Quantcast
Stamped Concrete - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stamped Concrete

Default Stamped Concrete

Does anyone here have a Stamped concrete pad as part of their backyard?
    Looking to go that way over paving stones not only base on price but looks as well, but I am not sure its the right choice.
    I want to know about maintenance specially during our winters. Would I need to always shovel the pad? what other maintenance cost are expected?
    Quotes came in around $13 sqft - $20 sqft which is also a bit alarming such price gap, any advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

My Ride
    dad van

The price can change a bunch based on if they are actually doing the job properly. On the cheaper quotes I would asking about depth of slab(and actually checking the prep work VS top of forms) if they are putting brackets in( this should be a yes as it will stop the slab from dropping.). I used to do Concrete line pumping and I've worked with companies that would be on the lower end and companies that would be on the higher end. It does cost more to get the work done correctly. The big thing is you wont see a massive difference with the work right after its done but after the first freeze thaw it can be a big difference. IE your patio is where is should be VS dropped a few inches due to not dowelling in correctly and no brackets.

An easy check of the quality of work would be to see something at least a year old in a new construction area(more settlement due to fresh back fill). look for expansion material around posts and as this will be where cracks start if it's not used.

My Ride
    *The First*

Stamped concrete is a gorgeous luxury and well worth it. It's all or nothing in my opinion. Get something dyed a complex colour and a fancy, textured stamp.

Minimal extra maintenance is required, as far as I'm aware. Actually, I think exposed aggregate has more maintenance.

My Ride
    Silverado

OP, what was the cost difference between paving stones and concrete?

not sure how much of a difference it makes but I am in Lethbridge not Calgary.
    Cheapest stamped concrete quote I got was $13sqft and the cheapest paving stone quote was $17sqft. Paving stone has a lot more room to be expensive depending on the type of materials used.

My Ride
    2011 Audi A6 Avant

I did a stamped concrete patio about 15 years ago on house I used to have. It looked great and never cracked in the 4-5 years I lived there. But the one thing that put me off about it was they applied a sealant/finish to it that was shiny. In the winter, that patio was death when it got a bit of snow on it. If I kept it broomed right down to clean it wasn't bad, but any skiff of snow or bit of packed snow/ice would make it unbelievably slippery. I would have to assume there are different finishes possible. something to look into maybe.

I did a natural stone look that had a bit of texture to it, made getting the patio chairs and grill to sit level a bit more challenging. Were I to do it again I'd go flatter.

My Ride
    has a stick axle

Last edited by KRyn; 03-11-2022 at 10:51 AM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

paving stone is a shitload of labor to do it right. You can do it yourself, but again, it's a shitload of work.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Silverado

looking at doing the side of my house, a pad for all the garbage bins with a path to the backyard.

My Ride
    dad van

Quote Originally Posted by JPB View Post
    I did a stamped concrete patio about 15 years ago on house I used to have. It looked great and never cracked in the 4-5 years I lived there. But the one thing that put me off about it was they applied a sealant/finish to it that was shiny. In the winter, that patio was death when it got a bit of snow on it. If I kept it broomed right down to clean it wasn't bad, but any skiff of snow or bit of packed snow/ice would make it unbelievably slippery. I would have to assume there are different finishes possible. something to look into maybe.
    You can get different sealants with grit in them to give you traction.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by JPB View Post

I did a natural stone look that had a bit of texture to it, made getting the patio chairs and grill to sit level a bit more challenging. Were I to do it again I'd go flatter.
    This is a mild concern. Mine wasn't lethal, but it definitely was slippery. A little sand (NO tiny rocks/stones) fixes it.

My Ride
    Corvette

Did a stamped concrete pad at last place, looked awesome, had diff colors mixed in. It's worth paying more to get it done proper, brackets, rebar, etc

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

Did a large stamped concrete pad (32 x 14'), last year along with 80ft of walkway down the side of my house and 24 feet of stairs. Well worth it.
    All brackets, rebar, and steel beams under the pad. Sealant has a bit of grit traction. Still slipper in winter, but not lethal....Looks amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by CLiVE View Post
    Did a large stamped concrete pad (32 x 14'), last year along with 80ft of walkway down the side of my house and 24 feet of stairs. Well worth it.
    All brackets, rebar, and steel beams under the pad. Sealant has a bit of grit traction. Still slipper in winter, but not lethal....Looks amazing.
    Do you shovel your pad every time it snows?

My Ride
    Canyonero

I did stamped for a front walkway and side yard. I don't think I'd do it again. Slippery as hell; we ended up having to coat it in silica beads which ruins a lot of the glossy look.

IMO folks are downplaying the slipperiness. I was worried for my friends and family and worried for the liability if someone slipped.

I'll only go exposed or broomed in the future.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

some of the exposed are slippery as hell too. I think there's different sealers. Probably the same for stamped. Not all stamped needs to be sealed so much as to be "glossy" does it? I sure hope not. I don't want any concrete to be glossy.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

Quote Originally Posted by 3drian View Post
    Do you shovel your pad every time it snows?
    I do shovel the pad - yes. It isn't slippery, but then again I'm usually wearing proper winter boots not sneakers...

Pic attached, I don't think broom finish, or exposed would have look good in my case, or held up as well.

Name:  patio.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  148.8 KB
    Last edited by CLiVE; 04-27-2021 at 10:20 AM.

My Ride
    *The First*

^Fuck me sideways - is that thing like 18 inches thick!!??

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    ^Fuck me sideways - is that thing like 18 inches thick!!??
    Built into a slope - so there is a false wall that runs down the side to reinforce everything. Rebar 20 inches o/c, and 16 o/c under the hot tub (far side).

Name:  patio2.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  70.8 KB

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I would have used a real wall instead of a false one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast