Quantcast
Advice needed. Budgeting for a small home (gas, electric, water etc) - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Advice needed. Budgeting for a small home (gas, electric, water etc)

It depends a lot on how well it's built/insulated. Our new place has cheaper utility bills with ~2,700 Sq/ft living space compared to our previous ~1,300 Sq ft place. There are a lot of factors to consider aside from just looking at what other people are paying if you want an accurate estimate.

Our bills are ~$325-350 winter including heated garage, and ~$180-$220 summer running A/C every day. That is for gas/electricity/water combined for 2 people.

Water bill will fluctuate a lot depending on how many people are living there and what kind of yard you have (i.e. a big yard with big garden is going to need lots of watering vs. a concrete pad which needs zero).

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Looking at the age of those sub $400g detached houses, I would guess with basement tenants, your looking around the same bills as I have without. We're massive energy users in an old bungalow with hot tub, fishtanks, atriums, etc and keep the house at 22°c all winter.

We've gotten up to $600 in the dead of winter for gas/elec/water/garbage fees.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Thanks for the info guys. It did not seem as bad as I thought it would be.

@tirebob You are right. I am looking for how much more and how much variance there is. I do put money aside for stuff.
    I always feel buying a place is one part, but keeping it and maintaining it is another. I wanted to keep my current condo and buy a second property, but that might be pushing me to the extreme limits. I can't do it as a single person.

Does that still exist in the Calgary area?
    @Tik-Tok . That is a good question. Perhaps thats something Jordan can give his input on. I have spoken to a couple of realtors and things are going a bit crazy in that price range. Especially with the new mortgage rules coming in. Who knows.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2