Quantcast
VPN question for watching games under local blackout - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: VPN question for watching games under local blackout

Default VPN question for watching games under local blackout

Another totally newbie"esque" question...

I am on iMac and run Parallels for Windows applications and am VPN'd into my work computer, but is that different than the VPN subscription sites that allow me to watch games outside local blackouts? If so, will subscribing to one of the VPN websites fix my issue and let me watch games? If so, will it mess with my tunnelling into work? I don't want to screw that up somehow as it was not a lot of fun trying to get that working and the last thing I want to do is hassle Rage2 to fix up that shit again if I mess it up.

Any advice?

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

It'll be tough for a non techie guy to do it on a single computer, if you want to run another computer it would make it massively easier
    You could manually switch between VPNs if don't mind but for most people that's a pain in the ass and that might not work for you

If you're looking for a VPN service that'll bypass regional lockouts I use Torguard and they've been great
    Last edited by Asian_defender; 04-01-2021 at 11:16 AM.

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

Pm'd.

My Ride
    B5 S4, UrQ, UZJ100, 990 SMR

You would be using RDP if you're accessing your work computer and controlling it. Or maybe you have a VPN to connect you to your work domain (ie: tirebob.com) and then you use remote desktop to control your work computer. Really, more info is needed here.

Ultimately, it's not difficult to have a couple VPN's configured, whether it's windows or Mac.
    Originally posted by InRich
    tell her I'll pick her up in the vette
    Originally posted by InRich
    The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

Quote Originally Posted by Asian_defender View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

If you're looking for a VPN service that'll bypass regional lockouts I use Torguard and they've been great
    Have the upgrades that they've done helped with speeds? Left them last year cause it seemed like they were really congested, could never really get more than 10mbps at any given time.

My Ride
    rally pig

depends on how the VPN is setup, all traffic goes through the tunnel or split tunnel (only certain packet gets encrypted and goes through the tunnel)?
    what rage2 probably setup for you is a split tunnel so that you can access only your work network through the VPN but regular internet traffic goes out directly. so if you were in Mexico, you could access your work PC but can't access Canadian contents.

if you want to access and stream other region media content then you need a full VPN tunnel which is what these subscription VPN offers.
    I use PrivateVPN to access Netflix Japan and Philippine contents for this exact reason.

edit: you can run multiple VPNs but it can get ugly and performance may degrade, especially to your work VPN as you are adding extra hops
    if you connect to a subscription VPN, all your traffic will route through it including your work VPN so if you were connected to a US VPN, then it will look like you are remoting to your work PC from the US.

some VPN subscriptions offers spit tunnel now and can control through browser extensions but I havent played with these yet.
    Last edited by taemo; 04-01-2021 at 01:26 PM.

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

Quote Originally Posted by cyra1ax View Post
    Have the upgrades that they've done helped with speeds? Left them last year cause it seemed like they were really congested, could never really get more than 10mbps at any given time.
    It's a little bit better but if you want to achieve more than 100Mbps you'll need to upgrade the plan. I didn't bother as I set static devices to go out VPN.
    Nvidia shield for Canadian content and one Firetv stick for American and a second Firetv stick for Japan. It was the easiest way to get everyone in my house to understand how to use different regions with them being really untechnical

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

To be honest, I use those smart dns services for lifting sports blackouts. Cheaper than vpn, and just tricks the geo portion of the authentication chain, so you use all your own bandwidth to get the stream. They don’t actually interfere with your vpn either.

All those services have free trials. Try it free for a week see if it works.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    To be honest, I use those smart dns services for lifting sports blackouts. Cheaper than vpn, and just tricks the geo portion of the authentication chain, so you use all your own bandwidth to get the stream. They don’t actually interfere with your vpn either.

All those services have free trials. Try it free for a week see if it works.
    Does DNS still work for lifting sports blackouts? I thought most of them had moved to GeoIP filtering to combat the DNS services

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Asian_defender View Post
    Does DNS still work for lifting sports blackouts? I thought most of them had moved to GeoIP filtering to combat the DNS services
    Still works. NHL, ESPN, Hulu, HBO Max, AT&T TV, all works. Netflix is the only one that doesn’t work.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Rage2, how are you getting around the credit card block with HBO MAX? If you have a Canadian address attached to your Credit Card, no go even using a valid US address in your name (I've tried). Are you going through Itunes somehow?

Am I missing something or why bother with a VPN to skirt the lockouts when all you have to do is go to one of the dozens of streaming websites that have every game from every sport in HD?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Gman.45 View Post
    Rage2, how are you getting around the credit card block with HBO MAX? If you have a Canadian address attached to your Credit Card, no go even using a valid US address in your name (I've tried). Are you going through Itunes somehow?
    I subscribe to AT&T TV though a US co worker. I pay him and use his card and address. I have a whole lot of other friends that just borrows US friends cable/sat subscription logins. Free. All these services allows you to validate against traditional providers to validate subscription.

Hulu I have thru US iTunes on a US gift credit card and iTunes cards. They all need a legit attached credit card, and 7-11 gift visa will do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Am I missing something or why bother with a VPN to skirt the lockouts when all you have to do is go to one of the dozens of streaming websites that have every game from every sport in HD?
    Quality, simplicity, and reliability. I’m not teaching my kids to pirate streams on websites full of ads of tits and cocks. Or god forbid install a “flash update” to watch.

I am not familiar with this stuff... What site can I stream a Jays game from In real time from outside the blackout area?

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Quality, simplicity, and reliability. I’m not teaching my kids to pirate streams on websites full of ads of tits and cocks. Or god forbid install a “flash update” to watch.
    Fair enough, I guess if you're just googling random streams you might run into that sort of thing but there are plenty of sites with none of those issues. Some even work on iOS. Most are 1080P/60 though I don't think any are 4K.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Question for the more familiar with VPN’s peanut gallery…

So apparently I can basically use an Apple TV as a STB for my Optik tv service. Not perfect but it seems to get the job done.

It seems to key in on my network/ip that I am a Telus optik customer with SSO and just works.

Now I’m not much into scamming service, but does anyone know if I can’t setup a virtual backhaul through a VPN to my home network and watch optik on an Apple TV at another property? Would be nice to be able to catch the odd game here and there at the lake especially when we are there in the winter. We don’t have cable or Telus service even available there.

Yea I could always subscribe to nhl etc. But I already pay for optik.

Anyone know if this would work?
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Question for the more familiar with VPN’s peanut gallery…

So apparently I can basically use an Apple TV as a STB for my Optik tv service. Not perfect but it seems to get the job done.

It seems to key in on my network/ip that I am a Telus optik customer with SSO and just works.

Now I’m not much into scamming service, but does anyone know if I can’t setup a virtual backhaul through a VPN to my home network and watch optik on an Apple TV at another property? Would be nice to be able to catch the odd game here and there at the lake especially when we are there in the winter. We don’t have cable or Telus service even available there.

Yea I could always subscribe to nhl etc. But I already pay for optik.

Anyone know if this would work?
    I just tried connecting to a VPN server in Vancouver and was able to play stuff on Optik on my phone, so I can't see why it wouldn't work. There were a few channels that had a message that say they won't play unless you're on your home network.