Quantcast
Can you get a car bumper repaired without insurance claim in calgary? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Can you get a car bumper repaired without insurance claim in calgary?

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Default Can you get a car bumper repaired without insurance claim in calgary?

Wife backed into someone today, settled outside of insurance and wants it repaired. We don't want to use insurance can we pay out of pocket and if its over $2500 how do we go about this. If possible I dont want to replace bumper, just bog the holes up although I looked online the bumper is $250 CAD.

The paint is white with some pearl shit in it.

Name:  bumper.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  17.6 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Could have been over 60% if I wasn’t a paper hand bitch

My Ride
    has a stick axle

Last edited by KRyn; 03-11-2022 at 10:50 AM.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Extraslow and others are telling me if its over $2500 they wont do it without a police sticker. So thats not the case?
    Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post

Could have been over 60% if I wasn’t a paper hand bitch

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    Extraslow and others are telling me if its over $2500 they wont do it without a police sticker. So thats not the case?
    $2000 actually.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

You definitely need a police sticker over $2k.

But that doesn’t have anything to do with insurance, and nbd just head down to the station and explain why you want it.

Is your distinction more so that you don’t want it to hit carfax? Because that’s a stickier problem and very shop to shop.

I had my bumper, damaged less than that, repaired and the total quote was still ~2,800 dollars I think.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

I thought it’s more that it needs a police report / damage sticker, not necessarily that it has to be tied to an insurance claim.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You definitely need a police sticker over $2k.

But that doesn’t have anything to do with insurance, and nbd just head down to the station and explain why you want it.

Is your distinction more so that you don’t want it to hit carfax? Because that’s a stickier problem and very shop to shop.

I had my bumper, damaged less than that, repaired and the total quote was still ~2,800 dollars I think.
    Couldnt care less about carfax we are riding this to the dust. I reckon if my car made a beeping sound when it was getting too close to another car or thing this accident would not have happened.

The cop my wife talked to reckoned it would be $1000 to fix.
    Last edited by nzwasp; 04-26-2021 at 08:24 PM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

IMO best course of action is find a shop, get a quote, if they want to see a police sticker then go get one.

But be prepared to get the sticker, if you are in a hurry there is no harm in getting the sticker now.

However, if there is even a glimmer of desire to run the claim under insurance, say if the quote comes in a lot higher than you want. Don’t let them touch the car before starting the claim.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Canyonero

FWIW I found Dave & Dan at Screamin' Paintworks to be very practical and able to scope a repair to a desired dollar amount. When my wife side-swiped a bollard in a parkade I think i got it fixed to a reasonable degree (meaning, it wasn't perfect but it wasn't as noticeable) for about $500. Give them a visit.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by prae View Post
    FWIW I found Dave & Dan at Screamin' Paintworks to be very practical and able to scope a repair to a desired dollar amount. When my wife side-swiped a bollard in a parkade I think i got it fixed to a reasonable degree (meaning, it wasn't perfect but it wasn't as noticeable) for about $500. Give them a visit.
    The problem is that the other party won't want it to be a cheap reasonable fix, typically. They likely want it to be back to what it once was at least, so it'll be over $1000 easily for a full repaint and blending with labour for disassembly/reassembly.
    If they are not happy, they can easily just say they want to go through insurance and get it fixed proper.

My Ride
    ATS, XC90

As said above, get a quote and see what the shop asks for. There are PLENTY of damages that can be done to a car with no other parties involved - backed into your garage door, scraped a parking curb or fencepost on your yard. Limitless.

So just find a shop, and if they say they need a police sticker then just go tell the police you scraped your fence and the shop says you need a sticker. Done.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Colorworks in Airdrie does some "discount" work for high volume fleets before cars go to the Adessa auction.

Cheap option, and probably one I'd consider for this low-value car, is a rattle-can of "close enough" paint from the triangle store, sprayed onto some scrap cardboard, then brushed with a dollar store brush into the black areas. Bet from 10 feet away it looks fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Rather than going through a shop and trying to deal with all of this, I'd say just replace the bumper. If its 250 online the cost to prep/paint it won't be much. Or even just find a used one. Cheap econo car there should be a number of partouts or ones in a scrap yard. Or even just buy a cheap pre-painted bumper online if you are running the car into the ground.

Edit: Although I just realized you are probably talking about the other parties car, not fixing your own car so maybe the used route isnt a option.

My Ride
    Non Baller Vehicles

Another +1 for Dave and Dan over at Screamin'

They've done a bunch of work for us on various vehicles and aren't bullshit artists so will tell you straight up

If you want a look at their work, check out the UrbanX little 2 door F150. I smoked a deer at 80-90km/h in it and Screamin' made it minty!

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    The problem is that the other party won't want it to be a cheap reasonable fix, typically. They likely want it to be back to what it once was at least, so it'll be over $1000 easily for a full repaint and blending with labour for disassembly/reassembly.
    If they are not happy, they can easily just say they want to go through insurance and get it fixed proper.
    We settled out of insurance already with the other party. All the guy wanted was $500 and he signed a letter saying the matter is handled.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Rather than going through a shop and trying to deal with all of this, I'd say just replace the bumper. If its 250 online the cost to prep/paint it won't be much. Or even just find a used one. Cheap econo car there should be a number of partouts or ones in a scrap yard. Or even just buy a cheap pre-painted bumper online if you are running the car into the ground.

Edit: Although I just realized you are probably talking about the other parties car, not fixing your own car so maybe the used route isnt a option.
    So ive replaced the front bumper before on this same car (self imposed damage) and it was approximately 3k the bumper was $500 (front) and the paint was 2500 - fucking pearl chromatic bs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post

Unsure how it came across that it was someone elses car - definetly my car

My Ride
    Canyonero

Definitely talk to Screamin'. If you dont need a full multi-panel blend and just want it reasonably well-fixed, you can definitely get that fixed well under police sticker territory.

You can save even more money if you remove the bumper yourself and prep, and if you're patient enough to wait for when they're spraying the right colour.

it all depends on where your tolerance in the spectrum of bullshit is.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

I mean I was considering bogging up the holes myself and then getting someone to paint it. Honestly they could just paint it white too. I dont think I need the pearl in it.

Spoke to dan seems like a nice guy - will go check it out later this week
    Last edited by nzwasp; 04-27-2021 at 11:04 AM.

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

a police sticker and an insurance claim are different things, legally, you should have a police sticker for any damage work over $2k.

I bet you could skirt that by just taking the pumper off and asking them to replace it with an aftermarket or junkyard one... that way it's not a damage repair.. probably gonna be similar cost to repairing the existing one anyway
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

First off check if the paint actually came off. Rub a section of the black mark and see if it's just a scuff.

Otherwise yeah, just get a can of paint for it. Dealer might even sell it.

Then go downtown and wait until about 4am and find a graffiti artist to apply it for you.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    First off check if the paint actually came off. Rub a section of the black mark and see if it's just a scuff.

Otherwise yeah, just get a can of paint for it. Dealer might even sell it.

Then go downtown and wait until about 4am and find a graffiti artist to apply it for you.
    The black marks are holes :P

Name:  View recent photos.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  17.4 KB

My paint has this pearl chromatic shit in it - I asked my wife about this, shes like if they have to repaint the bumper I want the pearl
    Last edited by nzwasp; 04-27-2021 at 01:53 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast