Quantcast
Formula 1 Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix 2021 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Formula 1 Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix 2021

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Default Formula 1 Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix 2021

Not much for me to say right now.
    But I felt it appropriate to make the following announcement.

Name:  hcfj6huxukp61.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  51.8 KB

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

About time that RB got in there. Perez though - ooops.
    Last edited by revelations; 03-27-2021 at 02:26 PM.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

I was watching the overtake by Verstappen on Hamilton. Does anyone else think if Max could have been more aggressive and pushed in more to Hamilton? Did he have the grip?
    I mean if this was Michale Schumacher Or Ayrton doing the move, would they have pushed in more to keep the car in and give zero fucks to Hamilton..?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was watching the overtake by Verstappen on Hamilton. Does anyone else think if Max could have been more aggressive and pushed in more to Hamilton? Did he have the grip?
    I mean if this was Michale Schumacher Or Ayrton doing the move, would they have pushed in more to keep the car in and give zero fucks to Hamilton..?
    He almost made that pass stick. He was just a little too aggressive on the throttle coming out of turn 4, oversteered which threw him wide and past track limits. He was understeering on the exit, but would've easily stayed inside the track if it wasn't for that moment. The run from 4 to 5 is short where Ham wouldn't have been able to make a move into 5 since it's a high speed entry with no braking zone. Not like Ham's tires would've been able to make a move anyways.

If it wasn't for that mistake by Max, that pass would've stuck. After turn 4, it was S2, where RBR would've ran away from Hamilton. He was consistently 1/2 second quicker in S2 compared to Hamilton at that stage of the race/tire life between the two.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Toyota Christopher Lambert

Frustrating and exciting race, Perez did great with the hand he was dealt. Mediums in Q2 didn't help him and then unfortunately having the issue on the formation lap is some shitty luck....could even say losing the extra lap due to the extra formation lap at the start cost Max another go at Lewis potentially if you want to play the game of what if's.

Midfield looks amazing, should be a good season if this race is an intro of things to come.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    He almost made that pass stick. He was just a little too aggressive on the throttle coming out of turn 4, oversteered which threw him wide and past track limits. He was understeering on the exit, but would've easily stayed inside the track if it wasn't for that moment. The run from 4 to 5 is short where Ham wouldn't have been able to make a move into 5 since it's a high speed entry with no braking zone. Not like Ham's tires would've been able to make a move anyways.

If it wasn't for that mistake by Max, that pass would've stuck. After turn 4, it was S2, where RBR would've ran away from Hamilton. He was consistently 1/2 second quicker in S2 compared to Hamilton at that stage of the race/tire life between the two.
    Max is right, they should have gone for the penalty instead of letting Lewis past.

This was a classic Lewis race - perfect tire management, perfect race management, zero mistakes.

Redbull/Max made a couple of mistakes, and that's all it took. And perhaps a bad differential on Max's car.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Max is right, they should have gone for the penalty instead of letting Lewis past.

This was a classic Lewis race - perfect tire management, perfect race management, zero mistakes.

Redbull/Max made a couple of mistakes, and that's all it took. And perhaps a bad differential on Max's car.
    Definitely worth the chance, even though I don’t think he would’ve pulled 5 seconds, as his tires were shot as well. It would’ve created way more drama tho, which would’ve been bad for the sport.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    This and that.

I see a lot of Max fan's complaining online how Lewis wasn't reprimanded for taking that turn wide for half the race and while Max did it once the FIA decides to penalize him. What they don't seem to understand is, notwithstanding the confusion about how wide you were allowed to go on turn 4, overtaking someone outside the track limits has always been illegal. Freakin ridiculous seeing Max fans going on about how he was 'robbed' by the FIA.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    I see a lot of Max fan's complaining online how Lewis wasn't reprimanded for taking that turn wide for half the race and while Max did it once the FIA decides to penalize him. What they don't seem to understand is, notwithstanding the confusion about how wide you were allowed to go on turn 4, overtaking someone outside the track limits has always been illegal. Freakin ridiculous seeing Max fans going on about how he was 'robbed' by the FIA.
    The Mazzi guy from the FIA who handled this is a moron.

He said you could blow the track limits on that corner, unless it is an overtaking. Then he said you couldn't. You shouldn't be allowed to do what Max did, but the FIA still looks dumb for how they handled it.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Here’s an interesting analysis of it. Basically an inconsistent shit show.

Every driver including Max did the same thing, past the white line, just not as far as Hamilton through the first half of the race. Max started copying Hamilton, race control got wind of it and clarified. Once race control clarified, Hamilton kept within track limits, while Max was still out, but on the curbs without any warnings.

My Ride
    Grimace

What an excellent race. Good battles up front and in the midfield. My boy seb battling with the backmarkers though and ocons rear tires.......
    Tsunoda with a very impressive first race and perez did a good job of getting the unfamiliar car back into the points.

Not sure on T4, why not just have track limits in play when it is obviously faster to go way out where hamilton was while others would keep at least 1 wheel on?

My Ride
    This and that.

Totally agreed that FIA fucked up. No doubt about it. But it never ended up being to the point where Ham got such an advantage over Max that if he hadn't Max would have won as people seem to believe. I believe Ham won fair and square and due to his experience and skill. Not due to FIA's inconsistent application of the rule re: T4.

ALL Max had to do was to wait for another turn or two and then do the overtake. His impatience screwed him over. Ham's skill/thinking of taking that turn purposefully wide making Max go off track limits is a perfect strategic move you would expect from someone who know's what they are doing in those circumstances, when you know your car isn't fast enough to stay ahead.
    Last edited by shakalaka; 03-29-2021 at 02:54 PM.

My Ride
    ute

Totally agreed that FIA fucked up. No doubt about it. But it never ended up being to the point where Ham got such an advantage over Max that if he hadn't Max would have won as people seem to believe. I believe Ham won fair and square and due to his experience and skill. Not due to FIA's inconsistent application of the rule re: T4.

ALL Max had to do was to wait for another turn or two and then do the overtake. His impatience screwed him over. Ham's skill/thinking of taking that turn purposefully wide making Max go off track limits is a perfect strategic move you would expect from someone who know's what they are doing in those circumstances, when you know your car isn't fast enough to stay ahead.
    Lewis didn't do anything wrong. The FIA fucked up, and contributed greatly to Hamilton's win. If there was no material advantage to going out there, then why: 1) did Lewis do it consistently 2) the FIA put a stop to it 3) get Max to give back the position for being out there.

Credit to Lewis for doing a better job taking advantage of the idiot bureaucrats at the FIA.

I agree that the FIA was inconsistent and needs to fix that. There were two different directives governing what went on at T4. The Race Director's Notes were dealing with track limits for the race ie. you can't go outside the track for practice or quali but you can for the race - until we decide you can't. The Sporting Regulations say that you can't overtake when you are outside track limits, ever, on any track. That's why Max had to give the position back.

My Ride
    This and that.

Lewis didn't do anything wrong. The FIA fucked up, and contributed greatly to Hamilton's win. If there was no material advantage to going out there, then why: 1) did Lewis do it consistently 2) the FIA put a stop to it 3) get Max to give back the position for being out there.

Credit to Lewis for doing a better job taking advantage of the idiot bureaucrats at the FIA.
    See that's the issue. I am not saying there was no advantage. Even Max took advantage of the FIA being inconsistent with the rules as he also went wide on that turn for many laps. Perhaps Lewis took it for more laps than Max did, but I don't know if there's a way to figure that out now? Regardless, that overtake specifically though was never going to be accepted notwithstanding whether it took place on T4 or another turn for that matter. Also, I thought the call to give back the position was the team's and not FIA as they would have otherwise just imposed a 5 second penalty.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

See that's the issue. I am not saying there was no advantage. Even Max took advantage of the FIA being inconsistent with the rules as he also went wide on that turn for many laps. Perhaps Lewis took it for more laps than Max did, but I don't know if there's a way to figure that out now? Regardless, that overtake specifically though was never going to be accepted notwithstanding whether it took place on T4 or another turn for that matter. Also, I thought the call to give back the position was the team's and not FIA as they would have otherwise just imposed a 5 second penalty.
    There is a way to know. There's full in car views of each car for the entire race. You can see how far each driver drove off track at T4 clearly almost every single lap (at times the camera changes to a rear view in a battle, so you don't see it). See that tweet I posted a couple posts up that watched every lap and put together an analysis.

The biggest advantage that Ham got from running wide is probably not lap time as he's managing pace on his stints to keep within a safe zone for Max's strategy, but tire wear. Running wide saved him a lot of tire life, which played out in the final lap battle. It allowed him to run such a long 3rd stint to undercut RBR successfully and have enough tire to barely hold Max behind him.

My Ride
    Lariat 2.7 & StreetTriple R

Zero mistakes? Lewis went completely off track at turn 10 and then some when max was chasing him down. If that was an old school track lewis would have beached it in the gravel 100%.

Also, he was running wide every lap until race control called him out. And i see many here and online are in agreement that FIA screwed up there, to the detriment of RBR.

Tsunoda was impressive, so was Perez and Leclerc. Great midfield race shaping up. I just hope the races are this close again!
    Last edited by OTown; 03-29-2021 at 06:08 PM.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Bahrain has always been a MB place -ie. where they have typically excelled - that RB got this close means they will be (finally) challenging them more in the season.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by OTown View Post
    Zero mistakes? Lewis went completely off track at turn 10 and then some when max was chasing him down. If that was an old school track lewis would have beached it in the gravel 100%.

Also, he was running wide every lap until race control called him out. And i see many here and online are in agreement that FIA screwed up there, to the detriment of RBR.
    Everyone was running wide. Watch the in cars if you have access to it. Even Max was outside track limits almost every lap. Ham just went a foot or 2 wider.

Random lap screenshot. Every lap was like this.

Name:  FFCABB17-8247-4EB6-9F3C-D33FFD39FAC0.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  55.6 KB

Name:  28DEB006-4AEE-4A99-9D79-7921E802ABAF.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  53.9 KB

After race control clarification, random lap. Ham stayed within track limits. Max continued to breach it every lap.

Name:  A67C3922-2267-4203-A3F2-7DB430AC1965.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  52.2 KB

Name:  04CA654E-FE17-4F3E-AC38-25BD18B7F319.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  52.6 KB

So you could argue Max only catch up on the last stint by breaching track limits to the detriment of Mercedes...

Long story short, buy F1TV haha. It’s great for fact checking.

Edit - once Max gave position back, the remaining laps both cars breached t4 limits every lap.

My Ride
    This and that.

Bam. End of argument.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast