Quantcast
A1 + B1 Not Running in Dual Channel - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: A1 + B1 Not Running in Dual Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Spoons View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes they are. But this issue was also plaguing my old build with that mobo as well and it was compatible. Was running XMP on all 4 and just one day just became unstable. It happened slowly overtime though, I noticed some hardware errors were popping up but it went away for awhile then all of a sudden it just said nah.

I think I’m just going to sell the 4 sticks with some of my old components and go with two sticks to save myself the issues.

I’ve been reading up though that 4 sticks over clocked can cause strain on the CPU memory controller. Any chance that I may have damaged it and that’s why it isn’t work? Or would something be more obvious if I damaged my memory controller?
    Did you ever run a proper burn in/stress test on the original system? It's worth it to run Memtest86+ or Memtest64+ on any new install to make sure you didn't set the RAM into an unstable configuration. I'm wondering if maybe the binning RAM was just marginal from the get go. I'd be really curious if swapping in a different set of RAM solves your issues. Other possibility is there is one stick which is marginal/bad and when you happen to do something which consumes enough ram and pages into that stick then you start to have issues.

I mean you can in theory damage something is you set the voltage to some crazy value and let it sit there for a while. Generally though it's pretty hard to damage things unless you're running the components way out of their normal thermal range. Did you ever check the BIOS XMP settings versus what the RAM was supposed to allow to see if they even lined up?

Everything ran memtest which I thought was odd, but then crazy instability in windows (if it even got there before BSOD on Windows boot).

I think you’re on to something with the binning. It was two 2x8GB Kits put together of Vengeance RGB Pro. One day just decided to say nah I feel like. XMP settings all lined up.

Anyways I’ve since moved on from it and sold those two kits and picked up 2x16gb Dominator Platinum. Ended up lucking out with Micron version and these thing is running absolutely like butter now. I’ll run memtest overnight to ensure stability, but I think we are in the clear. I did a couple hours in Aida64 as well and zero crashes.

Thanks everyone for all the help!!!

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

When you say memtest - you are talking about the bootable version and not the 'memtest' thats available in Windows 10?

Yeah bootable one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2