Quantcast
Formula 1 Pirelli Gran Premio Del Made In Italy E Dell'emilia Romagna 2021 - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Formula 1 Pirelli Gran Premio Del Made In Italy E Dell'emilia Romagna 2021

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

And wtf is with all the panalties after the race. From lap11 for Stroll. Couldn't they figure that out earlier? FIA is just so fucking useless.

My Ride
    Toyota’s

Quote Originally Posted by GT.....O? View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Does it not seem weird to anyone else that they would give the fastest lap point out with DRS? Fastest lap up until that point was what, mid-high 1.7's... then Lewis gets 1.60 fastest lap passing Norris with DRS...

Also, can anyone explain why they lapped the rear-field for the red-flag? I have a hard time giving Lewis credit for second place when he got a lap for free. (he drove great, but positions 1-9 should be pissed) Or am i totally confused?
    Agreed. It's especially significant on a tight track like Imola where there's only a couple passing zones. It would have been a completely different race if they made him work to unlap himself. But its the same thing with a yellow flag isn't it?

If Max didn't win I'd be a helluva lot more angry about that BS. A RB/Ferrari podium would have been sick (not a Norris fan).

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by GT.....O? View Post
    Does it not seem weird to anyone else that they would give the fastest lap point out with DRS? Fastest lap up until that point was what, mid-high 1.7's... then Lewis gets 1.60 fastest lap passing Norris with DRS...

Also, can anyone explain why they lapped the rear-field for the red-flag? I have a hard time giving Lewis credit for second place when he got a lap for free. (he drove great, but positions 1-9 should be pissed) Or am i totally confused?
    The rule was introduced around 2010 iirc. Basically, SC and red flags ruined the fights on a restart as cars were bunched up with lapped cars out of position. Taking today’s example, after Lewis pit for repairs, he came out behind Verstappen in physical position a lap behind. Without the rule, Ham would’ve restarted between Verstappen and leclerc, and got in the way of a fight (yes I know that wouldn’t have happened today, but would have with closer cars). Also back in the day while lapped cars are trying to get away on a restart, the hectic nature of a restart and fight created dangerous situations where crashes occurred with backmarkers trying to get out of the way.

You can’t restart with actual position because position 2 to 8 would have gained an advantage by lapping Ham in 9th, and teams opted to let lapped cars unlap themselves because they’re lapped cars anyways and shouldn’t affect the race. Hence the lapped cars can now overtake rule, which was actually copied from indycar/IRL. The difference is in f1 the cars physically unlap themselves and gain yet another advantage in having hotter tires. Indycar they let the lapped cars fall back, and credit them a lap. This is because f1s timing system doesn’t support lap credits lol.

They only let you unlap a single lap to basically gtfo of the way of the front runners, and yes, it advantages front runners that got lapped in rare occasions like today. So haas being 2 laps down ended up being 1 lap down instead, while the goal of having them out of the way has been accomplished. This system works extremely well and literally fixed the annoying loss of battles after safety cars back in the day.

There are some situations where this doesn’t happen, I’m not sure when, but I think it’s when lapped cars aren’t out of position on track vs actual position.

SC gives an unfair advantage to everyone bunching up the field anyways, and red flag even more so with a free unlimited pit stop for tires and repairs. Unlapping cars is such a minor advantage usually hence nobody blinks an eye, unless a front running car is stuck back there like today.

Edit - my old man memory ain’t too bad. Rule created in 2007 where the first driver to take advantage of it was... Hamilton at the European Grand Prix haha. Fans hated it even though his tire gamble failed that race. 2009 they got rid of the rule because it took way too long to unlap and extending sc periods too much. Drivers hated it and the rule was reinstated in 2012, and unlapping happens at all red flags, and safety car periods at the discretion of the race director based on length of track, how many drivers out of position, etc. The rule originally came from NASCAR, adopted by Indycar and IRL, then F1.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Russell crashing with Bottas saved the race for Hamilton and Mercedes. But I understand totally why Toto isn't very happy with Russell.

My Ride
    This and that.

Races like these should remind everyone why HAM is the GOAT.

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

Stroll also had a great race, I was a big hater on him but he’s showing his talent. Lando also great race, almost defended ham to the end.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by cloud7 View Post
    Russell crashing with Bottas saved the race for Hamilton and Mercedes. But I understand totally why Toto isn't very happy with Russell.
    And Russell blaming Bottas for the crash... He's easily the most disliked driver for me personally. So much hype, cracks under pressure every single time.

My Ride
    2012 F150, R6

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    The rule was introduced around 2010 iirc. Basically, SC and red flags ruined the fights on a restart as cars were bunched up with lapped cars out of position. Taking today’s example, after Lewis pit for repairs, he came out behind Verstappen in . *SNIP*
    Makes sense, thanks.
    Feel bad for Norris though, realistically if you look at it, Hamilton would have had to pass him twice to get back into second place. *Under race conditions Hamilton still lost the race in my mind* Arguably, Norris had a better race without any incidents, while Hamilton effectively got an extra pit stop and wing replacement for free with zero consequences.

I feel like with the technology in these cars currently would make it easy to do a "staged release" on a reset. Exact timing maybe would be difficult, but if you looked at a percentage at least it keeps advantages/disadvantages of the gap times somewhat similar with a throttle lock or brake release. I dunno...
    Last edited by GT.....O?; 04-19-2021 at 07:37 AM.
    "Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… That’s what gets you."

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Quote Originally Posted by Team_Mclaren View Post
    And Russell blaming Bottas for the crash... He's easily the most disliked driver for me personally. So much hype, cracks under pressure every single time.
    Pisses me off how the British commentators tend to sack ride whatever British drivers do.

Funny how Bottas' flipped Russell the bird and then later claimed he couldn't hear anything that was said.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by davidI View Post
    Pisses me off how the British commentators tend to sack ride whatever British drivers do.

Funny how Bottas' flipped Russell the bird and then later claimed he couldn't hear anything that was said.
    He read lips

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post
    Stroll also had a great race, I was a big hater on him but he’s showing his talent. Lando also great race, almost defended ham to the end.
    I'm of the opinion that, from a constructor's standpoint, AM releasing Perez is a big mistake. But as long as Perez was around, Stroll was never going to be the team's lead driver. Instead they chose to replace with Vettel, who I think is pretty washed at this point. Like Stallone's character in Driven, he's just there to be a clear #2 with a veteran presence.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Exploded.

How does budgeting work in F1?

I'll assume Bottas' car is now a write-off so does that mean 2022 will have an 'unforeseen expense or does AMG have tons of chassis at their disposal?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
    How does budgeting work in F1?

I'll assume Bottas' car is now a write-off so does that mean 2022 will have an 'unforeseen expense or does AMG have tons of chassis at their disposal?
    Toto mentioned that Bottas car is pretty much a write off, and will impact their R&D spend this year because of budget cap. I had no idea we already implemented the budget cap this year.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Toto mentioned that Bottas car is pretty much a write off, and will impact their R&D spend this year because of budget cap. I had no idea we already implemented the budget cap this year.
    my understanding of that (could be wrong) was that Toto was saying - while there is no hard cap this year - they are trying to drop the costs this year in prep for next year - ie its easier to turn a huge ship slowly - like the MB F1 budget, allowing for the cost optimization (and savings) to be realized ahead of time, rather than over a few months in the off season.

question is now, will bottas get a better car? haha (prob not)

My Ride

My Ride
    Bicycle

May be it not joke threat at all....

If you do a good job you’ll be in a Mercedes, if not then we are doing the Renault Clio Cup. And today it was closer to the Renault Clio Cup
    -Wolff

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

Thanks again for sharing the race over meetings. I can't remember the last time I woke up that early on a Sunday! Awesome race
    Machining, Fabricating, Welding etc.

My Ride
    x5 / Mini Roadster

Quote Originally Posted by davidI View Post

I think the 'flip' came from the fact that he was basically t-boned at 190mph.
    Hanging out in H-Town.

Miss the Autobahn

My Ride
    This and that.

Quote Originally Posted by rc51 View Post
    I think the 'flip' came from the fact that he was basically t-boned at 190mph.
    And also because Russell slapped his helmet after approaching him.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    And also because Russell slapped his helmet after approaching him.
    That would do that too

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2