Quantcast
Inflation MEGATHREAD - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 13 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Inflation MEGATHREAD

My Ride
    ute

Default Inflation MEGATHREAD

I'm finding it interesting where we are seeing data for inflation and where we are seeing anecdotal evidence of inflation.

Some obvious ones right now are houses, and bicycles for instance.

I've also noticed that a few of my "fun car" AT searches are starting to act weird in the last month or so - somewhat mirroring what the Calgary RE market is doing. Cars I've seen sit for literally years are getting snapped up - across a few different car types, markets and price windows. (I'm not in the market for another fun car this year, but I enjoy the window shopping). Then new ones coming on the market are asking ritard pricing.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Apparently RV's and trailers are seeing some insane pricing. And the rise of the concept of NFT has to mean something. Always in for another MEGA thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Apparently RV's and trailers are seeing some insane pricing. And the rise of the concept of NFT has to mean something. Always in for another MEGA thread.
    I always feel a little guilty, like I should PM you first to get your sign off.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

A lot of vehicles I’ve been following are either selling or similar are going up in listing price significantly. Some that are unsold I’ve seen raise their prices too after sitting on the market for months.

The price of just about everything is insane right now.

Anything outdoors/ leisure, fitness equipment and lumber most notably.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    I always feel a little guilty, like I should PM you first to get your sign off.
    I hereby grant you permanent license to create MEGA threads.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

ES is going to move on to HYPER threads.

I've noticed that anything that requires shipping is also going up in price... you know like our fresh food.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Is it really “inflation” or reallocation of the same economic capacity to certain market segments?

Is everything getting more expensive? Or are people just willing to spend more on some things? Where are the opportunities?

Is now a good time to buy a house in Hawaii sight unseen? (Maybe a bad example, as US domestic money might be flooding into HI).

Overpriced trailers and bicycles are less interesting to me than where there are gaps / opportunities to get awesome things cheap.

The only argument for true demand inflation I have seen is from all the free money the government has pumped into poor people’s pockets, increasing demand without a commensurate drop in demand elsewhere. Also obviously means it’s not long lasting. The economy is currently fucked, I don’t see how we see economic demand continuing like this for long.
    Last edited by killramos; 03-29-2021 at 10:23 AM.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Carflation: RX7 FD was like 15k$ for a LHD around 7 years aggo, now a bagged to shit RHD one is 25k+$, pretty crazy.

Drinks: Coke, Monster, whatever all have reduced the sizes of their cans to start offering mini versions. Half the time only the mini ones are on sale and I think we'll gradually see the larger sizes either phased out or just no longer on sale.

Lumber: Lumber is up like 2-3x in price in the past year, absolutely nuts if you are trying to build anything, really hoping it comes down in price so I can replace my deck at some point.

RVs & Motorbikes are also at an all time high, really debating selling my street bike for a year and rebuying something new in 2022 once life settles back to post-pandemic. I did something similar with my elliptical, bought it used for 150$ and sold it for 750$ last fall. Craziness.

Micro-electronics: Had to re-order some PCBs I get made, prices are up ~20-30% from two years ago, lots of the smaller ICs are harder to come by because of all the china factories shutdown. Here's hoping in a year or two it catches up because this hurts.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Is it really “inflation” or reallocation of the same economic capacity to certain market segments?

Is everything getting more expensive? Or are people just willing to spend more on some things? Where are the opportunities?

Is now a good time to buy a house in Hawaii sight unseen? (Maybe a bad example, as US domestic money might be flooding into HI).

Overpriced trailers and bicycles are less interesting to me than where there are gaps / opportunities to get awesome things cheap.

The only argument for true demand inflation I have seen is from all the free money the government has pumped into poor people’s pockets, increasing demand without a commensurate drop in demand elsewhere. Also obviously means it’s not long lasting. The economy is currently fucked, I don’t see how we see economic demand continuing like this for long.
    My thinking similar. People are cooped up at home so they bought (A) A lot of electronics (B) Renovated the house (C) Bought new furniture (D) *insert hobby item. Add to that any influence of shipping issues, manufacturing issues because of flooding, covid, etc... The foam industry is a perfect example, as are semiconductors. I wouldn't categorize those items that inflation is increasing, rather that the supply:demand ratios have drastically changed.

People used to go out to eat a lot, travel abroad for vacation or family visits... It seems now there is "new-found" wealth discovery from not spending that is now being spent on items they otherwise wouldn't be considering.

Real Estate, I still don't know what to make of this. I genuinely think people are buying in fear of 'missing out' from ultra low interest rates and that when things return to 3%+ they "missed the boat" and are now rushing. Or again they haven't been spending like they used to and want to invest urgently. All I know is Realtors are making an absolute killing right now!
    Last edited by msommers; 03-29-2021 at 10:52 AM.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Carflation: RX7 FD was like 15k$ for a LHD around 7 years aggo, now a bagged to shit RHD one is 25k+$, pretty crazy.
    Have a feeling that old fuckers like us are starting to relive the 90s. Much like the muscle car boom a decade or so back when Boomers trying to relive their youths.

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    My thinking similar. People are cooped up at home so they bought (A) A lot of electronics (B) Renovated the house (C) Bought new furniture (D) *insert hobby item. Add to that any influence of shipping issues, manufacturing issues because of flooding, covid, etc...
    Confirm B for a co-worker. Family used to go to Disney 2x/year. Money saved in 2020/21 will go to a $20K basement dev.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 03-29-2021 at 10:56 AM.

Used bicycles. Refrigerators, PS5, videocards, computer components.

Lumber never came back down. Tinned meat still affordable, but I can imagine it won't be long if a couple percent of the population decides to go full prepper.

My Ride
    ute

Savings rates went up a lot over the last year (I think). We could be seeing a liquidation of people's savings into other spending.

But generally I think we are looking at a monetary phenomenon.

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

McDonalds McDouble Q1 2021 price: $2.90CAD

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Sentry View Post
    McDonalds McDouble Q1 2021 price: $2.90CAD
    BOGO - 2 Big Mac for $5.30.

My Ride
    Lease

I bet NFT of all your posts are worth a gem. Is that how it works?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by TomcoPDR View Post
    I bet NFT of all your posts are worth a gem. Is that how it works?
    ES is sitting on a goldmine...

https://opensea.io/collection/shitposting

My Ride
    Lease

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    ES is sitting on a goldmine...

https://opensea.io/collection/shitposting
    Too bad @ZenOps only takes payments in nickels for his contents though

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

I have to believe that as soon as this Covid bullshit is over we'll see a swift correction on things like RVs, bicycles and exercise equipment. At least I hope so, trying to buy my growing kid a replacement bicycle if infuriating, I feel like I'm being extorted at every turn.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Bandit View Post
    I have to believe that as soon as this Covid bullshit is over we'll see a swift correction on things like RVs, bicycles and exercise equipment. At least I hope so, trying to buy my growing kid a replacement bicycle if infuriating, I feel like I'm being extorted at every turn.
    I hope barely used treadmills go on a blowout sale.
    Good thing most will be dust free from all the clothes hung over it.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 11 ... LastLast