Quantcast
Bye bye Nenshi! - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Bye bye Nenshi!

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

Quote Originally Posted by davidI View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So funny seeing the responses here vs. on Reddit where it seems the r/Calgary thread is full of Nenshi fan girls.

I wonder if their perspective will change when they have to start paying taxes.
    OH yeah r/calgary has always been a Nenshi circle jerk.
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    And go from being king of shit palace to a nobody MP from Alberta?

Why.
    If the party forms a government, he'd be made a cabinet minister, which would bring policy influence and be a nice raise on being mayor. The low end risk is only getting paid slightly less than being mayor but longer base term and get to gladhand with more connections for a public speaking circuit later.

Might as well ask "Why would somebody look to take a higher paying job with better benefits at a bigger company with room to advance?"

Quote Originally Posted by kertejud2 View Post
    If the party forms a government, he'd be made a cabinet minister, which would bring policy influence and be a nice raise on being mayor. The low end risk is only getting paid slightly less than being mayor but longer base term and get to gladhand with more connections for a public speaking circuit later.

Might as well ask "Why would somebody look to take a higher paying job with better benefits at a bigger company with room to advance?"
    On the other side of the coin, what are your thoughts around a backbencher MP like Michelle Rempel leaving Ottawa and running for mayor? Would that be a “demotion” for her?

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

Quote Originally Posted by MalibuStacy View Post
    Outing myself as usual, but I am gonna miss our purple giant. I am often opposite to most of the pro-conservative beyond.ca, I approved of much of what Nenshi did, one of the few government officials I have actually really liked.
    you're not alone, most of us are just smart enough to stay quiet so we don't get shanked. lol
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    On the other side of the coin, what are your thoughts around a backbencher MP like Michelle Rempel leaving Ottawa and running for mayor? Would that be a “demotion” for her?
    For somebody like Rempel, yes. She has a job for life being the MP representing Oklahoma. Just drink wine, spew whatever gets the base going, get donations for the party ensuring she'll never get challenged for the seat, repeat. Doesn't have to engage with a single constituent if she doesn't want to, doesn't even need to be present in the city. As mayor she'd need to actually work to get elected and re-elected and need to engage constantly and actually live here regualrly enough to chair all the committees and run council meetings.

Going from a conservative Calgary MP to anything municipal is a massive step back in job security and a big increase in work. Not sure why anybody would do it. Rempel also isn't a backbencher, she's a former cabinet minister and shadow cabinet minister, and has her own brand within the party. An actual backbencher, maybe a single-term MP without much prospects who is disillusioned by the lack of influence could see it as something, but still doubtful.
    Last edited by kertejud2; 04-07-2021 at 08:52 AM.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Does this having anything to do with the recent lawsuits?

Quote Originally Posted by Thaco View Post
    you're not alone, most of us are just smart enough to stay quiet so we don't get shanked. lol
    Found them boys! Get your shanking sticks!
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by schurchill39 View Post
    Does this having anything to do with the recent lawsuits?
    10 years in a gig is a long ass time. I doubt his heart was in it even before the lawsuits. But I bet that finding people willing to put up $ to front him for another run is probably a lot harder this time around.

And it won't be easy picking up after COVID is done.

Quote Originally Posted by kertejud2 View Post
    For somebody like Rempel, yes. She has a job for life being the MP representing Oklahoma. Just drink wine, spew whatever gets the base going, get donations for the party ensuring she'll never get challenged for the seat, repeat. Doesn't have to engage with a single constituent if she doesn't want to, doesn't even need to be present in the city. As mayor she'd need to actually work to get elected and re-elected and need to engage constantly and actually live here regualrly enough to chair all the committees and run council meetings.

Going from a conservative Calgary MP to anything municipal is a massive step back in job security and a big increase in work. Not sure why anybody would do it. Rempel also isn't a backbencher, she's a former cabinet minister and shadow cabinet minister, and has her own brand within the party. An actual backbencher, maybe a single-term MP without much prospects who is disillusioned by the lack of influence could see it as something, but still doubtful.
    Good points. Someone in one of my group chats mentioned her and I thought it kinda made sense but forgot she was a cabinet minister before.

What exactly is the problem people have with Nenshi? Residential taxes are on par with other large Canadian cities and he's done a pretty good job of developing downtown/east village/central library and provided strong leadership during the flood/recessions/covid. Been against urban sprawl and home builders trying to influence city council decisions (sprawl is terrible for cities and arguably puts more stress on city finances than anything else). I get that he comes off as arrogant sometimes but he's had a successful run as mayor under the circumstances and going out on his own terms.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

10 years, will be 11 by the time he leaves, is a long time to be the public face of anything. Hockey coaches don't last that long, CEO of a public company doesn't often last that long. You can say a lot of things about Nahed Nenshi, but he knew how to run a campaign, and he was good at communicating his message. He won three times with pretty respectable margins.

I disagree with him on many things, but I salute anyone who goes into public service the way he did.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan View Post
    What exactly is the problem people have with Nenshi? Residential taxes are on par with other large Canadian cities and he's done a pretty good job of developing downtown/east village/central library and provided strong leadership during the flood/recessions/covid. Been against urban sprawl and home builders trying to influence city council decisions (sprawl is terrible for cities and arguably puts more stress on city finances than anything else). I get that he comes off as arrogant sometimes but he's had a successful run as mayor under the circumstances and going out on his own terms.
    It seemed that the only way to revitalize the "inner city" was to substantially raise property taxes.

So the area that the usual property tax buffoons keep saying is the net contributor really isn't.

Good jorb.

It does goes to show that any nonsensical message can be bleated about and accepted.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan View Post
    I will admit he’s done a decent job. My problem with him is the approach. Would there have been a better person for the job? Probably not. I still don’t like him haha.

I do feel we went a little too far in urban development. Yes, sprawl is terrible for sustainability, but forcing it down did not change people’s desire for more space. I feel bad for condo owners, but hey they have a ton of amenities to enjoy at everyone’s expense. I guess I should like him for where we’re at now since SFH prices and demand has skyrocketed haha.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    B16 Spec V, 97 SC400, 15 Caravan

The problem is that Nenshi is a loudmouth who has been a terrible chairman at council meetings. He has not worked to build consensus and he's part of the reason that this Council had to go to sessions on how to work together.

He is responsible for the discourse we now find ourselves in. Good mayor's manage the council and make sure everyone feels heard and maintains harmony while steering the ship.

He has repeatedly shown he cannot do this. He does the same thing in negotiating with outside parties. He initially blew up negotiations with the Flames and he did not manage the olympics properly at all. He can't get along with the Province either and negotiate better that way. He can't get away from his positions for the betterment of the city.

I could go on. The only positive side of his personality is that he is an authoritarian so he dealt well with the flood. He's been riding that wave for the past 8 years, it wore out 3 years ago.

He burned a lot of bridges in this job. He's always been an a-hole and a creep, so that's not really a surprise.

He also fostered the culture of rampant sexual harassment that goes on at the CoC.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    He also fostered the culture of rampant sexual harassment that goes on at the CoC.
    So he's a shoe-in with JT.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I love the rhetoric about “pushing back on developers” while approving dozens of new developments a year.

Has sprawl slowed down at all under Nenshi? He’s been the biggest advocate for trying to absorb all of Calgary’s surrounding communities into his little fiefdom.

I mean I guess he got into a little libel fight with a developer, pretty sure that has more to do with him being an asshole who doesn’t play nice with others than a “push” back on developers.
    Last edited by killramos; 04-07-2021 at 10:35 AM.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Yeah but the streets are less wide.

A true win.

So does beyond want Farkas? Looks like Gondek is somewhat a continuation of what Nenshi has been doing. All the other candidates look to be a nuthouse.

Gondek's little pamphlet in the mail was full of vague talking points.

So I'm sure she'll win.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Gondek is a nutcase.

I could live with Farkas. Basically whoever advocates for firing the most City of Calgary employees. I welcome someone to propose cutting deeper than Farkas.

Drain the swamp.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast