Quantcast
Get ready for the bailout - Air Transat merger with Air Canada cancelled - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Get ready for the bailout - Air Transat merger with Air Canada cancelled

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Either Canada is a place it’s worth running an airline in, or it’s not.

Some Canadian shitholes just need to cut the entitlement and realize that their 200 dollar flights to cancun don’t go nearly far enough to justify their existent. Pretending to matter is such a Canadian falacy.
    The trick would be how to get this into effect. Liberals are never fans of reducing government interference, and I don't think the Conservatives are going to love the idea of telling the majority of their voters that they don't matter and need to move to the big city

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

The sooner people figure out they don’t matter as a general statement the better.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

The sooner people figure out they don’t matter as a general statement the better.
    Hopefully the message starts with consumers, then things will start making a lot more sense to people.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by kertejud2 View Post
    Hopefully the message starts with taxpayers, then things will start making a lot more sense to people.
    Fixed

My Ride
    Pushbroom

Quote Originally Posted by kertejud2 View Post
    Why doesn't WestJet run a LAX-NYC route (maybe see what deal they can get from EWR if JFK is too busy)? Or LAX-SFO? Enough demand to try and get a competitive route in there, provide some cheaper alternatives, not be so reliant on the Canadian market.
    The same reason why United can’t run a Toronto-Vancouver route. It’s a fifth freedom route.

But don’t tell that to killramos, he seems to think that if AC and WJ go tits up, there would be some American airline with a “sustainable business model” ready to swoop in. Never mind that US airlines got billions more than Canadian ones in terms of government assistance.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx Mazda View Post
    The same reason why United can’t run a Toronto-Vancouver route. It’s a fifth freedom route.

But don’t tell that to killramos, he seems to think that if AC and WJ go tits up, there would be some American airline with a “sustainable business model” ready to swoop in. Never mind that US airlines got billions more than Canadian ones in terms of government assistance.
    Why would United going tits up eliminate demand for a Toronto/ Vancouver route?

My Ride
    Pushbroom

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Why would United going tits up eliminate demand for a Toronto/ Vancouver route?
    It wouldn’t. They aren’t allowed to fly domestically within Canada. Just like a Canadian airline isn’t allowed to fly domestically within the USA. Some exemptions apply, such as NHL charter flights etc.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

So your big solution is throw up your hands in the air and throw money at Air Canada? Despite the fact that even after a year of their business being shut down they don’t even need it?

“We need to protect Air Canada with more government because government has made us require Air Canada”

I think we need to rename Stockholm syndrome to Canadian syndrome.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    ute

It wouldn’t. They aren’t allowed to fly domestically within Canada. Just like a Canadian airline isn’t allowed to fly domestically within the USA. Some exemptions apply, such as NHL charter flights etc.
    If there is a demand for that route, someone will service that demand. There is no benefit to forcing that supplier to be "Canadian". Let foreign airlines subsidized by their govt bring their services to Canada. The winner is the Canadian consumer.

So your big solution is throw up your hands in the air and throw money at Air Canada? Despite the fact that even after a year of their business being shut down they don’t even need it?

“We need to protect Air Canada with more government because government has made us require Air Canada”

I think we need to rename Stockholm syndrome to Canadian syndrome.
    We're just emulating the U.S. The real Canadian syndrome.

They bailout their airline industry, we follow. Gotta keep the producers happy.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

So we have to give Air Canada money because Donald Trump made us? Anyone else you want to blame for our industry sucking?

fact.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I'm super excited for when we bail out our coal miners because China said so.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm super excited for when we bail out our coal miners because China said so.
    I think I’m really onto something with the Russia China test.

fact.

My Ride
    ute

Hey guyz we can only have free markets if the Americans say we are allowed.

So we have to give Air Canada money because Donald Trump made us? Anyone else you want to blame for our industry sucking?
    Does our industry particularly suck? Seems like it’s going about the same as their competitors.

If there is a demand for that route, someone will service that demand. There is no benefit to forcing that supplier to be "Canadian". Let foreign airlines subsidized by their govt bring their services to Canada. The winner is the Canadian consumer.
    Maybe in some cases the consumer wins, but in others they don’t. United would love to come in and fly just the profitable Vancouver to Toronto route. However they have no interest in running the smaller unprofitable ones. If the government removed protectionism and allowed foreign carriers to take away market share on Canadian airline bread and butter routes, many small communities would see their air service price skyrocket or cease to exist.
    Originally posted by InRich
    I think it should be a MINIMUM payment of 20% across the board for any kinda house. Who can't save 20% nowadays, just stop eating out, drive a japanese shit box, and save, its not hard.. have some fucking discipline. Half you niggers shouldn't even be in the houses you live in now.

we can't all drive X5Ms

Hey guyz we can only have free markets if the Americans say we are allowed.
    Ah yes the free market solution of having a government subsidized company come in and dominate a market. Funny how saving a few bucks is enough to get you to become a communist

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by Antonito View Post
    Ah yes the free market solution of having a government subsidized company come in and dominate a market. Funny how saving a few bucks is enough to get you to become a communist
    If a foreign firm, subsidized by their gov't/taxpayers, wants to enter the market in Canada, then I would have no problem with that. That's a transfer of wealth from foreign citizens to our citizens.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by 71/454 View Post
    Maybe in some cases the consumer wins, but in others they don’t. United would love to come in and fly just the profitable Vancouver to Toronto route. However they have no interest in running the smaller unprofitable ones. If the government removed protectionism and allowed foreign carriers to take away market share on Canadian airline bread and butter routes, many small communities would see their air service price skyrocket or cease to exist.
    Why should a consumer of a Van-Tor flight be forced to subsidize the flights of others?

My Ride
    Pushbroom

No they won’t. They can’t. It’s against the law, like I said above (with certain exceptions.) It’s the same reason AC or WJ can’t launch a LA-Fort Lauderdale route. If it’s entirely within another country, it’s verboten for a foreign carrier to fly that flight. It’s not just the USA and Canada either. It’s applied globally by the international air transport association. (IATA)

So, that leaves only another Canadian carrier to come in and start serving routes. There are already dozens of smaller airlines doing that.

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 15 ... LastLast