Kia EV6 Debut - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Kia EV6 Debut

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

That's 5 times too many.

My Ride
    *The First*

I was just there for NYE. It's so incredibly different. I was pulled from my igloo in the darkness (6 months of darkness "way" up there) and not only mugged, but also raped.
    Only 87 octane available and way, way more realtors everywhere. It was truly different and awful.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The GT isn’t in there yet. Range is officially 332km. Probably can’t make it to Edmonton without a recharge if there’s a headwind.

It’s basically a good city only car, and that’s it.
    Add winter temp and keeping pace with everyone at 140kph, you won't even reach Red Deer.

So can you turn your reservation spot for a profit still, or just walk away?

My Ride
    Nissan x2

Lol that range wouldn't even cover a round trip to a Rider game without sitting at a charging station. $60k for a city-only commuter? That's bananas.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    I think he refer to the side camera mirrors. I have yet to have a single camera fail on me due to temperature. Age and typical electrical gremlins, sure.

That said, anyone check their mirrors any more?
    This is my first winter with my Model 3 and it handled that cold snap like a champ outside of the reduced range which was expected.

Quote Originally Posted by jutes View Post
    Lol that range wouldn't even cover a round trip to a Rider game without sitting at a charging station. $60k for a city-only commuter? That's bananas.
    The thing is that EV's really are brilliant city commuter cars. You can drive to work, hit the gym after, and plug it in and forget it when you get home. You just get in and drive all the time with no sitting in a cold car idling it as they precondition for when you leave to and from work. No worry about ensuring oil temperatures are high enough for spirited driving, etc. That part of ownership has made a believer out of me. However I don't think I will even bother tempting fate and using this car for travelling. Weather conditions and higher speeds have such a negative effect on battery capacity that I simply don't want or need the stress of making it to the next charger and hoping there's not a big lineup. We are still in the early years of EV and it's just a matter of knowing what they do well and what they don't as they are not yet the total package.

My Ride
    Nissan x2

Im ok with my few thousand dollar POS pathfinder for city use. I’ll never see any cost savings in my lifetime to offset an EV. If I could pick up an EV for $5000 then the conversation would be different.

Honestly, at a 3k price point you are right, you'll never see cost savings.

However, if you're looking at spending what cars/suvs with less than 100k actually cost these days I think there is some pretty significant savings. I went to a plug-in hybrid for my most recent car and would have spent the equivalent amount on an ICE car. The fuel savings between my past ICE and my plug-in hybrid is over $400/month. My electricity bill hasn't gone up a penny either since making the switch.

My Ride
    *The First*

Electric cars have always been way more ideally suited for city use. It's also where the delta in fuel economy is the highest.
    They are the Koodo Mobile of cars.

*or whichever the fuck cell company is the one that only works in major cities

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    Or maybe there is 2 versions, one with a lot less power?
    *gasp* a car that has different trim levels with different powertrain options? Surely this isn't revolutionary news. I'm pretty sure this has been the approach for every car produced in our lifetimes.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Add winter temp and keeping pace with everyone at 140kph, you won't even reach Red Deer.

So can you turn your reservation spot for a profit still, or just walk away?
    I don’t care about profit not worth my time. If anyone still wants one, they can take it from me before I officially bow out and ask for a refund.

Quote Originally Posted by heavyD View Post
    This is my first winter with my Model 3 and it handled that cold snap like a champ outside of the reduced range which was expected.

The thing is that EV's really are brilliant city commuter cars. You can drive to work, hit the gym after, and plug it in and forget it when you get home. You just get in and drive all the time with no sitting in a cold car idling it as they precondition for when you leave to and from work. No worry about ensuring oil temperatures are high enough for spirited driving, etc. That part of ownership has made a believer out of me. However I don't think I will even bother tempting fate and using this car for travelling. Weather conditions and higher speeds have such a negative effect on battery capacity that I simply don't want or need the stress of making it to the next charger and hoping there's not a big lineup. We are still in the early years of EV and it's just a matter of knowing what they do well and what they don't as they are not yet the total package.
    Excellent summary. I really wish I had more garage space, definitely would’ve gotten the ev6 GT as a pure city DD. With only room for 2 cars, and routine split trips on the same weekend, the best we can muster is PHEV. We’re doing decent now with both cars being hybrids.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Have a Outlander PHEV coming. Wife will be the primary user, she won’t ever need to put gas in it to get from work to home. Choice is limited for any plug in that seats 7. I know the Outlander 3rd row is tiny, but it’ll haul kids. Probably would’ve gone for a Pacifica Hybrid if it offered AWD, we really liked it. PHEV is the best of both worlds IMO.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Dynasty 88 View Post
    Have a Outlander PHEV coming. Wife will be the primary user, she won’t ever need to put gas in it to get from work to home. Choice is limited for any plug in that seats 7. I know the Outlander 3rd row is tiny, but it’ll haul kids. Probably would’ve gone for a Pacifica Hybrid if it offered AWD, we really liked it. PHEV is the best of both worlds IMO.
    Even with heat pump, heard engine will fire whenever it's -5c out. So don't expect pure EV experience in winter.

Which dealer and how much over MSRP? Platinum want $72K.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Dynasty 88 View Post
    Have an Outlander PHEV coming. Wife will be the primary user, she won’t ever need to put gas in it to get from work to home. Choice is limited for any plug in that seats 7. I know the Outlander 3rd row is tiny, but it’ll haul kids. Probably would’ve gone for a Pacifica Hybrid if it offered AWD, we really liked it. PHEV is the best of both worlds IMO.
    Find a Toyota dealer and put your name down for a Sienna Prime. It’s probably happening in the next couple of years as the Sienna platform is engineered to fit the PHEV drivetrain. The reviews for the RAV4 prime has been nothing but praise.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Last year's launch is the base model, and the GT Line model. This year it's the high performance GT model.

Pre launch 2 years ago, all they talked about was the 576hp GT model. That's when I put my deposit down.
    That makes sense. I know there was no 500+hp option when I was looking. It'll be great when battery technology catches up to the EV industry so something like this 576hp Kia will actually seem like a reasonable purchase getting 500+km to a charge. Although for my current dadlife I'll be more interested in something that is 300hp and 1000km charge.

Quote Originally Posted by gpomp View Post
    From Kia website:
    Yeah that's about what I recall. So right in line with the industry. The scary thing is what does it get in the real world? Manufacturers essentially lie about fuel consumption numbers, as they are all based on perfect conditions that don't exist in real world. I imagine EV charge ranges are similar.

Quote Originally Posted by jonni44 View Post
    Honestly, at a 3k price point you are right, you'll never see cost savings.

However, if you're looking at spending what cars/suvs with less than 100k actually cost these days I think there is some pretty significant savings. I went to a plug-in hybrid for my most recent car and would have spent the equivalent amount on an ICE car. The fuel savings between my past ICE and my plug-in hybrid is over $400/month. My electricity bill hasn't gone up a penny either since making the switch.
    Once you factor a battery replacement in and the rapidly increasing cost on electricity, it might be a different equation. Be interesting to see where things go in the next 10 years. But even with the vague foresight, I'd probably get an EV myself if all I needed was a city commuter.

Quote Originally Posted by bjstare View Post
    *gasp* a car that has different trim levels with different powertrain options? Surely this isn't revolutionary news. I'm pretty sure this has been the approach for every car produced in our lifetimes.
    Thanks for the pedantic misplaced comment. Very helpful.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4