Fees for using Kananasikis - Page 6 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Fees for using Kananasikis

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    what's up with camping bookings?
    Campgrounds in Provincial and Federal parks and managed and operated by governments, which means they don't like market forces dictating pricing. Something something middle class something.

It's weird, I don't consider myself poor, but I do consider camping expensive, but also, it's really hard to get a spot, so clearly demand outstrips supply. Weird.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    My issue is its a high fee for one area. Why not just make a Alberta provincial park pass like the Banff pass and then go that route. Raise money for the whole province to improve our campgrounds and parks. Done. All this is going to do is push people to other areas around Kananaskis or into Banff and cause distribution issues as other places get busier.

Private campsites can book whatever they want whenever. Its the provincial parks that use a 90 day rolling window to release spots. So if you want a long weekend you have to book 3 months out. (Though they have shitty rules where people can overbook/slide to get those spots early.
    It’s free to use the rest of Alberta provincial parks. You can pretend this pass applies to those parks too if that makes you feel better.

My understanding is there is some component of this has the goal of disincentivizing the overuse of K country. That’s a feature.

As with any government policy, will the law of unintended consequences apply? Absolutely. No matter what color the flag they are still government.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Campgrounds in Provincial and Federal parks and managed and operated by governments, which means they don't like market forces dictating pricing. Something something middle class something.

It's weird, I don't consider myself poor, but I do consider camping expensive, but also, it's really hard to get a spot, so clearly demand outstrips supply. Weird.
    Is camping expensive? I have no idea.

I occasionally go visit friends at their campsites if it's within driving distance for the day, or maybe close to a hotel. (Both conditions, of course, beg the question of why people are camping in the first place.) I just notice that everything smells like smoke, people are often damp, and you have neighbors in an adjacent campground JUST RIGHT THERE. Also, I'm often sitting on a collapsible chair on a glorified patch of gravel called a "campsite".

I often enjoy my visits to my friends, but then my wife and I get in the car and leave.

Typically optional fees do lower demand assuming that demand has some elasticity.

Guess we'll find out soon enough.

Mandatory fees usually do the opposite - it incentivizes people to use the service.

K-Country was a depressing cesspool of garbage last year, I went south of Calgary and was pleased with the reduced number of idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Hol up, Canmore too?

It now gonna cost me $15 extra to head out to Crazyweed for lunch?
    No, The town of Canmore is private.

Very excited to see Moose Mountain Trailhead in here

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

If anyone was wondering, the 2021 Alberta parks budget is 867 million up from 532 million in the last budget.

So every one of Albertas 1.7 million households were already paying $3-500 a year for parks. If you thought 90 bucks a year was expensive, you should see what you pay in taxes whether you use the parks or not.

This user fee doesn’t even cover the year over year increase in provincial park spending you cheap fucks.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Is camping expensive? I have no idea.

I occasionally go visit friends at their campsites if it's within driving distance for the day, or maybe close to a hotel. (Both conditions, of course, beg the question of why people are camping in the first place.) I just notice that everything smells like smoke, people are often damp, and you have neighbors in an adjacent campground JUST RIGHT THERE. Also, I'm often sitting on a collapsible chair on a glorified patch of gravel called a "campsite".

I often enjoy my visits to my friends, but then my wife and I get in the car and leave.
    It used to be the lower class vacation, because they couldn't afford international travel, trailers used to be fairly inexpensive, and middle class bought cabins for their vacations.

Then it gained momentum with the hipsters all trying to prove how non-city they are, and middle class couldn't afford a cabin anymore because all the lake sites were bought previously. So prices went up.

Now it's because Covid.

Really though, as with everything it's supply/demand and an exponentially increasing population.

If anyone was wondering, the 2021 Alberta parks budget is 867 million up from 532 million in the last budget.

So every one of Albertas 1.7 million households were already paying $3-500 a year for parks. If you thought 90 bucks a year was expensive, you should see what you pay in taxes whether you use the parks or not.

This user fee doesn’t even cover the year over year increase in provincial park spending you cheap fucks.
    Look here, math has no place in a topic involving money.

My Ride
    ute

It sure would be nice if taxes are distributed that way.

In reality, it is probably more like $1500 per year for the households that actually pay taxes.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    lol can the exclusion of Off-Highway Vehicle PLUZ ever more obvious to make sure UCP base doesn't have to pay?
    They're setting up a user-fee system for the OHV areas that was announced before the $90 fee.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

This isn't going to keep people out, or help the budget. It's just pissing off the people that actually enjoy K-Country.

Lake Louise requires a pass. It also saw a massive amount of local Albertans within the park last year because of covid. There was also an uptick in the amount of garbage that was in the park than regular tourist seasons. Fees do not deter disrespectful fuckwads from coming out.

Here's a great idea: charge people for littering with the maximum fine when caught. Don't penalize the general population of users because specific individuals don't give a fuck and now collectively we need to all pay for their laziness.

Think about who's using the parks more now than ever before? People with the ability to travel abroad, not genuinely outdoorsy people who hike, bike or climb in K-Country every weekend. Those traveling abroad folks are now "stuck" using the Parks to do something and clearly like to shit in their own backyard. Fuck those people.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I thought it was a bragging right amongst regular trailer campers on crown land about how literally shitting in our backyard was ok?

fact.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    This isn't going to keep people out, or help the budget. It's just pissing off the people that actually enjoy K-Country.

Lake Louise requires a pass. It also saw a massive amount of local Albertans within the park last year because of covid. There was also an uptick in the amount of garbage that was in the park than regular tourist seasons. Fees do not deter disrespectful fuckwads from coming out.

Here's a great idea: charge people for littering with the maximum fine when caught. Don't penalize the general population of users because specific individuals don't give a fuck and now collectively we need to all pay for their laziness.

Think about who's using the parks more now than ever before? People with the ability to travel abroad, not genuinely outdoorsy people who hike, bike or climb in K-Country every weekend. Those traveling abroad folks are now "stuck" using the Parks to do something and clearly like to shit in their own backyard. Fuck those people.
    Making an argument for personal responsibility.

How un-Canadian.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    Who charges the people? Who pays those people's salaries?

If the fee doesn't actually result in better enforcement then it's a waste of cash but it takes money for such enforcement.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by BerserkerCatSplat View Post
    They're setting up a user-fee system for the OHV areas that was announced before the $90 fee.
    for $30. it makes zero sense that it now costs less for me to go camping on my OHV then go backpacking up a PLUZ in k country..

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Yup. All the fees should be way higher.

fact.

Quote Originally Posted by davidI View Post
    Who charges the people? Who pays those people's salaries?

If the fee doesn't actually result in better enforcement then it's a waste of cash but it takes money for such enforcement.
    Yeah I'm sorta scratching my head wondering why people keep bitching about the fee but also want extra people to enforce the laws.

- - - Updated - - -

Yup. All the fees should be way higher.
    Don't worry about that, if there's one thing gov't is great at it's raising fees.

- - - Updated - - -

I thought it was a bragging right amongst regular trailer campers on crown land about how literally shitting in our backyard was ok?
    That person was... remarkable.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Well lets be clear, that budget is for all of Alberta Environment and Parks, not 'Parks'. Hell, 300+ million is going to the Technology Innovation and Emissions Reduction (TIER) fund which could easily fall under AER..

"Budget 2021 includes $81 million in operating expense for Alberta Parks".
    Last edited by Brent.ff; 04-28-2021 at 10:10 AM.

My Ride
    rally pig

will I have to pay if I'm parking at the Canmore Visitor Center then cycling to Banff?

If you are golfing in K country, you have to pay as well.
    2011 Ram 1500 QC Sport
    2017 Jeep Cherokee Limited

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast