Quantcast
Motorhome Tires Class C E350 10/12/14 ply? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Motorhome Tires Class C E350 10/12/14 ply?

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

Default Motorhome Tires Class C E350 10/12/14 ply?

Wondering if anyone here can offer advice on Motorhome tires.

Parked on a scale with some contents in the septic tank, I'm around 12,400lbs. It has a hitch that I'm reluctant to tow with.

I've had two "12 ply" tires full on exploded while in transit at highway speeds. I imagine this is an age thing.

I'm wondering if it might be a good idea to go to a commercial 14 ply tire to avoid these issues going forward. I've given up on trying to get a softer ride out of the unit. Also, who might you recommend to supply/install? Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by teamPRO

howbout suck my black kettle...

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

I went from 10 to 14 ply when I had a blowout on my trailer. No regrets.

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No big issue running 90psi constantly?

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by CUG View Post
    No big issue running 90psi constantly?
    Not that I saw over about 6000km before I sold it. Most of the time had 2 cars inside it at about 10-11k lbs loaded.

It all comes down to how much weight you are carrying over the axles. You may not have had blowouts due to aged tires. More common are tire pressure issues. A tire too low on air relative the the weight being carried will generate a lot of heat build-up and if the tires are over heated then failure is common. You don't just want to run at maximum pressure either though if the actual trailer/vehicle load does not dictate it because then you start creating an issue the other way where the tire is running hot in the centre of the tread from excessive crowning because the weight being carried may not be enough to flatten that tire out properly spreading the weight out across the entire tread surface evenly.

It is always a fine line. Going up in plies can definitely be helpful if you do sometimes get near maximum ratings, but it may be totally unnecessary if you are not, and just managing your pressures better could be all you need.

Or your old tires could have been shit and cracking all over and all this means shit lol!

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    It all comes down to how much weight you are carrying over the axles. You may not have had blowouts due to aged tires. More common are tire pressure issues. A tire too low on air relative the the weight being carried will generate a lot of heat build-up and if the tires are over heated then failure is common. You don't just want to run at maximum pressure either though if the actual trailer/vehicle load does not dictate it because then you start creating an issue the other way where the tire is running hot in the centre of the tread from excessive crowning because the weight being carried may not be enough to flatten that tire out properly spreading the weight out across the entire tread surface evenly.

It is always a fine line. Going up in plies can definitely be helpful if you do sometimes get near maximum ratings, but it may be totally unnecessary if you are not, and just managing your pressures better could be all you need.

Or your old tires could have been shit and cracking all over and all this means shit lol!
    It's an older unit and seems heavy for the chassis size at that weight.

Do you do RV tires? I've got every tire pressure gauge type you can think of, and still have a bitch of a time checking the inside duals. Adding up the rating of each tire covered the total weight, but it's still sketch AF.

It is a bit of reading material to digest but check out this link from Toyo. Lots of good info in it!

https://www.toyotires.ca/sites/defau...ationtable.pdf

I can definitely get you tires but we do not work on motorhomes at our shop (limited space for what we do normally). If you are interested, message me what you are looking for size wise and I will wholesale you whatever you need cash and carry since you would need to pay a heavier duty shop to do the install. I can usually save a guy money doing it this way still.

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    It is a bit of reading material to digest but check out this link from Toyo. Lots of good info in it!

https://www.toyotires.ca/sites/defau...ationtable.pdf

I can definitely get you tires but we do not work on motorhomes at our shop (limited space for what we do normally). If you are interested, message me what you are looking for size wise and I will wholesale you whatever you need cash and carry since you would need to pay a heavier duty shop to do the install. I can usually save a guy money doing it this way still.
    Thanks a ton man. I'm gonna look that through. Yeah who wants to set up to deal with these pigs. Sad, it's a 460 with headers too

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by cug View Post
    it's a 460 with headers too
    ****like****
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Toyota Christopher Lambert

I got the tires replaced on an older motorhome I purchased not long ago, got 7 of these (1 spare) from Kal Tire who also did the install

https://sailuntire.ca/en/mrt/tires/S637/

Chinese tires but the rims on the unit are 17.5" which negates options outside of moving to a different rim. 16 Ply 215/75R17.5 is what we ended up going with that worked for spacing.

Was $1600 for 7 tires with installation.
    Last edited by 2Legit2Quit; 04-14-2021 at 12:56 PM.

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by 2Legit2Quit View Post
    I got the tires replaced on an older motorhome I purchased not long ago, got 7 of these (1 spare) from Kal Tire who also did the install

https://sailuntire.ca/en/mrt/tires/S637/

Chinese tires but the rims on the unit are 17.5" which negates options outside of moving to a different rim. 16 Ply 215/75R17.5 is what we ended up going with that worked for spacing.

Was $1600 for 7 tires with installation.
    how rough is the ride comparatively

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    Since he said RV, I'm assuming he is looking at more of a drive/steer tire than a radial trailer tire. Ply's don't mean much in the grand Scheme of things, it's overall construction. I do definitely prefer the "g" load range tires we have on our hydraulic dump trailer, but it's a better tire overall. Wish I remembered the brand.

I still haven't found a tire better than a Michelin LTX for towing short of going to a commercial michelin. All the hotshot drivers use them. Better wear, better ride, better durability, readily available.

Looks like the E class E350 dually can handle a LT245/75R16. 3042lb single load rating, 2778 dual with the Michelin.

Thats the tire for OP IMO, its a no brainer.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Hey @CUG have you got axle weights too? If you are 12,400 I'm guessing something like 2/3 of that is on the rear axle?
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by zechs View Post
    Since he said RV, I'm assuming he is looking at more of a drive/steer tire than a radial trailer tire. Ply's don't mean much in the grand Scheme of things, it's overall construction. I do definitely prefer the "g" load range tires we have on our hydraulic dump trailer, but it's a better tire overall. Wish I remembered the brand.

I still haven't found a tire better than a Michelin LTX for towing short of going to a commercial michelin. All the hotshot drivers use them. Better wear, better ride, better durability, readily available.

Looks like the E class E350 dually can handle a LT245/75R16. 3042lb single load rating, 2778 dual with the Michelin.

Thats the tire for OP IMO, its a no brainer.
    Seriously appreciate this @zechs

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Hey @CUG have you got axle weights too? If you are 12,400 I'm guessing something like 2/3 of that is on the rear axle?
    I didn't scale it on each corner unfortunately (even though I know a bunch of people with those scales). That would be my bet in terms of ratios. There's a ton of hamburger meat in the back; all the HVAC/Tanks/furnace is rear of the center line of the unit. I have no problem going overkill on tires if it means I'm not busting tires on the side of QE2 anymore. @ExtraSlow

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Blowouts on the highway are a good way to ruin your day. Agree you'd like overkill on the tires. I just use the CAT scales for axle weights. I don't bother with each corner.