Quantcast
Mustang Mach 1 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mustang Mach 1

Default Mustang Mach 1

Surprised there hasn't been a thread on this Mustang. The Mach 1 reviews are just coming out now, it looks like the NDA was lifted on Monday.

DEARBORN, Mich., June 16, 2020 – After a 17-year hiatus, the all-new Mustang Mach 1 fastback coupe makes its world premiere – becoming the modern pinnacle of style, handling and 5.0-liter V-8 pony car performance.

“Bold styling, great acceleration and speed – Mach 1 says it all,” said Jim Farley, Ford’s chief operating officer. “This is one of those special Mustangs that truly brings a smile to the faces of our owners, enthusiasts and fans – including me – so there’s never been a better time to bring back Mach 1 and have it go global too.”

Ford’s quest for speed began with Henry Ford in 1901 and the company’s roots within aerospace only furthered its desire to deliver quicker, faster and more powerful vehicles. Calling back Chuck Yeager’s feat becoming the first to break the sound barrier – Mach 1 – Ford delivered its original Mach 1 in 1969, setting 295 speed and endurance records in its first model year at the Bonneville Salt Flats. Thanks to its added handling capability, Mach 1 teams earned back-to-back SCCA Manufacturer’s Rally Championships in 1969 and 1970.

Like the original, the all-new Mach 1 bridges the gap between Mustang GT and Shelby® models, delivering V-8 power, unique functional aerodynamic enhancements, competition-capable suspension upgrades and a driver-focused cockpit.

All-new Mach 1 muscle

The all-new Mustang Mach 1 is set to become the most track-capable 5.0-liter Mustang ever, courtesy of a newly designed front end, plus Ford Performance parts from Mustang Shelby GT350 and Shelby GT500 models and an available Handling Package for greater at-limit handling.

Packing a specially calibrated 5.0-liter V8 engine that has a projected 480 horsepower at 7,000 rpm and 420 lb.-ft. of torque at 4,600 rpm, Mach 1 is a fitting celebration of a nameplate born more than 50 years ago.

Integrated into the Mach 1 engine are revised Shelby GT350 components including the intake manifold, oil filter adapter and engine oil cooler, increasing engine oil cooling capability by 50 percent.

The all-new version leans on decades of Ford Performance learnings, wearing a uniquely crafted front end for aerodynamic efficiency and a host of Ford Performance parts that help celebrate its iconic heritage. Mach 1 comes standard with a Tremec™ 3160 6-speed manual transmission from the Shelby GT350. For the first time, Ford has outfitted the system with rev-matching and the transmission is paired with the GT350 oil cooler system and Mustang GT’s twin-disc clutch and short-throw shifter.

Drivers can also opt for an available 10-speed SelectShift™ automatic transmission with an upgraded torque converter and unique calibration that enables optimizing torque capability, shift character and overall enhanced performance. A second air-to-oil cooler increases cooling capacity by 75 percent.

Recapturing Mach 1 style

The all-new Mach 1’s grille harkens back to the original with a deep 3-D mesh, shark-nosed section and faux lamp elements. Flanking the fascia are new side grilles below each turn signal lamp. A low-gloss Magnetic pony badge is centered on the grille. Low-gloss magnetic and black accents throughout the vehicle provide a premium look while staying true to Mach 1’s bold, muscular heritage, including low-gloss Magnetic mirror caps and rear spoiler.

New 19-inch x 9.5-inch, and 19-inch x 10-inch five-spoke Tarnished Dark-painted aluminum wheels are a modern version of the classic Magnum 500 style wheels. Handling Package vehicles come standard with unique, wider 19-inch x 10.5-inch front, and 19-inch x 11-inch rear Tarnished Dark-painted aluminum wheels.

The Handling Package also includes a larger unique higher downforce front splitter, new front wheel lip moldings, and a low-gloss Magnetic swing spoiler with a Gurney flap and rear tire spats from Shelby GT500.

Satin Black side and hood stripes are included with reflective accent stripes in any of three colors: Red, White and Orange (Appearance Package only). Exterior color options include the Mach 1 exclusive Fighter Jet Gray (Appearance Package only), as well as Iconic Silver, Shadow Black, Oxford White, Velocity Blue, Twister Orange, Race Red and Grabber Yellow.

The interior features a unique Dark Spindrift instrument panel with aluminum accents. Ebony seats with an accent stripe hint at Mach 1 heritage in cars equipped with a leather interior. Other interior upgrades include new door sill plates, an updated splash screen on the 12.3-inch all-LCD instrument cluster, a white cue ball shift knob, and engraved badging that displays the vehicle’s unique chassis number.

Mach 1: Built to perform

The Mach 1 engineering and design teams worked in tandem to develop a front end unique to the Mach 1 persona that also meets the high aerodynamic demands of the engine, transmission and braking systems.

A new two-piece upper grille, lower grille and valance, and new side grilles, all contribute to Mach 1’s signature look and more demanding aero and cooling performance requirements.

A front splitter optimized to the fascia shape improves track performance and provides a more aggressive appearance, while a matched rear spoiler works in concert to create ideal lift balance. Mach 1 features 22 percent more downforce than a Mustang GT with Performance Pack Level 1 and the downforce improvement jumps to approximately 150 percent with the Handling Package.

To enhance track endurance, the team added two side heat exchangers – one to cool engine oil, the other transmission oil – as well as a rear axle cooling system and lower diffuser from Shelby GT500.

A new underbelly pan, the vehicle’s most aerodynamically important upgrade, extends 20 inches further rearward than on a Mustang GT Performance Pack to smooth and increase the airflow under the front of the car. Large underwing features in the belly pan increase downforce, while special belly pan airfoils in the brake cooling ramps improve downforce and assist the brake cooling flow – a first for Mustang.

To improve ride and handling, Mach 1 features the latest MagneRide calibration, a stiffer steering I-shaft, new EPAS calibration, stiffer sway bars and front springs, a brake booster from the Mustang GT Performance Pack Level 2, 9.5-inch/10-inch split fitment wheels with Michelin PS4 tires, a rear subframe with stiffer bushings and a rear toe-link from Shelby GT500.

The all-new and limited-edition 2021 Mustang Mach 1 will arrive in U.S. and Canadian Ford dealerships in the spring of 2021.
    Last edited by Toms-SC; 04-08-2021 at 02:29 PM.
    Was the #1 Forum Warrior

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Nice link.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Nice link.
    I used to be good at forums.
    Was the #1 Forum Warrior

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

I'm sure it's nice but I'm getting a little Mustang fatigue. How many variants do they really need?

Quote Originally Posted by heavyD View Post
    I'm sure it's nice but I'm getting a little Mustang fatigue. How many variants do they really need?
    Enough to make money and keep interest in the platform, I guess. The Bullet and GT350 are discontinued, leaving the Mach 1 and GT500.
    Was the #1 Forum Warrior

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

For people who cannot afford a low KM GT350 but also don't want to mod ta GT for whatever reason (warranty, not from factory, etc.)?

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    For people who cannot afford a low KM GT350 but also don't want to mod their own GT for whatever reason?
    And want the 10-speed automatic with all the factory upgrades with no impact on the warranty.

This is why I placed a factory order for one last Monday. Plus, racing stripes.
    Was the #1 Forum Warrior

Can anyone provide a TL;DR on what is different from a standard GT? Is it purely aesthetics?

My Ride
    *The First*

I always disliked the old Mach-1 fastbacks but I know a lot of people slide off their seats for them.
    To me, this one looks very little like the OG. Side view is very Nissan 350Z with a touch of Porsche.

Quote Originally Posted by beyond_ban View Post
    Can anyone provide a TL;DR on what is different from a standard GT? Is it purely aesthetics?
    I think it is best to frame it as a fully optimized GT. Missing on the chart is that the Mach 1 has underbody aero.

Last edited by Toms-SC; 04-08-2021 at 03:38 PM.
    Was the #1 Forum Warrior

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

So is this kindof like a boss 302?
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    *The First*

"Rear differential cooler"?
    That's not real, is it? Aside from fins stuck to the backing plate?

*goes to look up Google stuff...
    *gets more "Egg Sandwich"...

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    "Rear differential cooler"?
    That's not real, is it? Aside from fins stuck to the backing plate?

*goes to look up Google stuff...
    *gets more "Egg Sandwich"...
    It's a real thing.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by BerserkerCatSplat View Post
    That’s gonna be expensive when the axle falls off in typical mustang fashion.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

That’s gonna be expensive when the axle falls off in typical mustang fashion.
    From being drifted into a curb, i presume.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

If it’s anything like the GT350 you’d better watch out for a Mustang dumping fluids around the road course from all its crappy coolers leaking...

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

From being drifted into a curb, i presume.
    Naturally

fact.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Notice that the Mach 1 doesn't get the shitty MT82 transmission.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

So it's a fastback? Is the regular mustang a sedan?
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Pushbroom

From being drifted into a crowd, i presume.
    Edited for clarity.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast