunk up with @ExtraSlow or 1' taller ceilings?

So, for those beyond ballers that live with 10' high or even taller ceilings, worth it? or nah? These are important questions and I need answers.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Definitely worth it. My last place had awesome tall ceilings including the basement.

My new place does not, and I really don’t like it.

High ceilings definitely classes up the place more than Red knobs. Plus you can get red knobs later but you can’t add a foot of ceiling high later.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Definitely worth it. My last place had awesome tall ceilings including the basement.

High ceilings definitely classes up the place more than Red knobs. Plus you can get red knobs later but you can’t add a foot of ceiling high later.
    You can save money by having your shins blowed off by a Japanman's machine gun. It'll make your 9' ceiling look 10' from your new, shorter, perspective

My Ride
    Canyonero

I apologize publicly to @Tik-Tok for failing to stereotype him in a prejudicial manner in the OP. I should have added something like...

Would you rather upgrade your trailer to a clapped out old airstream so you could stunt like @Tik-Tok , or 1' higher ceilings?

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Absolutely do it. As it starts to become the new luxury option (whereas it used to be 9'), your house will age better.

And trust me - it makes a big difference. Granted, we have an open to below area, but our current house seems so much bigger than our prior with 9' ceilings.

As mentioned, spending the extra on basement height is also a great investment if you plan to finish it. Along with bigger windows.

My Ride
    Canyonero

these are good points. We've foregone a third floor loft and I am trying to sooth the pain of that loss by upping the cool factor of the other three floors. thinking 9' basement. 10' main with some vaulted areas, 9' upper with vaulted master.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    Absolutely do it. As it starts to become the new luxury option (whereas it used to be 9'), your house will age better.

And trust me - it makes a big difference. Granted, we have an open to below area, but our current house seems so much bigger than our prior with 9' ceilings.

As mentioned, spending the extra on basement height is also a great investment if you plan to finish it. Along with bigger windows.
    would you rather fix the transmission on your questionably-mechanically-sound Range Rover like @Kloubek , or go 1' higher ceilings? (or his case, both!)

edit: and thank you, Kloubek for your feedback, your point about the house aging better is a very valid one. This is the torture of a custom build. trying to spend some money in the right places, without spending way too much money on shit that matters to no one else but yourself.
    Last edited by prae; 03-26-2021 at 04:37 PM.

Very worth it IMO. We have 10' on the top 2 floors and 9' in the basement and it just makes the place look so much bigger and open. You really notice it when you go into older homes with 8-9' ceilings and they feel cramped in comparison (first world problems). It's a nice selling feature too even if this isn't your 'forever home'.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 03-26-2021 at 05:13 PM.

My Ride
    Canyonero

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Very worth it IMO. We have 10' on the top 2 floors and 9' in the basement and it just makes the place look so much bigger and open. You really notice it when you go into older homes with 8-9' ceilings and they feel cramped in comparison (first world problems). It's a nice selling feature too if this isn't your 'forever home'.
    this is gonna be my forever-underwater-on-build-cost-vs-market-value-home, so.. pretty much same same.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

It’s super super awesome that I can touch the ceilings in a large portion of my house.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Canyonero

It’s super super awesome that I can touch the ceilings in a large portion of my house.
    I mean just think about how easy it is to change those lightbulbs that rachel notley bought us

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

How much extra is it?? I’d do it either way, just curious as we almost bought in lake bonavista with low ceilings but bought newer community with high ceilings and it’s awsome. The ceilings wasn’t the factor in not buying in bonavista I will say.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Worth it.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    V8s

Worth it, as mentioned it's not something you can add later.

Also fwiw, if this is your "forever" home, who cares what's more appealing for the next guy. With customizations that are just for you that others might not appreciate, you're weighing a negligible difference in value retention or ROI against something that will put a smile (or frown) on your face every single day for the next two decades. No contest IMO.

Yes definitely if it’s your forever home. If you don’t but then regret the decision later it will be a major piss off every time you think about it.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by prae View Post
    We've foregone a third floor loft and I am trying to sooth the pain of that loss by upping the cool factor of the other three floors.
    Cedarglen Carbon? Was thinking that too but didn't get it.
    Recently been making a lot of runs in my house from 2F to basement... If I had to do 3F to basement that's an extra lot of calories.

Re: 10ft
    My thing is that even at 9ft, the walls always look so bare since you wouldn't put art up past eye level. So it would only get worse with 10ft
    Also if you've got full height cabinets in the kitchen, that's an odd look too now since the upper/lowers don't balance.

The money to go to 10ft, imo, is not adding 'usuable' space...
    I'd spend that amount instead to something like:
    -Add height to the basement so I don't bonk my head with a projector installation
    -Add garage depth / width; nobody needs less of this.
    -Add MBR floor space, or separate his & hers closets
    -Add windows; natural lighting is always lacking.

But I'm a non-aspen pleb so what do I know
    Last edited by jwslam; 03-26-2021 at 05:18 PM.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Somethings to consider.

1. Extra steps to climb on every floor.
    2. More air to condition leading to uneven temps if your HVAC is undersized or not setup properly.
    3. More wall to fill with art
    4. Need to adjust window sizing, which can get very expensive. Might have limited window covering choices due to absolute length.
    5. All doors MUST be 8' doors or even taller custom doors. 6'8" will look stupid. Maybe add transoms above each door.

We went with 9', 9' and 9' because wife complained about #1. haha.

It changed the design of our house to where we had to ad a turn to the stair case. Both of these staircases used to be straight.

Name:  2021-03-26_17-13-57.png
Views: 273
Size:  5.4 KB

My Ride
    Megun/Kyosho/965

Worth it for sure, if I could, I would pay for it,. (but not allow to back then when we built out house)

My cousin's house was built with 10ft ceiling by mistake … so nice!!
    The Original !

1234567, ¦h³Ò¦h±o

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by prae View Post
    I apologize publicly to @Tik-Tok for failing to stereotype him in a prejudicial manner in the OP. I should have added something like...

Would you rather upgrade your trailer to a clapped out old airstream so you could stunt like @Tik-Tok , or 1' higher ceilings?
    I would take the 1' higher ceilings over my airstream. I only live in that maybe 20 days of the year. 10' ceiling is for the other 345 days that actual matters.

Plus the most important part, re-sale appeal.

We have had zero issues with cabinet aesthetics, making walls look good with art, or windows. I wouldn't have even thought of it had it not been mentioned here. Almost every wall gets broken up by windows anyway so there aren't many places where you have 10ft of bare wall. New homes are so well sealed & insulated now that utility costs are also a non-issue IMO. Our utility bills are less than they were in our old place despite having double the square footage, A/C and a heated garage.

The only downside I can think of is full height cabinets mean you are standing on a chair to get something from the very top, but we just put the stuff up there that gets used a couple times a year for guests or whatever and it only takes 10 extra seconds to get it down regardless.

Better be coffered ceilings you plebs.

There are height restrictions in Calgary, not sure if 10' ceilings on both floors would be too high.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast