Quantcast
A1 + B1 Not Running in Dual Channel - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A1 + B1 Not Running in Dual Channel

Default A1 + B1 Not Running in Dual Channel

Fairly stumped on this one. This is a somewhat new build. New mobo, old I7 10700K and 32gb of ram from other PC.

PC would not boot with all 4 sticks of ram in (BSOD). Found this by only trying 2 sticks in A2+B2. Everything was fine. Then enabled XMP, again everything fine.
    Went back again to try with 4 sticks with XMP enabled, would not boot.
    Turned XMP off. PC boots but CPUZ is showing that A1+B1 is running in single channel.

Could my CPU have a dead channel? I have not checked if I bent any pins... I really hope not! Could that be a cause? Could I have possibly over tightened the cooler?
    Last edited by Spoons; 04-12-2021 at 12:33 AM.

My Ride
    2011 Ralliart SB

Try a single stick in each slot and look for a failure.

If failing that I'd check for a bent pin, you wouldn't be the first person to Oops an install. After that you can re-tighten the cooler and knock off both potential issues.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

I dont see evidence for RAM stick issue isolation in your post - unless you didnt mention it?

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

32gb can be finicky for a lot of boards to run and may need to change things like timings, voltage or something else.

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I dont see evidence for RAM stick issue isolation in your post - unless you didnt mention it?
    Doh I did not I only just tried two sticks in A2+B2. I will isolate when I get home from work tonight.

I will note though that all ram did pass multiple passes with memtest.
    Last edited by Spoons; 04-12-2021 at 02:39 PM.

There it is.

Tried one by one. Found one stick of ram would hang up just a touch more at dram at startup. Then tried that pair in A2+B2. Sure enough, they run in single channel as well when placed there. I’m guessing the one stick is just running a touch enough off from the other that they won’t run in dual channel. No idea why I didn’t try that before.

Now I’m concerned I just replaced my GPU thinking that was originally the problem (was having black screen flashes on old build and crashes running unigine). Or it was a combination of both. At least I lucked out and scored a 3070 out of the whole ordeal.

Secondary issue. For whatever reason I can not get the PC to boot with two m.2 drives installed. Likewise even if I plug in a USB stick and try to start the PC is will not boot.

My Ride

- are all the sticks identical?
    - what boot error message are you getting? UEFI related?

The two sticks in question were a pair, but guessing that one was just operating a bit out of spec and when applying an XMP profile it was giving errors. I will RMA the ram.

As for the two M.2 drives (in case that is what you are referring too) they are identical. No error message, just black screen (bios logo won’t even show).

Quote Originally Posted by Spoons View Post
    Secondary issue. For whatever reason I can not get the PC to boot with two m.2 drives installed. Likewise even if I plug in a USB stick and try to start the PC is will not boot.
    The easiest way is to just put one in first, though that can sometimes be annoying as often the second slot is under the GPU so you need to pull that to reinstall the second one. When the only SSD in the system is the one you want, sometimes you can avoid issues.

Can you get into your bios at all? Does your mobo have a dual bios switch? You probably just need to reset the boot order.

You could also pull the CMOS battery for 5 mins and that might let you get back into the BIOS, but it will reset any settings you made.

It’s a Z590 board. So there is a PCIe 4.0 slot above card. I am not using that as I do not have an 11th gen intel. I’m using M.2_2 slot and then trying to install second NVMe stick in M.2_3. But I see that shares with SATA. Could it be possible that I can only run a SATA M.2 drive in there and not NVMe?

It looks like I’m simply just not getting video signal. Either from GPU or onboard graphics. So while I can probably get to bios I just can’t see it. The PC posts fine.

Board is ASUS Z590 Tuf Gaming.

My Ride

its a PITA, but install one m.2 at a time in each of their own slot and POST - if both show up independently in BIOS, but not installed together, I would open up a support ticket.

It’s a Z590 board. So there is a PCIe 4.0 slot above card. I am not using that as I do not have an 11th gen intel. I’m using M.2_2 slot and then trying to install second NVMe stick in M.2_3. But I see that shares with SATA. Could it be possible that I can only run a SATA M.2 drive in there and not NVMe?

It looks like I’m simply just not getting video signal. Either from GPU or onboard graphics. So while I can probably get to bios I just can’t see it. The PC posts fine.

Board is ASUS Z590 Tuf Gaming.
    As I suggested above, put a single M.2 drive in and nothing else, and see if you can get it to boot. With only one drive in the board, it's a lot easier to figure out what's wrong if it still doesn't work.

If it won't even boot, pull the CMOS battery for 5-10 mins, replace it, and try again (you will lose any previous BIOS settings).

On that board, you can use all 3 M.2 slots but using slots 2 and/or 3 will disable 1 SATA port each due to shared bandwidth depending on how they're used. You an use slot 2 without disabling a SATA port provided the m.2 drive itself is not SATA. That shouldn't be affecting your ability to boot into BIOS. You should also use the slots in order, so if you have two drives, you should use slots 1 & 2 rather than 2 & 3.

If you can see the mobo logo on your screen doing post, you have a video signal. If not, double check that your monitor is actually plugged into your GPU and not your mobo's video out.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 04-14-2021 at 01:43 PM.

Both drives work independent just fine. It’s only when both are installed I get no video signal. It is posting, and booting, as far as I can tell due to mobo lights,, it’s just simply the monitor isn’t getting a signal. Cables are in fine as I’ve used the PC with only one installed.

I can’t install in 1&2 as 1 is pcie 4.0 slot and you need an 11th gen processor to install a drive there as per the manual.

What I’m thinking is it is an issue with PCIe lanes and that’s messing up the GPU. But then again, the on board video should work just fine.

Either way I just gave up with it. The PC runs just fine with one drive installed, and honest two NVMe drives are probably a waste of money anyways, so I returned the second one. I’ll pick up a SATA SSD one of these days if I really need more than a TB.

My Ride
    21 CX5 GT Turbo

Both drives work independent just fine. It’s only when both are installed I get no video signal. It is posting, and booting, as far as I can tell due to mobo lights,, it’s just simply the monitor isn’t getting a signal. Cables are in fine as I’ve used the PC with only one installed.

I can’t install in 1&2 as 1 is pcie 4.0 slot and you need an 11th gen processor to install a drive there as per the manual.

What I’m thinking is it is an issue with PCIe lanes and that’s messing up the GPU. But then again, the on board video should work just fine.

Either way I just gave up with it. The PC runs just fine with one drive installed, and honest two NVMe drives are probably a waste of money anyways, so I returned the second one. I’ll pick up a SATA SSD one of these days if I really need more than a TB.
    Before you go too crazy, try new cables to your monitor, I had similar issues and it was all due to the video cable. Even youtube tech channel guy had issues with his cable too and he did a lot of troubleshooting before swapping to different cables.

After having an insane amount of issues, I just ended up returning the 590 chipset board and went back to a 490.

Still having ram issues though. I was an idiot and the ram was always running in dual channel. The issue is once I enable XMP profile, it causes an insane amount of system instability. If I used 2 sticks and use XMP, no problems. But as soon as I add 4 sticks with XMP it is game over.

Getting hella frusterated with this.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

After having an insane amount of issues, I just ended up returning the 590 chipset board and went back to a 490.

Still having ram issues though. I was an idiot and the ram was always running in dual channel. The issue is once I enable XMP profile, it causes an insane amount of system instability. If I used 2 sticks and use XMP, no problems. But as soon as I add 4 sticks with XMP it is game over.

Getting hella frusterated with this.
    As I said before with 32gb of ram you are going to have to manually play with timings and voltage.

This is going to be a manual process.to make things work as some boards have no issues and others are finicky.

It’s weird that it worked fine for months then all of a sudden cause stability issues. Could this just be due to the parts aging a bit and then not cooperating anymore?

It’s weird that it worked fine for months then all of a sudden cause stability issues. Could this just be due to the parts aging a bit and then not cooperating anymore?
    Are you sure the ram you swapped in from the other system is compatible with the new motherboard/cpu? Have you checked for BIOS updates and chipset updates? Electronics don't really age and that shouldn't matter. If the system works fine without XMP I would just tune the timings until you're close to the suggested XMP settings. You should be able to do this by hand.

Yes they are. But this issue was also plaguing my old build with that mobo as well and it was compatible. Was running XMP on all 4 and just one day just became unstable. It happened slowly overtime though, I noticed some hardware errors were popping up but it went away for awhile then all of a sudden it just said nah.

I think I’m just going to sell the 4 sticks with some of my old components and go with two sticks to save myself the issues.

I’ve been reading up though that 4 sticks over clocked can cause strain on the CPU memory controller. Any chance that I may have damaged it and that’s why it isn’t work? Or would something be more obvious if I damaged my memory controller?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast