Quantcast
SQ7 vs Cayenne S (GTS)? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: SQ7 vs Cayenne S (GTS)?

My Ride
    x5 / Mini Roadster

Default SQ7 vs Cayenne S (GTS)?

Thought I'd throw this out there and see what folks have to say.

Returning to YYC after 4.5 years abroad on ex-pat assignments. Need to get into a vehicle when we return later this summer.

Considering (new) Audi SQ7 vs Cayenne S or (GTS).

Anyone own either of these? Any thoughts/feedback.

Need an SUV to haul a dog around and tow duties for boat out at the cottage.

Thanks!
    Hanging out in H-Town.

Miss the Autobahn

My Ride
    *The First*

You mentioned buying new. My guess is the Porsche suffers a less crippling depreciation than the Audi.

My Ride
    x5 / Mini Roadster

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You mentioned buying new. My guess is the Porsche suffers a less crippling depreciation than the Audi.
    I think your guess would be correct. I don't think I'd consider a used SQ7 unless it was something unique, and doesn't seem to be many used (recent model) Cayenne's around. For that matter, there a 0 new SQ7's in Alberta, 0 of the GTS's in inventory and just a few non-coupe S models.
    Hanging out in H-Town.

Miss the Autobahn

My Ride
    Silverado

I don't see either of those holding value well.

I have no experience with either, but I find Audi's exterior leaves a lot to be desired.

How about the X5 50i?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by rc51 View Post
    I think your guess would be correct. I don't think I'd consider a used SQ7 unless it was something unique, and doesn't seem to be many used (recent model) Cayenne's around. For that matter, there a 0 new SQ7's in Alberta, 0 of the GTS's in inventory and just a few non-coupe S models.
    SQ7 didn't land here til 2020 model year (We never got the European diesel version for obvious reasons). Used ones will be next to impossible.

My Ride
    x5 / Mini Roadster

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    I don't see either of those holding value well.

I have no experience with either, but I find Audi's exterior leaves a lot to be desired.

How about the X5 50i?

Depreciation isn't really an issue. We tend to hold onto our vehicles for longer than normal. Before we left for Germany, there was 4 vehicles in the garage. Our Q7 TDI at the time was really only for driving out to the cottage and tow duties. Had it 8 years and then Audi bought it back due to diesel gate. I'm not 100% sold on the new exterior, I much preferred the style we had 2 generations ago. But nothing in the SUV world these days is really head turning.

Have thought about the x5 50i, had a BMW wagon in Germany, that was pure bliss, have an x5 40i in Houston, and even though it does everything it's supposed to do well, I just find it boring. Our wagon was way more fun to drive. Maybe it's just because driving in Europe was a pleasure and driving in Houston is a freaking nightmare.

Also wondering about x5 build quality, our x5 started leaking at the diff after 3000 miles, the dealer found it on regular service visit, and said "It's a known problem, they had lots of casting issues". Not confidence inspiring.

Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    SQ7 didn't land here til 2020 model year (We never got the European diesel version for obvious reasons). Used ones will be next to impossible.

Good to know. We left YYC in 2017, so not sure what models came here and when. If it were up to me, I'd just go back to Germany and get the RS6 wagon, at least you can use that there at full potential. Won't own a boat in Germany so no towing required.
    Hanging out in H-Town.

Miss the Autobahn

Somewhat related: I compared the SQ5 to the Macan GTS and it was a non-decision... they weren't that far off on paper, but the Macan was so much better to drive.

My Ride
    x5 / Mini Roadster

Quote Originally Posted by Super_Geo View Post
    Somewhat related: I compared the SQ5 to the Macan GTS and it was a non-decision... they weren't that far off on paper, but the Macan was so much better to drive.
    I don't doubt it. The GTS is in a league by itself. I guess engine wise the SQ7 is a poor-mans GTS as they use the same engine. But I think you're looking at least a $15K difference. The other complication is all the options that Porsche has. Never owned one so not sure how you decide what options are a must (driving wise) not aesthetics.
    Hanging out in H-Town.

Miss the Autobahn

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by rc51 View Post
    I don't doubt it. The GTS is in a league by itself. I guess engine wise the SQ7 is a poor-mans GTS as they use the same engine. But I think you're looking at least a $15K difference. The other complication is all the options that Porsche has. Never owned one so not sure how you decide what options are a must (driving wise) not aesthetics.
    The option game is tough... I find that you don't really know too much until you get to experience the car a bit. A GTS spec is always going to feel special, but I would encourage finding one with a few unique options that make the car feel more luxurious as it can be a bit Teutonic feeling in base trim. Previous gen, but my previous cayenne had Premium Plus, vs my current with Premium Plus, extended leather and a few other goodies and the experience is so much better. My favorite option is the 18 way adaptive seats.
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid