Quantcast
Ethanol free regular (87) octane fuel in Calgary? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ethanol free regular (87) octane fuel in Calgary?

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=AB

Shows several Co-op stations, one was updated as recently as last month (but only richmond has 87), so maybe?..
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I think there's three different questions being answered simultaneously here. Luckily I know the answer to all three.
    1) will buying premium save me money? - No.
    2) if I can find it, will ethanol-free 87 save me money? Yes.
    3) should I be careful to use ethanol free fuel in my lawnmower and other power equipment? Yes.

Truth.

Though if the difference were 10c between regular and premium, , it might save you money. I've gotten almost 10% better fuel economy on the highway with 91 without and 87 with ethanol
    Last edited by Tik-Tok; 04-18-2021 at 12:47 PM.

My Ride
    '91 NA1 ADVAN'D

I think there's three different questions being answered simultaneously here. Luckily I know the answer to all three.
    1) will buying premium save me money? - No.
    2) if I can find it, will ethanol-free 87 save me money? Yes.
    3) should I be careful to use ethanol free fuel in my lawnmower and other power equipment? Yes.
    Yes, that's an eloquent way of summarizing. That said, if there's no direct comparison available between non-ethanol regular and non-ethanol premium, there are instances where the increase in fuel economy between using premium vs. regular w/ ethanol exist. As regular gas prices increase, the marginal difference between premium and regular w/ ethanol decreases; as the price gap between the two remain fairly constant.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thaco View Post
    https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=AB

Shows several Co-op stations, one was updated as recently as last month (but only richmond has 87), so maybe?..
    It's too bad there are no Coop gas stations in the NW that I've seen that offer ethanol-free 87. It wouldn't make much sense to take a trip down there and use up the "savings" at the cost of time and mileage.

Interesting that they don't list some of the stations I've been at that offer ethanol-free 91. (ie. CT Gas+ @ Dalhousie, Chevron 94 on 12th street NE off McKnight etc.
    Last edited by JDMMAN; 04-18-2021 at 02:00 PM.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

I think its hilarious the back and forth about ethanol free vs ethanol fuel.

Its really not worth it... You want me to drive two hours so I can get non-ethanol fuel to put in my lawnmower? Not going to happen.

Same as driving around... I'm not going to go completely out of my way to ensure I get ethanol free gas.

Quote Originally Posted by '93 SR-V View Post
    This CBC article mentioned that Calgary Co-Op would continue to buy fuel from FCL (https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5522789) but is a year old now.

I’ve noticed that if you look at the rack prices for Shell and Petroleum Canada neither of them show a price for e-10 in Calgary which would make me think that they both offer ethanol free 87 octane unless I’m missing something?

https://www.petro-canada.ca/en/business/rack-prices
    https://www.shell.ca/en_ca/business-...k-pricing.html
    You are onto something here.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by JDMMAN View Post
    It's quite possible for the stations that sold the 94 octane Husky/Mohawk (at least back when they did), it may have had significant ethanol content to allow them to have 87 octane non-ethanol?

As for fuel economy, the best I've got out of the 2UZFE was 13.3L/100km on Shell 91V power, next closest was CT Premium at 13.5L/100km. The best I could get on Shell regular was 16L/100km under the same driving conditions which is over 120km difference in range between the regular and Vpower. So for a 100L tank, even at the 20% price difference, the fuel economy gain is ~20.3%. These were calculated pump volume and distance travelled records and not relying on the fuel economy computer.
    That's almost certainly impossible. You should be looking for an error and/or conducting further studies.
    A 20% gain in fuel economy from a vehicle that didn't originally call for 91 octane initially, is too difficult for me to believe.

My Ride
    '91 NA1 ADVAN'D

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    That's almost certainly impossible. You should be looking for an error and/or conducting further studies.
    A 20% gain in fuel economy from a vehicle that didn't originally call for 91 octane initially, is too difficult for me to believe.
    That's one of the reasons why I'm looking for some non-ethanol 87 to eliminate some variables. The biggest one besides fuel was added weight to the bed along with old vs new tires. When I averaged the 13.3L/100km on 91 Vpower it was for a trip to the border and back up. It was empty going down and I had about 800lbs on the way back in cargo but on a fairly worn set of Nokian Rotiiva AT's; the next time I did the same trip, but with Shell regular fuel, I had a set of new Nokian Rotiivas AT's on (same size and same load rating as previous). Perhaps it could have been due to a tailwind both ways on the first trip with the 91V power while the next trip turned out to be headwinds? I know that will be part of the reason for increase fuel consumption. Unfortunately, I can't control wind as a variable in this case. So I'm trying to use longer-term averages.

My Ride
    is faster than yours

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    Especially at our altitude.

I have a john deere ride on lawn mower, at least 7 years old I'd guess. I've owned it for 3. Never put any additives in winter, hell, left it outside last winter because I was going to get one last mow in and a we got a huge dump so outside it sat. Fired right up.

Bought brand new cdn tire mower (doesn't even have a choke or throttle), and a weed eater weed wacker.

All left in a lean-to, no additives. Replaced spark plugs for shits and giggles. Everything fired right up.

Personally, I think the switch to chinese garbage engines in general in the late 90's/early millenium combined with ethanol being added to fuel caused issues. I think modern cheap equipment can handle the fuel a bit better. Plus legitimately fuel has actually progressed quite a bit in the past 20 years.

As for 10c spread, the one near my rural property is in the sticks. Clearly its price gouging on other stations' part if they can charge a 10c spread only. Good on the ones who boost their profit margins like that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2